close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tell My Why G19?

Discussion in 'G1 Niners Club' started by mineralman55, Feb 9, 2010.

1. mineralman55

mineralman55

New here, but a long-time shooter (very long). I'm looking for a concealed carry weapon, and a friend in-the-know strongly suggested the G19. I'd been looking at sub-compacts (G26, G36, M&P9c) but the more we discussed it, the better the G19 sounded. I rented one at a local range and it shot well enough, but the grip is still a mite "thick" for me. I suppose I could get used to it (or have it reduced). One big thing is that I could get it compensated, which will help for competitons as well.

How do you all like your G19s for concealed carry, and what about the grip reductions?

2. TrooperBrian

TrooperBrian

The grip works just fine, and I have small hands. Definitely do not try to combine two things, you'll want it UNcompensated.

I would have gone with a 23, but went with a 19.

3. viniglock

viniglock

You cannot go wrong with the G19.
    But I am bias.:whistling:

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

My opinion,............

The G19 has the perfect ballance of capacity, firepower and concealability.
    I got my first in 1994, love the G19. Everyone needs at least one. :supergrin:

5. coal

coal

Agreed. Unless the G19 is too small for your hand, the G17 offers nothing needed for Range/Home/CCW. The G19 is the best all-around Glock IMO:
    G34 = Home/Range/Gamer
    G17 = Home/Range
    G19 = Home/Range/CCW
    G26 = CCW

And, IMO 9mm is the ideal all-around caliber: Citizen: Caliber Acedemic?.

Combine 9mm with the ideal-size Glock, and you get the G19. :thumbsup:

p.s. OP: pass on compensation in 9mm.

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Very well stated Coal,.....:supergrin:

7. mineralman55

mineralman55

Okay, so two of you have been unequivocal about getting a G19 without the compensator. Why? What's so negative about the compensator?

8. Marky Mark

Marky Mark Curmudgeon

Personally I don't see that it's necessary with low recoil of the 9mm. Some will argue that the flash and blast from the ports is distracting, other will argue that it's potentially dangerous. OTOH a certain foreign Secret Service-type protection agency who's known to be quite competent uses the 19c, so for their need's, we could assume the pros outweigh the cons.

9. DogRanger

DogRanger

The 19 is the right size and capacity for the job. I have 3, one with the grip reduction which the wife claimed.lol. Coals post hits the target(pun intended).

10. flieger67

flieger67

You should definitely shoot an uncompensated 19 if you can find one to rent or borrow. If you have a good grip on the pistol, I think that you'll find that the recoil is mild and easily handled. I'm a new shooter myself and the 19 was the first pistol that I fired and it wasn't a problem at all for me and I'm only 5'10" and 140 lbs.

On top of that, the 19 C is more expensive than the 19, assuming the same sights on each gun. I couldn't get a good feel for the price difference, but it looked like it could be $20-30, if not a little more. Perhaps someone else could give you a better line on the real price difference.

To me, I don't want the flash coming out of the slide and I would be concerned that the soot and residue coming out of the ports could start to darken the front sight. Let alone how much dirtier the gun would likely get.

Of course, you could always buy a non-compensated barrel at some point if the flash and smoke do bother you. Glocks are simple to swap barrels on.