close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ten Retired KSP Troopers Return To Active Duty

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Captain38, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Captain38

Captain38

Ten Kentucky State Police troopers made history on March 15 as they took their oath of office in Frankfort from Kentucky Court of Appeals Chief Justice Sara Combs. Pledging to support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Commonwealth of Kentucky and to perform their duties faithfully and impartially, they became the first group of retired troopers to return to active duty under the Trooper R classification, a program authorized by the 2009 state legislature that permits the re-employment of retired troopers on a contractual basis.

“These veteran troopers represent a total of 267 years of law enforcement experience,” said KSP Commissioner Rodney Brewer. “Their return to duty further enhances the ability of the Kentucky State Police to provide effective law enforcement services to the citizens of Kentucky.”

The reactivated troopers include:
    Stephen C. Humphreys, of Murray, Ky. Humphreys retired as a captain in 2006 after 26 years of service. He will be assigned to KSP Post 1 in Mayfield.

Kenneth W. Mayfield, of Bowling Green, Ky. Mayfield retired as a major in 2008 after 34 years of service. He will be assigned to KSP Post 3 in Bowling Green.

Paul D. Oldham, of Rineyville, Ky. Oldham retired as a senior trooper in 2009 after 21 years of service. He will be assigned to KSP Post 4 in Elizabethtown.

Thomas A. Miller, of Harlan, Ky. Miller retired as a sergeant in 2008 after 33 years of service. He will be assigned to KSP Post 10 in Harlan.

Roy Pace, Jr., of Pineville, Ky. Pace retired as a senior trooper in 2008 after 23 years of service. He will be assigned to KSP Post 10 in Harlan.

Curtis C. Pingleton, of Pineville, Ky. Pingleton retired as a senior trooper in 2009 after 23 years of service. He will be assigned to KSP Post 10 in Harlan.

Robert B. Hawkins, of Frankfort, Ky. Hawkins retired as a senior trooper in 2009 after 32 years of service. He will be assigned to KSP Post 12 in Frankfort.

Kenneth W. Perkins, of Columbia, Ky. Perkins retired as a senior trooper in 2009 after 30 years of service. He will be assigned to KSP Post 15 in Columbia.

Ricky V. Underwood, of Campbellsville, Ky. Underwood retired as a senior trooper in 2008 after 19 years of service. He will be assigned to KSP Post 15 in Columbia.

Tony R. Wells, of Burkesville, Ky. Wells retired as a senior trooper in 2008 after 26 years of service. He will be assigned to KSP Post 15 in Columbia.

“After a brief period of refresher training at the KSP Academy, these troopers will be assigned to road patrol duties throughout the state,” said Brewer. “Their years of experience will be put to use on the front lines of our law enforcement activities. Their presence will provide a welcome boost to our manpower resources with decreased training costs.”

With the addition of the 10 troopers, KSP will field a force of 873 sworn troopers. The agency’s authorized full strength level is 1,070 sworn troopers. (A new 23-week training class for KSP cadets begins on April 11.)

House Bill 410, passed on June 25, 2009, created the position of Trooper R Class, which is defined as a Kentucky State Police officer, who retired from service as a commissioned officer under KRS Chapter 16, and is re-employed under KRS 16.196 – 16.199. Troopers falling under this classification are employed on a contractual basis and are vested with the powers and duties of any peace officer commissioned under KRS Chapter 16.

To be employed as a Trooper R Class, a Chapter 16 retiree must have retired as a member of the State Police Retirement System with at least 20 years of service credit; have been separated from service for a period of no less than one month and no more than 60 months; have retired willingly with no administrative charges pending and have retired with no pre-existing agreement with the Kentucky State Police to return to work for the department.

KSP is currently processing applications for additional Trooper R candidates, but no start dates have been determined at this time.

2. acpd442

acpd442

If they can still do the job, more power to them. Way to go gentlemen.:thumbsup:

3. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

We do that with retirees. Most of the guys who have retired in the last few years go to work as extra help (part time) deputies, mainly working court security and civil. It's an easy one or two day a week gig for them, and it's good for the department, as we are badly short on staff and on a hiring freeze. They also don't get paid any benefits, so the department benefits fiscally as well.

4. Patchman

Patchman Florist

There's a similar move in our agency. Are these troopers reemployed to their prior-to-retirement rank?

5. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

I think it depends on assignment but usually they try and maintain the retired officers rank but usually not his position or assignment.

6. Captain38

Captain38

As I understand it, the major, captain and sergeant will be troopers (R Class) just like the other seven and will be working routine patrol assignments.

While several worked the same post area they had been assigned to at the time of their retirement, all seem to have been assigned to the posts where they have been most recently making their residences, so no relocation of their domiciles were required.

7. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I don't know how the Major, Capt., and Sgt., will transition back to being a "regular" trooper, but I'm sure all ten of them are elated to get a second chance to put their helmets on and get back in the game. Maybe even make that big score for the team. God bless.

BTY, I did a quick addition and between them all, there's 267 years of LE experience there. Hope KSP won't waste this second bite at the apple.

Where I'm at, the last person to retire gets blamed for all the things that's gone wrong.:supergrin: Hope it's different at the KSP.:whistling:

8. 4949shooter

4949shooter

This is interesting.

9. G-man

G-man Millennium Member

We have a guy at my local PD who retired as Capt. at the neighboring PD and is just a patrol officer now. He's a good decent guy, good cop and is as he told me collecting full captains pension and making a good living as a patrol officer here.

It's funny because I always knew him as captain and called him such and now I see him out and about as just an officer.

No ego issues so that isn't a problem for him.

If they are still able to do it then all power to them.

G-man
    1*

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  10. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

It's a good thing. Some federal agencies do something similar, but I don't think it's done in a law enforcment capacity. Support role of some sort, and they pay them up to what they would get as a full time employee by combining their retirement and their wage into into something that would be similar to a and actual wage with their retirement figured in.

Others transfer from LE positions to non LE positions with a little bit better pay, so that they keep the high three up, and continue to add to their TSP.

11. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

A lot of the smaller agencies do this with LAPD and LASO retirees since those 2 biggies are on their own retirement systems and most everyone else is on PERS so the retiree can vest a second retirement with PERS with 5 more years of service, along with collecting their LA City or County retirements along the way.

Heck, if it weren't for retirees from the bigger agencies, some departments here wouldn't exist or would be running on 2 guys only. Burbank Airport PD is one that actively recruits retirees.

12. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

Texas did this for quite a while and actually just stopped recently. It worked well for them.

Call me a pessimist, but the whole "desk jockey to patrol roller" thing doesn't inspire confidence in me. Especially after all those years and with that much desk-rogen flowing through their bodies I hope they can find a way to produce enough testosterone to keep up on the streets. Heck, I hope they can find their guns after they've been sitting in a desk drawer for that long.

Sorry, just gotta give the brass boys a lil flack. I hope they enjoy themselves and are able to show some youngins a thing or two.

But I also hope they were decent supervisors, because if not, there will be a whole mess of corporals through lieutenants wanting to get a piece of them for payback.

"Nope, sorry senior trooper, the report still isn't correct. Do it again and get it right this time or else I'll have to write you up, just like you wrote me up back in '99 for the same thing. No pressure."

13. p.d.

p.d.

It all sounds real good until you check and see that the state retirement system will not let any other departments rehire veteran officers without severe financial penalties. We have to pay into the retirement system, but the rehired officer does not have any entitlement to that money, and we have to pay the retirement system for a portion of his or her healthcare, which is normally funded in total by the retirement system. If KSP rehires are in the same situation, good and well. If not, well, the commonwealth helped cause the problem with the retirement system by not funding to the required level, and this will just add to that stress. The really crappy thing is that we can hire retired officers from other states, just not our own. Brilliant.

14. 4949shooter

4949shooter

I take it these retired troopers will be hired in the interim, until the new recruit class gets out?

15. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Interesting for sure.

But it would appear KSP already violated it's own requirements with these guys.

20yrs service required to be eligible and the one trooper only had 19yrs.????:whistling:

I also wonder WHY? Most guys I know that have retired, including myself, are happy retired.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  16. tudor128

tudor128

Kentucky's retirement system allows you to buy time for "qualified" service, which includes military time, time spent in another state's retirement system, etc. It doesn't count towards your health benefit, but does allow you to start collecting your monthly pension check earlier. I'd guess that's probably what allowed him to retire with only 19 years at KSP.

17. dp509

dp509 2009 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

I noticed that also :dunno:

Alabama is the same way.

Good Luck to all.........:wavey: