Tell me why I am wrong

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by dbuck47, Jul 11, 2019.

1. dbuck47

dbuck47

To me the G45 is backwards-short slide and long grip. What is the allure of this pistol, especially to those of you who have it?

This is not a knock, lol. I am considering my next acquisition and G45 is actually under consideration. I am a late adopter to polymer striker fired pistols, even though I fired and liked a Gen1 G17. Took me another 30 years to actually own one, a Gen4. Now I am looking for a spare/backup. Considering G19, G17, and G45.

What say ye?

I might add, I am also considering something in the Sig P320 series, but likely will put that after this purchase because as to be expected, I am accumulating G17 mags and sort of leaning to this purchase having compatibility, but could be persuaded otherwise I expect.

treg likes this.
  2. tcphoto

tcphoto

To me, the G45 was a possibility because I like a full size grip and the G19 slide is manageable to carry, my brother carries a Gen4 19 and swears by it. I do not feel the need to carry so I bought a Beretta APX Centurion for home defense and then added a Gen5 17 recently. I'd probably lean toward a G19 if you already own a G17.

dbuck47 likes this.

3. -JCN-

-JCN-

Depends on the size of your hands and how you carry the gun.

I have a G34 that I would never carry... because I carry AIWB and that would poke me in the junk. Plus for self-defense I'm not banking on needing the extra slide length or velocity.

I have a G19x that I love the balance of. It's still a viable AIWB gun for me because of the slide length and clears holster faster than a longer gun.

I shoot the 19x better than a 19 because of the full grip and more leverage to reduce muzzle rise. YMMV.

4. Gfive45

Gfive45

+1
    20190617_122615_HDR-1.jpg

-JCN-, AdamRodgers and dbuck47 like this.
  5. Mike-M

Mike-M

The G45 and G19X are both a full massive earth-shaking 0.5 inches shorter than a G17 but otherwise identical in size and weight, so it just has to be much more concealable. And the fact that it won't accept 15-round G19 magazines eliminates the owner's confusion from having any option of using that shorter magazine. It's always good when choices are eliminated. :)

Or it could be mass hysteria akin to the popularity of 9x19mm...people buying something just because of gun-press, internet, and Glock Company hype.

It looks like New Coke to me. Are there really ANY clothes on this emperor? (Pardon the mixed metaphors.)

6. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

"The G45 and G19X are both a full massive earth-shaking 0.5 inches shorter than a G17 but otherwise identical in size and weight....."

It's only a half inch difference and therefore it has little effect on "Sight Radius" or velocity but it makes a great deal of difference in the way the gun feels and balances in your hands.

When the G17 first came out I absolutely hated the Coyote Turd Yellow color but then I got to shoot one and I absolutely loved the way it felt in my hands.

The first Glock I ever shot was a G17 and I didn't like it. then years later I got to handle a G19 and went out and bought one a couple of days later.

And while I would prefer a G19 to a G17, with the Gen 5's I really like the elimination of the finger grooves but I really hate the half-moon cut-out on the G19 so I would prefer either a Gen 5 G19 MOS or a G45 even though I don't really care for front slide serrations either.

I also wish that Glock would make the G45 in 40 caliber and 357 Sig.

7. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers \m/ SLAYER!!!! \m/

See if you can barrow a friends G45 or 19X and shoot it beside a G19, or maybe rent one???

I never made fun of a person's pistol that was showing or talking about it hear, that is just rude and TOOLISH, (think a made a new word :confused:) but at first I gave the 19X absolute HELL on the short slide, long grip amongst my friends..........

.............till I shot one, and then I did a 180 and now I have a 19X and enjoy it just as much or more than my other Glocks. Saying that I will never get rid of my other Glocks. I do intend to get a matching 19X or a G45 so I will have two of the same stile / type pistols.

It is a dang good shooting well balanced pistol, plus I have long orangutan finger's and the full size grip is just a big plus for me.

-JCN- and dbuck47 like this.
  8. glockenturm

glockenturm

The 19 length slide is the longest barrel I can carry and SIT with at a comfortable angle. Never have seen a video on concealed carry where the guy is sitting, especially these high speed operators with their comped 17s with light and optic and spare mag in appendix carry..
    The 21 I've carried in a pancake holster but the angle is uncomfortable.
    The grip length doesn't phase me.
    I carry a 19.4 with RMR and X-GRIP.

jr24, -JCN-, B C and 1 other person like this.
  9. phonejack

phonejack

The second most popular 1911 is the Commander. The 19X and the 45 is the same concept with the Glock platform.

10. Dave514

Dave514

The grip is harder to conceal than the slide so I find it backwards as well for CCW. But it wasn't designed for CCW. People like them and I'm glad they have options. I just stick with the 19/23 size because it has less printing with the grip and the barrel/sight radius that works for me.

treg, jsirles, G19 fan and 1 other person like this.
  11. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Seems like you have more choices.. thats good. I read people that think that they shoot a g 26 better than a 19 or 17... seems crazy to me. I like glocks that can share standard g17 or g22 or g31 mags... dont really see awesome reasons when glock has so many easy to carry double stack pistols.

I bought a g36 when they first came out.. good round, not huge capacity... the vast number of folks on this board said that 6 plus 1 is just foolish and an insane low capacity to ever carry.. now those same people carry g42 and g43 pistols that are the best carry guns ever made.

VIS07, pjanthony and dbuck47 like this.
  12. glock-fan

glock-fan

I’m with the OP it just looks weird/backwards. I guess it works for those who need the extra grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willard, jsirles and dbuck47 like this.
  13. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I dont think your wrong.. each person has a different set of hands and different skills..
    I like guns i can get three fingers on... never liked the 26 27 32 sized glocks. Some people shoot them well.
    I like both 4.25 and 5 inch barrel 1911's . Commander size is awesome.. officer size is not my choice..

People that like revolvers , or sigs , or hk. , or glock 19 are not wrong.. they are just different. People that like highpoint... they are just wrong.

14. DevinBreeding

DevinBreeding

15. DevinBreeding

DevinBreeding

Silly but I think Glocks front serrations are ugly. This coming from someone who really enjoys the look of a Glock generally. I also don’t find utility in their existence. Honestly I’ll probably never buy a glock with ambi controls either.

dbuck47 likes this.
  16. IAhunter

IAhunter

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    Shoot one, and you'll understand. If you buy one, buy the G19X, because front slide serrations are ugly and coyote tan is drop-dead-sexy.
    I'm here all week.:dancingbanana:

glocker1, dbuck47 and littletank like this.
  17. cciman

cciman

Preferences, flavors, variety---> make the coins roll into the till, and keep fickle users from wandering off.

dbuck47 likes this.
  18. littletank

littletank

I agree the 19X shot so well I didn't mind and actually looked for 2nd one... Should be picking up my 45MOS this weekend..

The 19X shoots almost as good as the Gen4 19C and 17C..

19. Bradley T

Bradley T

Heck, I've been pretty thoroughly G19X-ed. Nowadays I grab a 17 or 22 and wonder why it has such a freakishly long barrel/slide.

glocker1, dbuck47 and -JCN- like this.
  20. myglockisa23

myglockisa23

Try it.... I promise you will like it.....

IMG_1717.JPG