Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was umpiring a youth baseball game last night and one of the teams was coached by a State Trooper. I asked him if they were going to go 9mm soon and he said next month. There are supposed to switch from the Glock 31 and Glock 33 to 9mm. I asked him what they were going to and he said a 17 with a shorter slide which I assume is the 45-which makes sense because it would be easier to sit in the vehicle with a shorter slide. He said they were getting the 43X as a back up piece. That doesn`t make sense as a back up. It makes sense as an off duty handgun. I wonder if they are getting the 43 for back up on their person and a 43X for off-duty? That would make more sense.

·
Registered
37,726 Posts
Makes sense. The decline of interest in .357SIG among LE/Gov users has been accelerating a bit in recent years.

If they decided to issue the 43X as a Secondary/Off-duty weapon, versus the G43, that might understandably be because the grip length of the 43X offers a bit "more" of a grip for many shooters. The extra rounds might be something the agency decision-makers desired, too, being closer to the G33's mag capacity.

Whatever carry method they required or approved for the outgoing G33's, it would probably work just fine for the new 43X's.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
I was umpiring a youth baseball game last night and one of the teams was coached by a State Trooper. I asked him if they were going to go 9mm soon and he said next month. There are supposed to switch from the Glock 31 and Glock 33 to 9mm. I asked him what they were going to and he said a 17 with a shorter slide which I assume is the 45-which makes sense because it would be easier to sit in the vehicle with a shorter slide. He said they were getting the 43X as a back up piece. That doesn`t make sense as a back up. It makes sense as an off duty handgun. I wonder if they are getting the 43 for back up on their person and a 43X for off-duty? That would make more sense.
Why do you think the a G43X which takes the same ammunition as a G45 is not a good choice?
What does not make sense is them being issued 3 pistols as you suggest.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
no way on gods green earth will the guys be issued a duty gun, a backup and an off duty piece. the 43x does seem big for a backup gun. will be interesting to see it pan out. suddenly I am back in love with 357SIG at the thought of obtaining a THP marked G31.

what if GTDIST gets all the guns and ammo like they did with the FHP G37s?? Take my money.

I hate the trend to 9MM. I am would be hard pressed to choose a better firearm for HP type work than a G31 loaded w/ 16 rds of screaming gold dots and 30 more readily at your disposal.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Why do you think the a G43X which takes the same ammunition as a G45 is not a good choice?
What does not make sense is them being issued 3 pistols as you suggest.
same ammo yes, same mags, no. if I am unloaded a 17 mag to fill a 43x mag due to some strange critical failure of one or the other, I may as well be dead at that point. lol.

·
Registered
24,841 Posts
no way on gods green earth will the guys be issued a duty gun, a backup and an off duty piece. the 43x does seem big for a backup gun. will be interesting to see it pan out. suddenly I am back in love with 357SIG at the thought of obtaining a THP marked G31.

what if GTDIST gets all the guns and ammo like they did with the FHP G37s?? Take my money.

I hate the trend to 9MM. I am would be hard pressed to choose a better firearm for HP type work than a G31 loaded w/ 16 rds of screaming gold dots and 30 more readily at your disposal.
Is it sad that I had the same thought??? We could have another epic thread with us acquiring those guns

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The 357 Sig is one of my favorite calibers. A Gen 4 33 is what I carry most days with a 32 or 31 mag as my extra. A few years back I picked up a Gen 3 31 LEO trade-in, but I don't know what agency it came from. Also have the 32 covered, but I'm sure I can find room for another Sig in the safe!

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Is it sad that I had the same thought??? We could have another epic thread with us acquiring those guns
hell yeah man! Would be the start of a nice PD collection. I love my full size glocks. still lusting for a 22 RTF

??? 43x too big?

i used to carry my 32 as my on duty backup to my 31 before I bought a 33.
I reckon it'd depend on your carry method... for us, it would not work. how did you carry another duty size gun on your person?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Many agencies issue a backup gun. Michigan State Police use to issue a S&W 640 as a backup to their P226 40 cal. Town next to mine issued a G27 as a backup to G22. The 43X would be harder to conceal than a G43 in the usual uniformed backup locations (IWB behind the mag case, pocket carry, ankle and vest pocket).

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
I had it in an uncle mikes in the pants cheap holster on my body armor. The body armor straps held it in. Rip shirt and go.
now with external carriers I am using a 43X in pants pocket.
interesting... that didn't make a huge bulge in the shirt?? IDK I am one for tight fitting shirts.
we rock ankle rigs, so that is where my too big for duty use comment comes from.

·
Gunslinger
2,115 Posts
I always liked the .357 SIG a lot, and have owned a G31, a G32, two G33’s, a SIG P229, and an H&K P2000sk in the caliber. I thought I must have been the last guy in earth to adopt the 9mm, but now that I have I honestly don’t know what took me so long. With the cost/availability of ammunition being what it is, I really don’t know how places are able to sell pistols in anything other than 9mm currently. I’d say these Highway Patrolmen are likely to be very happy with the change.

·
Registered
37,726 Posts
I always liked the .357 SIG a lot, and have owned a G31, a G32, two G33’s, a SIG P229, and an H&K P2000sk in the caliber. I thought I must have been the last guy in earth to adopt the 9mm, but now that I have I honestly don’t know what took me so long. With the cost/availability of ammunition being what it is, I really don’t know how places are able to sell pistols in anything other than 9mm currently. I’d say these Highway Patrolmen are likely to be very happy with the change.
I was the same way as a younger cop, having been a stalwart aficionado of .45ACP. Of course, in those days I was still a true believer in MV & ME, too.

I came to 9mm kicking and *****ing about losing my .357MAG service revolver. :ROFLMAO: Of course, while I found the 125gr JHP .357 Magnum loads to be acceptable, I preferred 140gr or 145gr JHP's.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts