Temporarily Disable the Graphics on GTalk Page While Using At Work

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Alphaman, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Alphaman

Alphaman Senior Member

Is there a way to temporarily get rid of the gun graphic on my screen while searching at work. There are times when I'd like to look up something but don't want to pull up the site for fear that some of my great co-worker buddies will become alarmed.

2. Steelviper

Steelviper

If you use Firefox there are several extensions that allow you to select images that you don't want to display.

3. Alphaman

Alphaman Senior Member

Excuse me for being ignorant but what is firefox?

4. Steelviper

Steelviper

It's a free web browser (like Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator, etc). You can download it here.

The difference between Firefox and most browsers is that is ships pretty light (minimal extra functionality). Then you can download and install only those extensions that make sense for you.

For example, I usually run Adblock (blocks advertisements), gMailNotifier(lets me know when I get new email at gmail.com), foxyTunes(controls winamp from the bottom of the browser), and some other extensions.

One example of an extension that might work for you would be ImageShowHide but there might be others. It might not be an option where you work, but I highly reccomend it if it is. Adblock alone is usually enough to sell most folks on Firefox.

5. Alphaman

Alphaman Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. I will look into Firefox.

6. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

you don't have to install seperate packages. you can just go to glocktalk.com, right click an image, and choose "block images from glocktalk.com" from the menu that pops up.

7. MoonMan

MoonMan CLM

I have Firefox.

The problem with blocking images from Glocktalk is that it blocks ALL images from Glocktalk, including the little icons that tell you if a thread has new postings.

8. Alphaman

Alphaman Senior Member

I tried this, however I do not get the option "block image from glocktalk.com." Anyone else get this option when right clicking on an image?

9. Steelviper

Steelviper

I do, but I have several extensions installed, so I'm not sure if that's a stock feature.

You can go to tools->options.

Click "web features". Next to "Load Images" click exceptions. Type www.glocktalk.com and click "block". That's the same thing that happens if you do the right-click anyway.