close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tesla Roadster - interesting read

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SC Tiger, Jul 18, 2012.

1. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

I stumbled across this article on a Tesla roadster and an issue with the battery and found it interesting:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...ain&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=outbrain

Apparently the owner of one of the roadsters left it unplugged for 2 months (give or take) with a low charge and the battery completely "bricked" (went dead and will not charge).

I admit it sounds like the owner screwed up. However, how can you sell a car for $100,000 that can be severely damaged (to the tune of nearly half of the asking price to repair, AFTER the discount the dealer offered) by doing nothing to it in two months?

The comments section is really funny. Some on there state that if you leave a normal car sitting for long enough it won't run either. You know what I would have to do to my truck if I left it sitting idle for two months? Jump start it - MAYBE. It might scream for an oil change but it will start and run, with no significant damage. It might steam for a second because of condensation in the crankcase (and the crack in the cylinder head but that's another issue). Wife's Honda - same thing (more likely to need a jump). Neighbor's Prius (if it wasn't broke down) - same thing.

Another one - if a customer buys a new car and doesn't change the oil in it, he will blow it up. Well, yeah but three problems with that scenario!

1) Most customers know to change their oil
    2) A new engine doesn't cost $40K in most cars
    3) Do they know how ####ing hard that is to screw up like that?

What they don't understand is that if electric cars are going to catch on (which, BTW, I don't think they will) they have to engineer these kinds of failures out of the cars. People know internal combustion and know how to take care of it. On-board diagnostics make it even harder to mess up.

Ease of ownership and value are the keys. If you're going to market to anyone other than greenie-weenie hippies you have to make the car worth what the customer pays for it.

I would especially like to get DanaT's position on this. Should be good since I believe Tesla has received government subsidies.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  2. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

It's old news that didn't get much airing the first time.

I'd sure like to know if bricking the battery is specific to Tesla's, or a problem with all modern battery technology cars.

Be a cold day in Hell I'd buy a Tesla.

3. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

I know but didn't realize it when I put this post up. I linked there from Fox News' website. One thing about Fox I don't like is they will have links to articles that are months old but make you (or me at least) think they are recent.

The Tesla's battery is unique because it is basically a bunch of laptop batteries put together. The Prius uses NiMH batteries so it doesn't have this problem. I'm not sure on the Volt (which is the one with the brightest future IMO if Chevy doesn't screw it up).

I stand by my statements on their business model and lack of design controls against this though.

4. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

This is a problem characterized by many portable tool battery packs. When they are connected in series, and one in the loop discharges more then the others, the subsequent charging can, does not "have to", can, reverse charge the most discharged battery.

causing it to fail.

Not unknown. Engineering can deal with this problem.

5. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

How about a solar panel?

6. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Janice6 - I know they can, but they chose not to. Now they are fixing it.

Hailstorm - a solar panel might give enough to prevent the battery from going "brick" but I still believe the plug-in electric with no on-board power generation capability is a dead-end road. IF (big If) anything like this takes off it will be the serial hybrid similar to the Chevrolet Volt.

The thing that got to me was the arrogance of the Tesla fanboys and how they expect the owner of one of these vehicles to understand all the ins-and-outs. I can see that right now (a little bit) but if they want this car to go mainstream (which it will have to do in order to make an environmental impact if it even does then, which is what the tree-hugging greenie-weenies want) it has to be designed to prevent you from damaging it from something so simple.

Also, from what I've read - it sucks as a roadster. The low-rolling-resistance tires are not conducive to good handling. Top Gear hated the thing (of course the first one they tested broke down).

7. Reswob

Reswob

NiMH is actually more susceptible to energy loss from sitting idle, and 'charging memory' than Lithium-ion. Li-ion is the best battery technology on the market today.

8. aircarver

Properly understood, nobody would want a vehicle with a $40,000 safe dangling over their heads, hanging by a thread ....:shocked:

9. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

True but I think the Tesla needs some sort of battery management system to maintain itself, so if it goes completely dead - killing the system - it starts to damage itself permanently.

NiMH performance may be damaged from going completely dead but it will still work. Plus the Prius' battery back is about 1/4 the price.

For the record I am not a Prius fanboy, but I think the concept has more promise than the Tesla. I still think the Volt is the concept that is the most promising. The only problem is that I'm concerned GM will screw it up somehow (and I'm a GM fan).

10. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Do you want to be sitting on a couple hundred pounds of lithium just after a bad accident?

11. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Actually the Volt had a habit of spontanious combustion after bad (ie severe damage) traffic accidents.

The good news was the combustion would happen about three weeks later in a body shop hold lot (actually I think there was only one incident and it was in the NTSB hold lot after crash testing). Sucks if your GMC 2500 Duramax 4wd with the dented fender is sitting next to it though.

That issue is supposedly fixed, and GM offered a recall to owners of the Volt to have it corrected.

12. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

One of the auto magazines depleted a fully charged Tesla battery pack in under 20 minutes. They were doing a performance and handling test, just like they do on all other ICEmobiles.

13. Gareth68

Gareth68

So, there is absolutely no way to "mothball" the car for 3-4 months without it costing you $40k if access to a charging grid cannot be maintained.

14. aircarver

I suppose you could 'board' it- with Tesla....

Anybody else & it goes wrong they're gonna make it your fault ... :upeyes:

15. Reswob

Reswob

**** no, I want to be sitting on 16 gallons of good ole' 87 octane! I don't agree that electric cars are viable, but li-ion is still the best battery technology on the market. Which is what I thought this thread was about...

16. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Actually what jumped out to me was the high and mighty attitude of the Tesla fanboys more than the battery technology. However the article shows me that at the time of the writing at least the Tesla was not a viable technology.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

17. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Bill Powell will appreciate this because I am sure it has happened to him....

Many years ago when I was but a wee lad I worked for a vintage race team and worked with and around a lot of very vintage cars. One day while having great difficulty with a car made in the early 1900's a comment was uttered "The horse must have REALLY sucked...."

Besides being a great vintage car guy anecdote, it does illustrate a point that new tech has its problems.

18. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Bump for texasgolong.

19. Adjuster

Adjuster

20. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger