Tell me your dreams.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glockster_221, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Glockster_221

Glockster_221

Hey guys. Allow me to get sentimental for a moment here.

Before I ask you for your hopes and dreams in life, let me tell you mine.

I come from a low-income immigrant family. I have virtually no family here (other than my sister and mother). It's been damn hard for us this last decade and couple years.

Anyhow, I am a student at UC Davis studying philosophy. That's right philosophy. No other field begins to touch philosophy when it comes to honing argumentation and critical thinking skills. Hell, the field of logic was borne out of philosophy, and without that field, nothing else would be intelligible. Philosophy, really, is the foundation for other fields to work (especially if you study really theoretical fields and have the need for clear concepts).

Anyhow, I plan on going to a good graduate school and becoming a professor of Philosophy at a great university, hopefully Ivy League one day. Specifically, I would like to study and teach the philosophy of science and epistemology (study of knowledge) and how they intertwine and what all that means for the modern science age we currently live in. I would also love to write for science journals and whatnot.

If that doesn't pan out, due to the ridiculously hyper-competitive market that philosophers must trek through, then I plan on a career in law enforcement. Keep in mind that I am going to give it my absolute all before I pursue anything else -- I don't like doing anything half ***.

In terms of law enforcement, I was thinking of applying to the following organizations in this order: FBI (either a field agent or a ballistician), state police, local police and work my way to SWAT or GANG unit (in Los Angeles).

I also plan to start a family some day as I think I would be an outstanding father and husband. I am great with kids and have a huge heart.

I also plan to buy a house and dedicate one room strictly to guns. :supergrin:

I'm done.

Please comment and also tell me about your dreams and aspirations. Remember, we can never aim too high.

2. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Physics.

If you really want to hone, well everything...Physics. Everything else is something less. At the end of the "rabbit hole" of Physics, you find a Philosophy that no Philosopher can even begin to understand.

....and only a Philosopher would think they birthed Logic. The Scientist knows better. The battle fields of the world are littered with the deaths of those driven by Philosophy who met the Military Engineer.

3. Smashy

Smashy

4. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

There's a Mexican midget, NYC Drew and a chicken, oh wrong dream thread never mind:whistling:

5. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

Make enough to pay the bills and have some spending money left over, keep my wife happy, and retire with a retirement that we can actually live off of. I still sometimes kick myself for getting out of the military- I'm 30 now, and I would have only had 9 more years before I could have retired.

6. Glockster_221

Glockster_221

Before ANY over-glorified science, there was philosophy. Ever wonder why the sub-fields of philosophy are often called "Philosophy of X" where x is now a scientific field? For example, the field of physics used to be called "The Philosophy of the Natural World" before better instruments could be developed for more definitive study. Every science in the history of human affairs has come from the field of philosophy. Bar none.

The main players in the field of Logic have been primarily PHILOSOPHERS and mathematicians. In fact, most contemporary scientists really aren't great thinkers at all. All they do is glorified investigation. Don't get me wrong, I value and greatly respect scientists and all they thing they do, but without philosophy to clarify concepts and lay the seeds of critical thinking for future minds to mull over, science would be worthless, even none-existent.

Ever notice how the great thinkers in history have also been so unorthodox in their education and thinking, such as Einstein? This is because a great scientist is at least a good philosopher. Don't forget that it was Einstein who specified what exactly it is for two events to occur simultaneously, a philosophical act.

Actually, I was torn between studying philosophy, engineering, and even physics at one point, and I would've done a double major in philosophy and physics (as it is not uncommon for philosophy students to do), but the gaps in my mathematical knowledge proved to much for me.

7. Glockster_221

Glockster_221

Thanks for sharing guys. Keep it coming. :)

8. lee2

lee2

did you ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?
    :cool:

9. Glockster_221

Glockster_221

LOL! That thread was what inspired me to start this one. I had gone into that one thinking his use of the word "dreams" had the meaning that it does in this thread.

:p

10. Smashy

Smashy

All right! Hawking vs. Plato. This should be good...:popcorn:

11. Rabbi

I am not going to get into a wizzing contest with you over this. You have convinced yourself that Philosophy is the genesis and pinnacle of human intellectual endeavor.

...Which is exactly what I would expect from a Philosopher. You have been sold a bill of goods that Academics like to sell, which is what you want to be.

Of course, the two great ironies are....

....You have not even made it yet.

....and math was too hard for you.

Maybe you should do something before you tell the rest of the world the greatness of what you are doing.

12. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

My dream is to never be dependent upon the government for a salary or a charity. There's really no difference.

13. raven11

raven11

funny , a couple of my college friends swiched their majors to philosophy this semester

must be a sales pitch going on i wasn't invited to attend

14. bchandler

bchandler

Philosophy is kind of like cooking or playing an instrument. It is fun to study, but I would not want to make a career of it. A practicing scientist can be a philosopher in his free time, but a philosopher cannot be a practicing scientist in his free time (at least not in the modern world). Also, I agree that one cannot reach a true philosophy without understanding how the universe works (the realm of physicists, chemists, biologists, and other scientists), or at least studying the many books created by physicists for the masses. Without that knowledge, your view of how things work is incomplete. Many great philosophers were scientists of their day as well.

15. Glockster_221

Glockster_221

Yet you continue to argue your case. On top of this, you insult my intelligence later in your reply.

You keep saying that the things that I say are something you expect from a philosopher. Please, tell me exactly the extent of experience with philosophers. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

How is the fact that I have not yet (possible might never) made it bear at all on what I am saying about philosophy? My occupational status has absolutely no bearing on the facts of the history of philosophy. What you said is completely irrelevant.

Math was not simply "too hard for me." I was actual one of the better students in mathematics in high school. I would often tutor the kids in my class during class time. Now I don't mean to toot my own horn, but math was not a difficult subject for me in high school. Unfortunately, this all changed when I came to college. I had not taken over a year of mathematics and had forgotten what proved to be too much previous knowledge. Knowledge retention is something that the modern school system is abysmal at teaching and advocating. I realized my limits and accepted them, and moved on.

Your ad hominem attacks do not faze me in the least bit, Mr. Rabbi.

16. Glockster_221

Glockster_221

I am very much in agreement with you, sir.

17. lee2

lee2

how can you see into my eyes like open doors
    leading you down into my core
    where I’ve become so numb without a soul my spirit sleeping somewhere cold
    until you find it there and lead it back home

(Wake me up)
    Wake me up inside
    (I can’t wake up)
    Wake me up inside
    (Save me)
    call my name and save me from the dark
    (Wake me up)
    bid my blood to run
    (I can’t wake up)
    before I come undone
    (Save me)
    save me from the nothing I’ve become

18. JMS

JMS 02

Please don't get into an argument with Rabbi, he never quits and thinks he knows it all :upeyes:

On the other hand psychology, more than philosophy might help in the law enforcement field. Talking a hostage situation down by discussing Sartre isn't very common, unless you're trying to bore them to death.

The ability to orate doesn't open up many doors in the 'real world', outside of the halls of 'higher' education.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  19. silentpoet

silentpoet

My goal/dream is to make a living writing.

20. Rabbi

You have it all figured out, when you actually do something, let us know how that works out.

Right now you are like a virgin who is telling everyone the best way to satisfy a woman.

Thats not an attack, that is some stone cold philosophy.