Tell me about the P32

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by HollowPoint .45, Mar 27, 2010.

1. HollowPoint .45

HollowPoint .45 NRA Member

I'm a general contractor by trade and that in its self dosen't condone well to concealed carry. I'm in alot of hot and dirty places, constantly bent over, sitting in the floor, and reaching above my head. I've come to believe that it is a CCWs worst nightmare. I've also come to the conclusion that a pocket pistol is the only way that I'm going to be able to carry daily. Currently I've been locking my pistol in the truck during the work day, but thats not ideal by far.

I know by definition that a pocket pistol/mouse gun or what ever that you want to call them is a poor excuse for a weapon when compaired to a modern service pistol. But such is life and it still stands true that a .32 or .380 in my pocket would beat the hell out of my .40 in the truck.

.380 ammo is pretty much non existant in my area, but Wal-Mart usually keeps a few boxes of .32 and one of the local gunshops always has .32. For this issue alone I'm heavily leaning towards the .32 over the .380.

This gun is going to get rode hard and put up wet. Its going to get sweated on daily, its going to get beat and banged as I crawl around on the job and carry things braced against my leg. Its going to get a sawdust bath because you just cant run a saw or sander of anykind without getting some dust in your pockets. In short its going to be used and abused and it still has to go bang.

I've heard alot of horror stories about the Kel-Tec products in general but most seem to stem around the P3AT. And from what I have been reading it seems that the P32 is realitively problem free? I've also heard alot of people say that Kel-Tec has finally got all the bugs worked out and are atlast producing a quality handgun. I'd like comments on this as well.

I'm looking into a hard chromed P32 and any input would be appreciated.

2. Caver 60

Caver 60

Only fired a P32 on one occasion in my life when a friend let me try his. You might want to go over to the Kel Tec forum or the Kel Tec owners group and look around. Look at the "stickies" on the Kel Tec forum.

ETA I don't know if they still have this problem, but years go I read about a P32 problem with 'rimlock' when shooting HP ammo. The condition would lock up the pistol and take time to clear it. There were several 'fixes' on some of the Kel Tec sites. Don't know if Kel Tec has corrected the problem. The P3AT never suffered from that particular problem.

I have two P3AT's. A first gen and a second gen. Both black. I suspect most of the horror stories center around the first gen. Mine was typical with lots of major problems before I finally got it running right. Fortunately I like to tinker with guns and since I got it fixed it's been 100% for about 3000 rounds.

My second generation had one very minor problem during the first few rounds. A sharp or rough edge on the bottom edge of the extractor caused it to hang a round about half way into the chamber. Once I fixed that, it's been 100% for about a thousand rounds. I have several friends that have a second generation who have not had any problems out of theirs.

I don't work in as sever a condition as you describe, but I run a cattle farm and am in a lot of dust, hay, and general unclean conditions at times. I get pockets full of hay seeds, dirt, and crud all the time. I use a can of compressed air to blow the pistol out every now and then and lube it with Lucas gun oil, and the internal high friction points get some chassis grease occasionally. It has never failed to go bang when I pull it out of my pocket to shoot at varmints or target shoot.

My biggest concern would be your heavy lifting. I do some heavy lifting at times and have never had a problem. But if I know I'm going to be doing a lot of heavy lifting, I have the luxury of slipping it out of my pocket and stashing it on the tractor or someplace until the jobs done. Same if I know that I'm going to be sweating excessively for long periods. But that's going to be a problem with any pistol.

I'd strongly recommend a good pocket holster. I use the Nemesis. Some people complain it sticks to the pistol when you draw, but I've not had a problem with that. I sort of learned to 'flick' it off with my middle finger as I draw. Also keeping it oiled helps keep it from sticking.

As long as I keep it oiled occasionally, I've not had a problem with rust, but I've read of some people who claim it does rust. I clean and oil it about once a month in winter, more frequently in summertime, especially when sweating heavy or I get caught out in a rain.

Even on the farm I generally carry either a Kahr, or a Taurus, or a P11 as a primary and the P3AT as a backup. Around the farm I use a shoulder holster and open carry the primary. When I go to town the primary goes concealed in one manner or another. But the P3AT is always in the right front pocket, no matter what.

As for 380 ammo, it seems to be occasionally becoming available again at WM. And my local dealer seems to frequently have a small supply (admittedly at higher prices) but it can be obtained if you search, at least in my area. Fortunately I laid in a good supply before the big O got elected. But I still buy some replacement ammo when I find it, and I'm finding it more frequently now.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010

3. Averon

Averon

I own a Kel-Tec P32, It's my only gun that has fired every time I've pulled the trigger. Although I admit, I've only put a few boxes of ammo through it.

4. napp32

napp32

Not sure what price range you are considering; but you might want to check out the Seecamp LWS 32. It is considered by many to be king of the mouse guns. It will be more difficult to find one than finding a Keltec. A used Seecamp will show up from time to time on places like Gun Broker. They hardly depreciate at all, so you can expect to pay $400-500 for a used one.

I carry one as a BUG...had it for 13 years and it has never had a failure when firing it at the range. It is small enough to easily hide in a camera case on your belt. That might offer more protection for the gun when on the job without drawing undue attention.

[​IMG]

5. mrbray101

mrbray101

I work as a landscape contractor so I have similar conditions as in bending over, getting dirty, meeting with clients, etc... I've tried the carrying glocks, j frames, small 1911's and ultimately settled on a P-32. I have put around 200 rounds through it and its been perfect. Not the greatest self defense caliber but at least I can conceal it easily and comfortably. I just carry it in a Size 1 Uncle Mikes pocket holster.

I have the hard chrome which I would recommend. I have been carrying it for about 2 years straight and do minimal maintenance to it and it and I've got no rust and hardly any wear.

6. Davidkxx

Davidkxx Armed Response

7. tshadow6

tshadow6

I pocket carried a P32 for several years in a High Noon pocket holster. I also kept a spare magazine in my left hand pocket. The P32 I had was first generation, so after about 50 rounds, it was time to clean it. It also performed better with premium ammo. The best load I found for mine was Winchester Silvertip hollowpoints. They fed and fired every time. I regret trading mine. I would like to get another one.

8. Caver 60

Caver 60

9. rhino673

rhino673

I have a P32 and keep it stoked with winchestert silver tips. Never had a problem with it. It's my carry gun when I can't carry the mdl 23

10. garebel

garebel

I've never had a single problem with my keltec p32. The slide has a good bit of holster wear because I carry it all the time.

I keep a Speer Gold Dot in the chamber, and another as the top round in the magazine. The rest of the rounds in the mag are fmj.

I love mine....a hard chrome would be even nicer IMO.
    Be careful though, it is easy to forget the thing is in your pocket...it is that light.

11. HollowPoint .45

HollowPoint .45 NRA Member

Well the reports are sounding better than what I expected. Keep them coming guys, I just might pick one up.

12. charliex

charliex

You are giving up a lot in the name of size and weight. It's frankly nasty to shoot. I do shoot it but not because I really want to. The sights on the newer ones are better than before but still not that great, but it's not like you'll be hitting tight groups at 30 feet either.

13. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

I think I would look at the .380s before the .32s.....numerous ones on the market...go to a big gun shop and feel them all. Remember these are close range handguns so don't think beyond 20 feet.

14. Caver 60

Caver 60

Hollowpoint 45, I would also advocate the 380, despite the difficulty finding ammo right now. Some people say the 32 is just as good with the right HP ammo, but I find that difficult to accept. For me even the 380 is definitely on the light side for a carry caliber.

As for recoil, your screen name implies you are familiar with 45 caliber handguns and you mention the 40 in your truck, so you are used to at least some recoil. I don't think you'll find the recoil of either the P3AT or the P32 excessive. My only complaint is the trigger guard needs to be opened up a little so it doesn't hit your trigger finger as much. But for a few magazines of shooting, you won't notice it. An afternoon of shooting 100 rounds or more and you might notice it somewhat.

The size of your hands might also affect how well the Kel Tec's would feel to you. My hands are relatively small for a mans hand, so I can get a good thumb and two finger grip and tuck my pinkie tight under the mag floorplate, without a magazine extension.

As for the miniscule sight on the Kel Tec's, I wouldn't worry about it. I do a lot of point shooting at anything closer than 5 yards or so and the P3AT point shoots great for me. A few months ago I rolled three armadillos outside at night shooting rapid fire, point shooting under my yard lights in the space of less than 2 minutes. I never used the sights at all and shot 2 to 3 rounds at each one. They were all running away from me and I was running after them. I stopped running at the instant I opened fire. Almost every round hit.

I use point shooting from my 9mm's, 40 and 45's for anything under five yards. As the range increases, I use the sights more and more. The P3AT is capable of some very good aimed fire at much longer ranges. Look over on the Glocktalk Kel Tec forum for target pictures that some have posted. Here is a good discussion of point shooting.

http://www.spw-duf.info/point.html

I believe that at close range sights are unnecessary, That's not to say I don't sight, but at close range as soon as I have the pistol in my peripheral vision and on target, I commence fire. I can lay in a pretty good close range group with point shooting. But I've fired thousands of rounds in practice. Much of it with 22's to pick up the basics.

ETA At 11 ounces fully loaded, you can't get much lighter than a P3AT. Like someone said you can truly forget it's there. And be sure to carry at least one spare magazine of ammo.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  15. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

I don't carry it, but my P32 has never had a malfunction, and that's with me and 6 other people shooting it. And it's hardly "nasty" to shoot. Not bad at all, even with hand-me-down corbon.

16. mrbray101

mrbray101

I agree with you, mines been perfect as well and is no where near "nasty" to shoot. A j frame with +p's loaded into it is far worse to shoot in my opinion.

17. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

HP,

One of my shooting buddies carrys a P32 as back for his Glock 27 (I use the Glock 26 and USED to use the P3AT before my Mother took it over... and my wife took my P32.)

Both the P3AT and P32's I've owned and my friend owned worked fine. Might even get me another P32, chromed, for backup for my Glock in the very hot summer. I use a 642 now for that but it gets mighty hot in Texas!

So, if you get one, get the chromed one. And maybe a pair of 'hot jocks' or 'Thunderwear' to pack the little gun and a knife.

Deaf

18. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've had a P32 for several years. It is small. Very small. Great for fitting in your pocket, terrible for fitting in your hand or hitting what you are shooting it.

I prefer my S&W 642, and if I had the money and really wanted light for the pocket I'd get a S&W 340PD.

I had a P3AT for awhile as well but sold it due to reliability issues. I'm a bit sour on KelTec and their "quality" control, not to mention reliability and durability...but the 32 has done better than the 3AT did

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  19. RichardinNC

RichardinNC

The P32 is a good weapon - for what it is. Very easy to put in a front or back pocket. Easy to shoot but not everyone can handle the Kel-Tec pistols. Operator error leads to FTF, stovepipes and other issues that are often blamed on the pistol. The P-3AT will be more difficult than the P-32 because of increased recoil in the same size frame. Same with P11 vs. the P40. No more P40 because of operator problems - just more recoil that a lot of people could handle. I've looked over my Kel-Tec weapons carefully and feel that the fit and finish is reasonable for their price point. Try one if your shooting form and ability are up to it. I suggest JHP in the P-32 or, if you want hollow points, read up on the modification that prevents rim lock.

20. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

Mine has never had a problem firing. It always functions when you pull the trigger, no matter who is firing it. I still have never carried it for defense. It sits in my safe.