Tenifer Glock 19 Gen 4?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jhc37013, Jun 14, 2020.

1. jhc37013

jhc37013

Yesterday I found this Glock 19 Gen4 with Trijicon HD sights for sale used at a local gun shop, the first thing I noticed is the finish it has the old school look to it, I know that tenifer is not a finish but a treatment but I remember the tenifer Glocks looked like the one I just bought. It had a price tag of $499 and I bought it right up quickly. The previous owner had traded it in just a couple hours before I found it, the info on it was it was carried a lot but didn't shoot it much.

First I didn't know Glock made any gen 4 19's with Tenifer treatment if this is indeed Tenifer treated heck I don't know but I like the outer finish that it has.

Inside the box it had the little yellow envelope with brass inside with a test date of April 2012. This one is in fantastic condition the finish is still pretty much flawless even though it wasn't shot a lot I went ahead and changed out all the springs including the slide stop, I can't help but do that I have plenty of OEM spare parts and springs so might bad well. The HD's are still plenty bright and not scratched up or beat up.

Again unless I'm wrong but it looks like it to me and everyone at the shop and range thought it was Tenifer as well, maybe they are more common than I think possibly? I don't know but I'm glad to have it no matter the finish, I will shoot it alot, carry a lot and take good care of it. Pics below[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    AnthonyC and 2740dmx like this.
  2. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

I think you have a powder coated finish or whatever they changed to in the gen4s.Tenifer is a treatment of the metal itself. The frying pan Teflon finish that is on my gen3s is much finer and slicker. Your barrel will show you what tenifer or melonite treated metal looks like. Anyway nice score on fine weapon

3. jhc37013

jhc37013

Thanks for the info I knew the tenifer was a metal treatment but I thought the powder coat look was a indication of the tenifer finished Glocks but maybe not. Either way the finish is really nice and held up very well since 2012 I'm excited to have it thank you.

4. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

No problem I’m no expert by no means. It’s hard to tell from pics and you posted some great pics.From what I’ve read Glock changed the tenifer or whatever the technical term is to stop using cyanide in the process but the end results was just as durable. They did change what they used for the slide finish. (Probably to save money) like all company’s do.

5. pors12

pors12

Hi,

I have a 34/4 with the same finish .
    It is the normal " Glock " finish, but I think the "sand blasting" was
    a little bit to heavy.

regards

6. jhc37013

jhc37013

I like the sand blasting then it provides a little extra grip and I like the look.

Do we know for sure exactly when Glock stopped the tenifer treatment I remeber it was sometime close to the Gen 4 release. This 19 has a test date of April 2012 and 6 digit serial number the first three are SYTxxx.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  7. pors12

pors12

I just bought this G34 slide only, about a year ago ,
    because the original slide to this gun was " worn out" .

The finish on other new guns I saw in the last few month ,
    was like the normal finish is .

regards

SDC11403.JPG SDC11404.JPG

2740dmx likes this.
  8. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

9. Crane1

Crane1

Please expound on the "worn out" slide.

10. pors12

pors12

I put a lot of rounds trough .... a tiny crack in the front
    of the slide , but everthing OK regarding the amount of rounds .

regards

11. Crane1

Crane1

Why didn't you send it back?

12. pors12

pors12

I do not live in the US .

We have limited warranty on the products here in Austria ( 1 year ...).
    The slide was 5 years plus , and did a good job !
    I am gundealer here in AT so I got a good price on the new slide ,
    everything good for me so far .

regards

GotWhatINeed and 2740dmx like this.
  13. Crane1

Crane1

14. 2740dmx

2740dmx

I don't know what they call that finish (that the OP showed) but it's my favorite finish that Glock used... wish they never changed from it to the various finishes that you find now...

pors12 likes this.
  15. pors12

pors12

I think they are going more and more to DLC coatings in the future ....

16. Toocool45

Toocool45

jhc37013, you did good with your new purchase. I would have bought that without even thinking about it. It took me six months to find a nice Gen 4 19 like yours. Altough not really rare, its fairly scare. Especially in good shape. Plus you got the killer sights already on it!
    Here it my take on the finish, for what its worth. Im no expert but have some experience with this finish. Ive contacted Glock numerous times to try to get to the truth. The tenifer metal treatment was made till 2009 or 2010 depending on model. So what you have is a gas nitrated finish? So they tell me. I call it frying pan finish. It was made from 2010-2014 depending on models the date is early or later. I have seen none later than mid 2014 with this finish. Including USA produced models. It is a very durable finish. Almost as tough as tenifer guns. (I know tenifer is a metal treatment). It has a surface ripple like the old rock chip paint on the bottom of rocker panels, quarter panels, and fenders in earlier years. When auto manufactures were trying to make painted panels chip resistant. But this frying pan finish will wear with harsh usage/abuse, just seems to be more wear resistant.

17. Toocool45

Toocool45

They also did make this crackle? Finished on tenifer guns in the late 2000s ? Not the same?

18. jhc37013

jhc37013

Hey thanks for all that information so tenifer was gone around 2010 and this finish I have and you like as as well was a gas nitride Glock used until about 2014 if I understand.

The only only thing is I remeber buying a new Gen 4 19 about the time they was released and I think I remember the finish everyone complained about, the dull grey(ish) looking flat finish and that was new to me I never liked that finish much either.

I've personally definitely not seen a Gen 4 19 with this finish I originally posted above before yesterday, could have been because it was so long ago maybe there was some around but all I've ever seen is the newer dull looking finishes in the Gen 4. That's why I was thrown off when I seen this one.

19. Toocool45

Toocool45

Like I said its pretty scarce. Not many people get up off of the Gen 4 19 models with this finish. Unless glock is feeding me a line of BS thats what ive been told about the 2010-2014 frying pan finish. Consider yourself lucky to find it. Saturday at a gunshow someone was selling a gen 3 tenifer 19 made around 2007-09 he was asking 625. That dude over paid. Prescratched and holster wear and all. It lasted 10 minutes that I saw? So your price with those sights in this scared/frenzy buying was not all that high. If you think you paid too much.

20. jhc37013

jhc37013

Oh I definitely felt lucky to find it or any 19 for that matter it's crazy right now, for a week I was actively searching for a 19 Gen 4 and could not find one within 75 miles of me which is all of middle Tennessee.

After searching a for a week couple I called this shop to ask if they had a 19 and they told me someone just traded one in and they told me it had HD's, $499 was a good deal for sure.