close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Test ride report - 2006 FZ1 and V-Max

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by fnfalman, May 1, 2006.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Ah, the old Mr. Max. Still groovy and formidable after all these years. It's rather wild to ride a cruiser with a turbine-like engine. I overrevved the 1st gear several times because I couldn't feel the vibration. :embarassed:

Torque enough down low to get things rolling and kicks in hard above 4000-RPM all the way to 9000-RPM red line. Terrible suspension and front end design though. It's a shame to see a bike with this great of an engine saddled with crappy suspension and a front end without the correct degree of rake.

At 80-MPH with some crosswinds, the front end started to feel loose. I can't imagine it being too pleasant of an experience to ride this mother to its top speed of 141-MPH (I think that either Cycle World or Motorcyclist radared it about ten years or more ago). Suspension is just sloppy in general and the gearbox was OK for what it is. Brakes could be a lot better considering how powerful this thing is.

I guess it's more of a boulevardier than a high speed demon. Which is a shame because with some tweaks it can be both.

The new FZ1 is a truly formidable machine. It's like a slightly slower BMW K1200R. Alas, the Yamaha demo ride was rather sedentary. We saw 80-MPH on the freeway for maybe three minutes and that was it. I would have loved to flock this mutha the way Aprilia let us flocked their bikes. As it was, I really couldn't tell anything other than the detuned R1 engine makes for a great sport tourer engine.

2. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

Ah yes the new FZ1's are pretty sweet. I was set to replace my 02' ZRX1200R with one this spring but went with a new SV1000S instead. I really like the simplicity/reliability of the twin and lack of maint needed! :supergrin: Not to mention the SV feels so thin compared to the in-lines.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I haven't ridden the SV1000 so I can't comment much on it, but the FZ1 didn't feel all that bulky. I also got to sit on the ZX14 and it didn't feel too bulky or heavy at all. But then when you ride a boxer twin, everything feels skinny.:supergrin: