close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tell me your Catfish bait

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by crater, May 3, 2006.

1. crater

crater NRA Member

O.K. I know catfish fishing is not the most exciting, but due to my health problems, I can only go fishing to spots where I can pretty much drive up to, which seems to be mostly pay lakes (yeah, that sucks). Anyway it appears that most of these lakes stock mostly catfish and I was curious as to what baits you guy's that do go after catfish, find the most effective.

On a side note, I remember many, many years ago I was fishing at a lake and Dave Parker, an old Cincinnati Reds player, was there and he was using hamburger that had turned green, he had let it out in the sun for so many days, but boy was he bringing them in.

So let's hear yours, and thanks in advance

2. lcarreau

lcarreau Reload Artist

A lot of folks around here use the stink bait at walmart. My brother tells me he has had good results, putting chicken livers in a paint can and leaving that out in the sun for a day or so. It seems like the nastier something smells, the better they like it.

-Lonnie

3. d0truji

d0truji

4. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

chunks of cheese, hot dogs, ivory soap worms have all caught them.

If using chicken livers letting them dry in the sun may improve their appeal. It will make them tougher so the pieces stay on the hook better.

Rig your line so the bait is 8 to 10 inches off the bottom.

5. A_Swede_17_1911

A_Swede_17_1911

I used to like cut bait, such as small perch, or shad, or even shiners that ive cut to size for the hooks I use. I like to use circle hooks, because I hate digging for a hook, on a fish when fishing bait since I release most my fish. My favorite set up has been a Berkley Reflex spining rod, Medium action, with a weight rating of 1/2-2 oz combined with a Quantum Blue Runner 50 reel, spooled with 201b Berkely Iron Silk. My other favorite set up is a Ugly Stick Catfish Rod with a 6500 abu garcia reel, a medium heavy rod, with 30lb braid like power pro.

Also if you want to chuck big baits a long ways, look in to some surf rods too.

Sorry you were talking about bait. I like the cut bait, like I said, also a big GOB of night crawlers, or a huge gob or red worms, on a 4/0 or so hook as also worked good for me. I have used some dip baits out ther with a catfish worm, and have caught mostly smaller fish. I like the cut bait for larger fish. Also shrimp makes a good bait as well. Almost forgot about that, just get some frozen at a grocery store, or bait shop, thaw and peel it works great.

6. E36

E36

cut up hotdogs

7. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Chicken Livers, Blue Nose Worms, Night Crawlers.

8. vaglockowner

vaglockowner

I like all the above mentioned baits. If you can find clam snouts(I believe that is the part that is discarded when clams are cleaned). near you, those work pretty well too.

9. wishywashy

wishywashy MOLON LABE

I use small blue gill, cut the head off, slit the belly long ways and hook it through the tail.

10. bassman-dan

bassman-dan NRA Lifer

Deer liver works for me- stays on the hook better than beef liver.

11. daveycrockett

daveycrockett

Fish gizzards, and night crawlers!

12. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

What KIND of catfish?

A Channel cat will hit crappie jigs, bass plugs, or pretty much any live bait.

A Flathead or Blue prefers live bait at night; 50# test braided line, a carp in the 2 to 5 pound range on a huge hook and anchored with a pound of lead in the shallows near a deeper hole...mmmmm! Good juju.

I am guessing that you will do mostly stillfishing, and I can help there too.

A good blood bait recipe should have equal parts flour and corn meal in it. About a teaspoon of salt per pound of dry ingrediants seems about right.

You use a bit of blood to get this into a dough that's sticky enough that it'll form into balls. Put some in the fridge for safekeeping but let the portion to be taken out that day to have 'seasoned' itself for at least twelve hours in a hot garage or something.

Use the smallest treble hook for this you feel is appropriate for the fish being pursued. A few coils of fine wire, around the center axis, will help keep the dough on the hook. Oh, and if you disturb the bait, the line must be retrieved and another doughball applied since the hook is now probably bare.

Crumbly When Wet. And it also emits a large cloud of 'chum' while submerged--a scent trail that can travel a long ways under ideal conditions. This can and often does attract feeding fish from a great distance.

For carp, the same basic recipe is used only water is substituted for the blood and either Molasses or Sorghum is added to sweeten the mix. Do not use chlorinated water if you can help it--it's best to use the water from the pond or stream where you will fish, though City Water Dough will usually work in a pinch.

Add the water to the dry ingredients slowly, and stir thoroughly to prevent oversaturating. It is very hard to remove some water if you get carried away at this stage.

And another thing: you can toss a few small bits of the stuff into the general area of your hook for more chumming and even better results. This is what all that dried-up dough you'll find on the sides of your bait can is good for!

Besides these baits, I have had good luck with live minnows on a bobber for channel cats, at least in lakes.

Good Luck!

13. hi speed

hi speed 10MMGLOCKROCKER

Doc's stink bait and small marshmellows! This combo works everywhere I've tried it and catches the big ones too.