Temporary Glock Slide Painting

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Jorgsmash, May 12, 2017.

1. Jorgsmash

Jorgsmash

Hey all, first post here on Glock talk! I have a Glock 26 with a nickel boron coated slide. I am thinking about trying to do a kryptek Typhon camo pattern on the slide. However, I do not want it to be permanent as the nickel boron finish is pretty nice. I am going to tape off all the areas I don't want to get paint on and I am going to try and design a cool camo pattern using painter's tape on the slide. My question is: is there a spray paint that I can use where if I am unhappy with the results I can use a solvent such as paint thinner or something similar to remove the paint but not harm the nickel boron coating? I was considering using a Plasti Dip spray at first which still might be the best option. I am just looking for something temporary and if I like it it can stay for as long as it lasts until it wears. Thanks guys!

2. Bruce M

Bruce M

I am thinking the best answer would be from whoever actually put the nickel boron finish on it.

3. Jorgsmash

Jorgsmash

Thanks Bruce but I bought it used so no way for me to know that.

4. DrewBone

DrewBone

Jorgs, I would suggest that after you decide which coating to apply to your slide that you first apply it on the inside of the slide, on a clean oil free area. After it had dried properly I would then try some GOOF OFF GRAFFITI REMOVER spray to remove the paint. I've used this product successfully to remove enamel based paint from where a previous owner had applied white paint to highlight the factory lettering on the slide, along with the factory emblems on the plastic grips and the magazine bases of an FNH pistol that I'd purchased. After the paint was easily removed it turned out to have been a real diamond in the rough :D

The primary ingredient of this paint remover is acetone, which I don't believe will affect the nickel boron finish of your slide, but it's always wise to test such products first on an inconspicuous area before proceeding further, because if it was found to negatively affect the finish, you're much better off having such damage minimized as much as possible, in an area that won't normally be seen.
    [​IMG]

Jorgsmash likes this.
  5. Jorgsmash

Jorgsmash

Awesome so I have that great recommendation to remove the paint. I'm thinking that would work with just your average spray paint maybe

6. Mike-M

Mike-M

Be careful and cautious with camouflage! The web is rife with regret-filled reports...users who last saw underbrush hide and hold forever that lost favored firearm.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    125K9 and Jorgsmash like this.
  7. litepath

litepath

I'd call one of the many listed (google) Nickle Boron Coating companies out there and ask them about that. I've used Duracoat with great results (bear to remove) and krylon paint (easy to remove). I wouldn't again paint anything I didn't want to stay painted.

Jorgsmash likes this.
  8. PaLEOjd

PaLEOjd

No better way to destroy a perfectly good firearm than to take a can of spray paint to it.....Great idea!

9. Jorgsmash

Jorgsmash

Yeah because there aren't countless videos and forums of people doing it with great results. I suppose you think stippling and frame modifications ruin guns too.

10. vart

vart

I painted the frame of my M&P40C a desert tan that I never really was that happy with. Just the plastic frame and not the metal slide.

I field stripped it after 6 years of being painted and soaked it in brake fluid for a few hours. It removed the paint, mostly, but also discolored the metal slide release.

I just sold the pistol for around $100 less than what it was worth because it just didn't look right. I learned my lesson; no more paint on plastic...

Now on my metal ARs and shotgun... Rock on Garth...

Jorgsmash likes this.
  11. 125K9

125K9

My question to you sir is what are you hoping to accomplish by taking a can of spray paint to your pistol? Let's hope the pistol is just a range toy.

12. ShootingRooster

ShootingRooster These are Great Times for Gun Owners!

I've never been into any guns that are painted with camo or colors. I generally stick to black guns.

13. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

I bought a G-17 gen2 frame a while back to use with my Advantage Arms 22cal conversion Kit. I wanted a dedicated frame for the 22cal. I was also going to paint the frame OD Green with plastic paint, just because I wanted to.
    I never painted the frame, and it didn't work with the Kit.
    I used my gen3 G-17 frame and It worked fine. so I put my gen3 slide on the gen2 frame, and still have a dedicated 22cal.

14. Jorgsmash

Jorgsmash

Why would it matter if the exterior of a pistol slide was painted if it was more than just a "range toy"?

15. Handy

Handy

Why indeed?

You could always use acrylic model spray paint. That comes off with rubbing alcohol. Or just rubbing.

Jorgsmash likes this.
  16. Jorgsmash

Jorgsmash

So to update everyone that doesn't scoff at the idea of painting a gun - the plastidip did not work well. The stencil came out awesome for just an hour of work, but the plastidip dried so quick that the pattern peeled off with the stencil. I applied one coat then waited 5 minutes and then applied a second coat. I tried to peel it wet, because I knew if it dried it would all come off. If I had use some real spray paint (went to home Depot and there are about 50 different black rustoleum paints, no idea which one to use) it would have come out epic.
    https://ibb.co/goSqo5
    https://ibb.co/nicqo5
    https://ibb.co/n0NegQ
    https://ibb.co/kV5zgQ

17. 125K9

125K9

It shouldn't as long as the paint is kept on the outside. One other thread, several months ago, concerned a fellow that wanted to paint his firearm so he would "look cooler and more tactical" at his range. That was his reasoning, right or wrong. I was simply curious about yours.

18. Jorgsmash

Jorgsmash

19. Jorgsmash

Jorgsmash

Well of course I wanted it to look cooler and give it a customized look but more tactical, I don't know about that one. My stencil came out great but the choice of paint which was Plasti Dip did not work out well. Took about 5 minutes to peel all of it off and now everything is back to normal. I taped off the entire inside and the sights so that it wouldn't get any paint in there. In terms of most camo on a handgun I feel that it is more looks than actual function.

20. Jorgsmash

Jorgsmash

That seems to go directly against your previous comment though. Saying that it should only be painted if it was a range toy. Now you advocate it as long as the reasoning isn't just to look cooler and more Tactical?