Ten Worst Insurance Companies in America

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by goldenlight, Feb 28, 2010.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight

The subject of insurance comes up from time to time here on GT.

I switched from Farmers Insurance to Geico, and cut my car and homeowner's insurance almost in half, and with BETTER coverage: lower deductibles, much higher limits, etc.

I found this to be very interesting:

Ten Worst Insurance Companies in America

http://law.freeadvice.com/insurance_law/insurers_bad_faith/ten-worst-insurance-companies.htm

The American Association of Justice (AAJ) has named the ten worst insurance companies in America based on claim denials, premium increases and refusing insurance to those who need it most. So, who’s on the list? Some of the names – and what they did to make the list – might surprise you.

How the report was conducted

According to the AAJ’s recent report entitled, The Ten Worst Insurance Companies in America – How They Raise Premiums, Deny Claims and Refuse Insurance to Those Who Need It Most, researchers investigated thousands of court documents, as well as records from the Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and state insurance departments. They also looked at news reports and testimony from the insurers’ former agents and adjusters. The report provides conclusions about the insurance industry as a whole, lists the ten worst insurers and explains why they made the list.

These ten companies were named the worst insurers in America for denying claims, raising premiums, refusing insurance to those who need it most and many other reasons:

1. Allstate
    2. Unum
    3. AIG
    4. State Farm
    5. Conseco
    6. WellPoint
    7. Farmers
    8. United Health
    9. Torchmark
    10. Liberty Mutual

Check the website, and read some of the stories. A real eye opener.

2. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

3. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

I agree with Allstate being #1. Been with them one year, raised my premiums from $800. every six months to $1100.00. Just in one year. Going to drop them like a hot potato soon as my policy is up. Nationwide should be second.

4. Ragnar

Ragnar

Where is the list of ten best?

5. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

I would have expected Snake Farm to be in the #1 position.

6. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

Geico and USAA have to be one the ten best...

7. 540mope

540mope

x100000

those slimey turds tried their damndest to deny me a payment to fix what one of their auto policy holders screwed up...didn't matter to them that their customer was at fault.
    they finally paid, but they fought long and hard

8. idahoglock

idahoglock I'm Not Funny

For business coverage, American Family has to be the worst. I've watched them botch coverage limits, deny claims even though coverage was explicitly defined in the policy, and take more than 30 days to respond to written inquiries. Finally filed a complaint with the insurance commissioner and they even fouled up responding to the state. AmFam, as they like to call themselves, have nearly driven this company out of business. Unethical, unorganized, and borderline criminal.

9. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

The hartford should be top of that list, they are crooks and full of lies
    Regards
    DW

10. crushproof

crushproof

+1 on hartford, after my house was broken into last year, they denied my claim even though i had receipts for most of the stuff taken.... still thinking of getting a lawyer, of if just cutting my losses and moving on, but they are damn crooks don't get hartford

11. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

12. mailman994

mailman994 NRA Member

Allsatan is the worst. Anyone with them better not ever file a claim.

On the other hand, I have never had a problem with State Farm. I have had several claims on my car ins. and they were great to work with.

13. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

I never had a problem with State Farm. A few years ago we had a tornado here and they set up a claim center to have your vehicle inspected for hail damage. Mine didn't look to bad, nothing that was really noticeable but went anyway. Guy did his thing and saw a bad spot that was already there and I told him it was there before the storm. He said may as well get that fixed too, cut me a check.

My auto rate actually has gone down also.

14. silentpoet

silentpoet

I am surprised Uncle sam is not on the list.

15. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

My homeowners insurance is with Allstate, my car was with AIG. My car policy was up for renewal last month so I got a quote from Allstate. I figured it should be cheaper since I'd then have multiple policies with the same company.

Well, even with already having homeowners through them, the six month premium Allstate quoted me was about $100 more for the exact same coverage than what I was paying with AIG.

I told them that was ridiculous. They said that's just the way it is. And on top of that, they told me if I don't have car insurance with them when my homeowners policy is up for renewal in Sep, my homeowners rate will increase significantly.

So I'm done with Allstate. I got my car insured with USAA, and I'll probably go with USAA when I renew my homeowners in Sep.

16. 9508

He is, in the form of his money-laundering arm, AIG.

17. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

After Katrina, and seeing how far State Farm went to avoid paying claims, I am surprised they are not number one.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  18. cphilip

cphilip

Been with a lot of them over the years but for about the last 20 or I have been with Nationwide. And they have always done me right.

19. Z71bill

Z71bill

Is this basically just a list of the largest insurance companies?

20. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

Insurance is biggest scam ever invented. If insurance company's actualy helped, it would be a different story. Instead, they take in billions of dollars and give back very, very little.

They have no problem taking your money, but when it comes to you needing their help, all they want to do is put you on a "treadmill" of endless toll free numbers, being transfered to so called "customer service representitives", being disconnected, and in the end getting nowhere.

:steamed: