close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tell me about the south, I'm moving

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by trashcat, Mar 14, 2013.

1. trashcat

trashcat

Update: I'm officially escaping CA and moving to a new job in Atlanta I turned in my official notice at my current job today. Thanks for all the info in this thread.

I was born and raised in the red parts of CA, Redding and surrounding area, however since college I've lived on the coast where it's so blue it's ultraviolet. My girlfriend is finally finishing her last class for her degree this semester after a several year break and we've decided to flee CA this summer. Two years ago we took two weeks and drove a big loop around some southern states (TN,GA,SC,NC,VA,KY) to get an idea of where we would plan on emigrating. Of the limited places we were able to visit my favorite city was Chattanooga TN and hers was Asheville NC.
    What can you tell me about these two places and also recommend some other locations that we should consider. My requirements for a new home are:
    1. Solidly conservative, I don't want to move to a state that I have to worry about turning blue.
    2. Shall issue and minimal if any gun laws
    3. Right to work (the union currently steals my "fair share" every month)
    4. Affordable property (I'd like to buy a few acres and build a house)
    5. Low tax burden

We'd prefer not to move to a large city but we'll go where the jobs are. We're both in our early 30s, I'm a linux systems administrator and my girlfriend is finishing her degree in communications. I appreciate any information you can give me.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Out of the places you mentioned I would say TN.

3. RedTop

RedTop

There are a lot of liberals in Ashville.

4. moonwilson

moonwilson

Chattanooga is very nice, between the two cities you mentioned, I'd pick that one. Asheville is very liberal. North Carolina will go blue way before Tennessee will.

If you end up in a city, you could do much, much worse than Atlanta. We moved here 7 years ago and never want to leave.

5. JBnTX

JBnTX 2 Timothy 2:15

Have you seen the movie Deliverance?

6. moonwilson

moonwilson

Good movie. Does not provide an accurate representation of the South.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  7. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

1) Slow down. Southern people tend to drive anyone from outside the area nuts with the pace.

2) Have you checked out Northern Alabama? $10 carry permit, cannot carry in fed places and during political rallies. TN and NC both have some interesting restrictions on theirs, of the two, TN is the least restrictive.

Knoxville, TN more or less splits the difference between Chat-nooga and Ashville.

Learn to like college football.

8. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Have you seen "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"?

9. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

Come to Florida. We need voters like you.

As long as you're good with cold, TN sounds like the place. I have visited and my best friend just moved back to FL from there. He loved it. Hated having to come back.

10. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Florida meets all of your criteria. Stay near the coast and away from the Southeastern seaboard for best results. World famous spearfishing/fishing. Long growing seasons. People...eh...okay, in many places the people could be better. But thats not because of Floridians - thats because of ******* transplants.

11. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag

I think any would be fine, except maybe for VA, that's getting too close to the NE and DC for my liking.

"Gun culture" is pretty strong in all the states, except for big Lib cities, and probably won't be changing anytime soon. Hell, look at NY, that place is a D wasteland and folks are still getting carry permits and stuff despite the rest of the insanity taking place. There's little chance any of the South will look even close to that anytime soon.

All you can really do at the end of the day is find a place that closest meets your needs (work, educational and social) and work hard to keep the people interested in your freedom in office.

Oh yeah, hope you like humidity.

12. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

That would be HEAT + high humidity.

Think 98 degrees plus 90% humidity.
    Ever drive down the road with your car AC blowing thick plumes of fog from the vents?

I would advise anyone considering a move to any location in the southeast to visit in mid August before making any plans.

13. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag

Yeah, the summers are brutal. It's the only thing I really dislike about the South, but if it keeps the CA/NE libtards out...hell, make it hotter.

14. SCGlock26

SCGlock26

Ashville NC is a liberal enclave made up of Snow Birds who moved to FL and left there because it was too hot.

15. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Fog? Sounds like you need your A/C serviced. A properly working A/C system dries the air before it spits it out at you. I've never had this happen to me in a car with a properly working A/C system, and I live in the swamp.

16. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

I've experienced it in various vehicles.

How does an AC system remove humidity from the air?
    Simply by chilling it, causing the moisture to condense and fall out of the air. In a car system it falls into the evaporator catchpan and drips out through a drain to the road.

If there is enough humidity it can overwhelm any car AC unit so that some finds it's way into the interior.

17. trashcat

trashcat

Thanks for the replys so for. Yes I've seen deliverance, good movie looked like a beautiful area. I would be a little worried about NC turning blue and Asheville is a liberal college town. However three breweries are building new facilities in the surrounding area, Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, and OsKar Blues my girlfriend would love to get a job with any of them currently she is doing some work with beer/writing and marketing.
    AL is certainly on our list even though we didn't get to drive through it. We also liked Knoxville TN though it is a bit large. We liked GA and and Atlanta has job opportunities but I'd like to live at least an hour away from a city that size, however I'd rather live in Atlanta than stay in CA more than 6 months. It was early september when we took our trip so I got a taste of the heat and humidity which was fine except the coast of GA and SC, so FL is probably not going to be a strong candidate.

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That describes most of the south. Kentucky has less gun laws than any other, but higher taxes than Florida or Texas or some others. Georgia has Atlanta, which does cause some worry about turning blue and is generally bad news - the Chicago of the south. Florida, likewise, has a big liberal population. I'd lean most toward Kentucky, Tennessee or Texas. Next 2 choices after those would be North Carolina and Florida, but knowing I'd have to put up with plenty of left wingers and relocated yankees. The bottom of the list would be South Carolina, ranking just below Alabama and Mississippi.

19. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I'll second that - they can set the whole place on fire if it will keep out the yankees, west coasters and people from wherever Atlas lives.

20. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'd say North Carolina and stick close to the right coast.

Excellent scuba diving.