Tell Me About Using Corrosive Ammo.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Restless28, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28

I am on the fence about buying bulk AK74 ammo. It's cheap, but its corrosive. I'll be using it in Arsenal AK74s with chrome lined barrels.

Tell me how you clean and care for your gun if you use corrosive ammo. :wavey:

2. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

Clean your rifle as you normally would shooting any other ammo.

No need to do any "special cleaning/seance/religious ceremony" procedure.

:cool:

3. Restless28

Restless28

How do you open these spam cans? I only want 1 order, but everywhere states that you have to buy 2 to get an opener.

4. Glockdude1

5. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Bench grinder, dremel tool works fine. I use the can opener myself

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  6. Restless28

Restless28

7. Glockdude1

Your welcome.

That will be $19.95 for the link.......... :tongueout:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  8. Decguns

Decguns

When firing corrosive through an AK, be sure to clean out the gas tube and gas block. Hot water works best. Depending on heat & humidity in your area, you could have rust forming in there within days. Also remove your muzzle brake and clean the threads on the barrel and in the brake. That's a spot that's often neglected. The rest of the gun you can clean with Hoppe's #9. I'm old school and run hot water through the entire bore and over the parts just to be sure all the corrosive salts are gone.

9. Decguns

Decguns

You can open a spam can in about 30 seconds with a pair of tin snips or shears. Not as much fun as busting your knuckles for 15 minutes with the spam can opener, though.

10. Restless28

Restless28

Any more tips on cleaning? I want simple. That's what I like about AKs.

11. 427

+1

The only thing I can add is to clean ASAP. If you live in a moist/humid area, it's not a good idea to wait around.

12. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

A spray of water or windex while at the range will help a bit. Just spray it on a patch and rub down the bore and the bolt with it, and then the gas tube and piston. This is best done while the parts are still a bit warm, the carbon tends to set after a while. Then just clean normally, I usually use a water based solvent to do it.

13. Berto

Berto woo woo

Rinse with hot soap and water, keep the muzzle pointed East at all times and say four
    (4) Hail Mary's.

14. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I use corrosive ammo for several of my C&R guns and AKs. No issues. Just clean when you return from the range. Like others say, clean the gas tube, etc.

15. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E

Hoppes 9 also ballistol is a good choice. Just clean it after your shooting session. Remember this used to be the norm and the old war horses still shoot out there today .. Just take care of'm. Some folks have a religion about keeping corrosion down , windex ammonia, water… all personal choice just clean it at the end of the day and you will be fine for the next hundred years of shooting corrosive primed cartridges.

16. Restless28

Restless28

Good to know, guys! My goal is to buy a spam can of 5.45 each month.

17. copo9560

copo9560

We swab the barrel and gas tube with ammonia soaked patches first, let it sit for a while, couple dry patches and then go to Hoppes #9. Ammonia is a lot cheaper than Hoppes and does a good job of getting salts out. This stuff is typically very dirty and getting the bore clean takes some time.

Downside to some of the bulk ammo we have purchased - not very accurate and smells pretty bad if you shoot at a range in booth. That being said, the grin factor is high as cost is pretty low and you don't worry about finding all your cases to reload.

18. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

Just run some hot water through the barrel and then clean as you normally would. Just be sure to remove the gas tube and give it a good scrubbing, along with the gas block. And no need for ammonia...in fact I've seen ammonia cause hard chrome to "frost". Also, with a chrome lined bore, a nylon bore brush is all you need.

19. never enough

never enough

Ran 500 rds of corrosive through my sgl-31 tuesday and here's what I did.
    Upon taking gun apart I soaked every part in Slip 2000 carbon remover and let it sit for 10 mins. Next rinsed entire gun in hot water,air dried w/air compressor then re oiled everything.
    No rust anywhere on gun

20. Averageman

Averageman

One of the cheapest and most effective ways to clean any weapon is to start with very, very hot water.
    It works so good that if you go to the National Training Center you will see a M2 cleaner that looks like a dishwasher on steroids. Once they cool off (I think the get up to 200 degrees) they have all the oil and residue removed. The only thing you cant put in is the backplate and that gives you something to clean while you wait for the rest of the gun.
    With my AK's I field strip them and clean them in the kitchen sink and it works just fine. A very light coat of oil to prevent rust is needed afterwards.