Ten Defensive-Pistol Myths Busted

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by JAMROCK, Sep 22, 2020.

1. JAMROCK

JAMROCK Working Member

These are the ones I could think of quickly. Feel free to add any more...

1. “Practice makes perfect “- BUSTED! - “Perfect Practice makes Perfect!”

2. “Practice till you get it right” - BUSTED! - “Practice till you can’t get it wrong!”

3. Watch the front sight - BUSTED!
    Watch the (potential) target(s) - see what they’re holding/doing with their hands, see if they’re moving and where, what is beside/behind them…Watch the target!

4. Kneel or lie prone to make yourself a smaller target and steady your shot - BUSTED!
    Kneeling or going prone makes you stationary. Being stationary makes you an easier target. Additionally, warheads from bullets don’t bounce - they tend to skid along a surface, so even if your attacker fires in front of you, the warhead can skid along the ground and hit you.

5. “I keep ammo in my gun for years - they still look good” - BUSTED!
    By its very design, the warhead must be able to leave the shell casing and move down the barrel when fired. The seal between the warhead and the casing cannot be permanent - therefore, over time, the warhead can move slightly. Further, the seal between the sides of the warhead and casing can allow condensed moisture and molecules of lubricant form the firearm to leak into the gun powder inside the casing - causing a squib.

6. “I go to the range regularly, so if/when the time comes I’ll be able to defend myself from an attack” - BUSTED!
    Based on my 25 years of observation, 99% of persons who go to the range stand in front of a single target out at 10yds, load up and proceed to blast away at the target.
    This is NOT defensive pistol training!
    They don’t practice to quickly draw and present the firearm,
    They don’t practice drawing and turning or moving,
    They don’t practice moving to cover,
    They don’t practice shooting from a variety of positions,
    They don’t practice engaging multiple targets,
    They don’t practice shooting from close retention positions,
    They don’t practice shooting in low/no light,
    They don’t practice using one hand,
    …I could probably go on some more, but you get the idea. Simply going to a range and doing static shooting is NOT enough to train you to successfully defend yourself with your pistol.

7. “I conceal my firearm so well, nobody knows I have one” - BUSTED!
    Nobody cares!! Besides, the goons nowadays ASSUME you have a firearm and plan their attack based on that assumption. So don’t conceal your firearm so well that you can’t get to it. That doesn’t mean you’re gonna broadcast it to the world - no - but keep it as accessible as you can with some level of concealment.

8. “When I’m driving late at night I take out my firearm from my waist and put it under my leg in case I need to get to it” - BUSTED!
    This one of the most dangerous practices ever! Many, many persons have shot themselves in their leg by accident. If you hit the femoral artery on the inside your thigh you’ll lose consciousness in 3 minutes and bleed out in 5 minutes.

If you get into a collision (or maybe even hit one of the monstrous potholes littering our roads), the firearm can fall to the floor. If your attacker uses their car to hit your - same thing.

Always keep your firearm accessible AND secure.

9. Closing one eye to aim - BUSTED!
    Closing one eye cuts your field of view by nearly 40%. In a fast moving, high pressure defensive situation, your need BOTH your eyes to cover the widest possible field of view. You need ALL your vision (direct and peripheral) to help you see what’s going on around you so that you can make the best decisions.

10. “All my shots are in a tight group” - BUSTED!
    Placing shots in a tight group takes a lot of time, concentration and skill - all of which are NOT available when you’re in a firefight. Placing a second shot right next to the first only opens the original wound channel by a marginal amount. What you need to be doing instead is making MANY wound channels. Ideally shots should be about 4-6inches apart.

rayzer007 likes this.
  2. amd65

amd65

"warheads"?....makes the whole thing questionable.

3. jp 19

jp 19

4. Redeemed

Redeemed

Warheads? Really?!!

eta I see someone already stated the same thing.

5. JAMROCK

JAMROCK Working Member

"Warheads"...sorry, got caught up in local lingo...carry on.

6. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

I used to love eating Warheads as a kid.

7. -JCN-

-JCN-

8. Bradley T

Bradley T

Uh,,,okay. Gonna shoot from at least six different positions this week, and four on the rifle range.

9. GWG19

GWG19

Warheads I gotta get some warheads and replace my bullets / projectiles.

war·head
    /ˈwôrˌhed/
    1. the explosive head of a missile, torpedo, or similar weapon.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  10. fredj338

fredj338

Well if you are looking at the attackers hands while trying to shoot, you will likely miss. So busted, front sight or at least the slide is req'd for good hits on a moving target beyond contact.
    Oh, and some people have to close their off eye, not me, but it doesnt make them less effective shooters. If your focus is on the front sight or at least the slide, you arent seeing anything in your perf during shooting anyway.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  11. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Who are you mad at Bro? I wont argue the semantics regarding nifty quips and mantra's. It just seems like someone hurt your feelings or something. Care to share?

Pitting one nifty saying against another is not "busting" anything.

Self defense, fighting and combat is not about mantra's and to be quite honest, all of those "saying" probably have a measure of truth and value depending on the context. If some particular phrase makes you feel good and makes you "think" a little,.. great. Its about all its intended to do. Debate over the merits of saying, old wives takes, mantra's, fighting songs or greek poetry is all a little silly in my book.

I do not believe that there is any such thing. Its just a saying Bro, probably intended to foster a certain mindset or (idea) and not a literal belief system or absolute proclamation.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    fredj338 likes this.
  12. sourdough44

sourdough44

‘Have a gun with you’ —- truth.

okiegtrider, ranger1968 and fredj338 like this.
  13. Paintshirtred

Paintshirtred

Even a broken watch is right twice a day.

14. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow

15. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Meh;

Train like you will fight, at least, as much as you can....

Train GOOD habits....

Train CONSISTENTLY.....

Pay attention to your surroundings....

Know that with very few exceptions, any sort of training paradigm, tactic, or method is merely A way, not THE way.....

16. fredj338

fredj338

100% Even the best plan will likely go to crap at first shot. Having the skill level & mindset to be flexible matters.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    ranger1968 likes this.
  17. gunowner1

gunowner1

Yeah! Lost me at "warhead" pretty tacticool term for a projectile....not!

18. peng

peng

Oh crap, now I'm gonna have to practice social distancing my shots because that is more effective.

The only thing I've ever seen that is truly busted is Kate Upton. Double tap.

19. Lot

Lot

It's like a post version of a youtube video. But that being said, it's good content to have a chat about. And I actually kind of like the slang of bullet = warhead; I might try to adopt it ironically and see if it catches on. I see it says OP is from Jamaica -
    https://atlantablackstar.com/2013/11/30/3300-warheads-missile-machinery-found-jamaican-port/

20. fredj338

fredj338