Terminology - "Compensated" vs. "Ported"

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SamP250, Jan 30, 2020.

1. 58sniper

58sniper Silver Member

Compensated uses an additional item at the end of the barrel that does vent gas as you mention. But it also uses added mass/weight to help with those as well.

Glock has had ported guns with a 'P' as well. Eventually, practice guns like the 22P and 23P kept the 'P', and ported guns use just the 'C'.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  2. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

The ports on an OEM length barrel are kind of far back. Trust me, the effects of the escaping gases begin pushing downward on the muzzle after the bullet passes the ports but also before it leave the end of the barrel. It still does after the bullet is midair, but the intense compensation is bullet between the ports and end of the barrel.

Ports on an extended barrel are much like a compensator or muzzle brake. The bullet is basically leaving the barrel when the gases hit the vents. The gas is under extreme pressure, so it's going to vent in any direction it can after the bullet passes. If some of the gas is directed straight up, it can only push down on the muzzle, even after the bullet passes. Remember that the bullet never touches a threaded brake or compensator. It's why ports at the end of the extended barrel work the same way.

3. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

'Compensated' uses some kind of device that creates a negative effect of recoil and/or muzzle flip through the redirection of some of the escaping, pressuring gas. If it's a ported, OEM length barrel, it is still 'compensated'. There is no additional weight with an OEM length ported barrel like there is with a threaded compensator or brake.
    YunderstandingthediffbetweencompensatorandcompensatedMMV

eta - YitsprollybeatingadeadhorsetimeMMV

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  4. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

FullClip likes this.
  5. SamP250

SamP250

I had to come back to this forum after I came across some simple info from Glock's site. As it turns out, "Compensated" does not mean it's a device attached to the gun. There are devices called "Compensators" but that alone doesn't determine the definition of the word "Compensated" as it applies to a Glock. If a Glock pistol has a ported slide and barrel, then it is a compensated Glock. If it has an aftermarket device for reducing recoil, then it's also a compensated Glock. I appreciate all the responses I got, for sure. Apparently this subject has been debated before, or at the least has been a source of confusion or disagreement, or misunderstanding.
    https://eu.glock.com/en/technology/compensator-pistols

6. SamP250

SamP250

Apparently Glock considers it's pistols to be "Compensated" if the slide and barrel are ported. No aftermarket attached device necessary to achieve that status. The act of "compensation" happens with the recoil/muzzle blast is reduced because of the porting.

7. SamP250

SamP250

I don't know who all really cares about this string of posts anymore, but I think I came across the simplest of answers, where GLOCK is concerned, anyway. A Glock with a ported barrel and slide, IS a compensated pistol. But then so is a Glock that only has a device of some kind attached to the barrel, for the purpose of reducing muzzle blast.

8. DrewBone

DrewBone

I would rely on the universally defined definition of "compensated" that was intoduced in the 1970's for competition use than I would a sole firearm manufacturer who decided to incorrectly define decades later what was already universally defined as porting.

9. SamP250

SamP250

Where exactly are you getting this "universally defined" info? I'm finding similar info between Glock, S&W, Springfield, etc as to what porting and compensation is. "Compensated" was apparently orginally called "Muzzle breaking" and goes much further back than the 70s, and was never just about competition. It's military in origin from what I see. But there does't appear to be any one single universally recognized definition, from what I can see. I'm interested in the historical aspect of porting and compensating if you have links beyond what I've found. Thanks.

10. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

A good way to remember the correct spelling is that a muzzle "Brake" is so named because it's like the brakes in your car that slows your car down. And a muzzle brake slows down the rearward motion of your muzzle.

Also muzzle brakes are more effective than ports because they add a larger chamber to direct combustion gasses than is possible with just the thickness of the barrel. And a compensator is more like a muzzle brake than it is a muzzle port.

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  11. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

In the end, it all comes down to this, no matter who builds the gun:
    1) gun with ported OEM length barrel and vented slide = compensated

2) gun with extended length ported barrel and no slide vents = compensated

3) gun with compensator attached to threaded barrel = compensated

4) gun with muzzle brake on threaded barrel = compensated

5) gun with dual duty compensator/brake = compensated.

My Tracker .44 mag revolver has built in ports but the actual barrel end is just before the ports. It does not fall in any of the categories above. It is also 'compensated'. https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-conten...994_05_taurus_44_mag_tracker_revolver_640.jpg

YlastwordfreakMMV

12. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

No, still 2 different things. Porting works while the bullet is still in the barrel, and the comp works after the bullet leaves the barrel.

13. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Both what you describe are ultimately 'compensated'. Each device is a little different but they both work to apply force against an already existing force to reduce trauma. It's not that hard to understand, my friend. ;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  14. SamP250

SamP250

Got to go with the way Harold broke it down. Also, it seems this has become somewhat of an issue of the mechanical/grammar usage of the words. All those possible setups amount to a gun being compensated. "Porting" is not an action that happens when a gun is fired. "Porting" is the act of creating the ports, either on the barrel, the slide, or both. A "Ported" barrel contributes to the action of compensation - that act being the reduction of a force.

15. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

Terminology is often just something generally agreed to within a community, a lot less black and white than most would want. Glock was the first I recall that kind of stepped outside the lines bluring what others had tried to draw a clear difference between.

**WARNING POSSIBLE SEIZURE INDUCING HAZZARD BELOW**

Webster’s dictionary clearly defines “clip” as an acceptable synonym for “magazine“.

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  16. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

Oh boy... now you've done it!

17. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

Yep, your right, best just delete this account, scrub my hard drive and move to Belize :frown:

18. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

3BD3AEF9-548A-45CD-8241-2923071EEABD.jpeg LOL, well first off does Glock still Port their barrels?

Magnaporting was doing business in the 70’s, they did a Ruger for me, they are still around today. Glock was not making pistols in the 70’s, in fact business was overseas and doing curtain rods.

Glocks Misuse of words predominates.....Glock Perfection comes immediately to mind. The attempt to proclaim a 3-1/2 # trigger in their target model 34 was determined bogus and 4-1/2# nomeclature replaced the fib,
    after Competitors made the same false claims.

You can fight the fan bois theme, and be a good little customer, it does make for entertainment. I’ll leave you with a updated Ruger which has been ported.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  19. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Not everything in German translates exactly to English correctly, nor does everything in English come out right. A clip is not a magazine. A clip is a device to load a magazine with, but a magazine is what loads the gun. Moon clips load the magazine (cylinder) on a revolver, stripper clips load the magazine on auto pistols and auto rifles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

harold63 likes this.
  20. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Early compensator on 1911 Open Division gun, long before Glock porting. I still have my original Pro Point.

[​IMG]

MagnaPorted Super Blackhawk from the 70's

[​IMG]

harold63 likes this.