Tell me about the P30

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by gunsmoke92, Jan 11, 2019.

1. A-Train

A-Train Member

LEM with a manual safety is not a typical configuration on the P30 series of pistols. In fact HK does not officially recognize this operating variation and say it will void your warranty if you install the LEM trigger parts into a P30S (manual safety) pistol yourself.

That being said it’s possible, and not all that difficult to do, and you can find a link with pictures and parts required on the HKPro Forum website (PM me if you need help finding it). It does typically require you to remove the rear decock button from the gun, which leaves a small gap on the back of the slide, but it isn’t a big deal and mostly people hardly notice it.

I have two of the standard P30S pistols that I did the conversion on and made LEM with the manual safety still in place and operating.

My two P30LS pistols (the longer slide versions) are a bit more rare however as HK actually “accidentally” imported 500 P30LS pistols into the US with factory installed LEM triggers and an operational manual safety. I can’t remeber what trigger variant they classified this as but finding those guns is pretty uncommon as there were only 500 of them (mine happen to even be sequential serial numbers, hows that for cool).

The HK45 I show in my picture was actually converted to LEM, with the manual safety left in place, by the HK factory, after I bought the pistol. Funny how they seem more than happy to do that variant on the HK45, with no issues regarding the voiding of the warranty. It must be some Tuetonic thing.

I personally find the LEM trigger to be he best of both worlds. A blend of SA/DA with a manual safety (i.e. longer more forgiving trigger pull better for armed “people management” under stress, an “off switch” for all that administrative handling we typically do, and positive hammer control for safer reholstering during concealed or open carry) with the benefits of s striker fired gun (i.e. the same consistent trigger pull every time instead of a long heavy DA pull on the first shot and short crisp pull on subsequent shots).

As someone who has spent time on the two way range as an Army Officer I agree with the whole “your finger is your safety” mantra but also know that under stress, in bad conditions, and when tired, stupid things happen and a manual safety can add an extra layer of safety to tool like a firearm. I would never carry a M4 carbine, or M249 SAW, locked and loaded with no manual safety. Why would I choose to do that with my pistol if given the choice not to?

With proper training a manual safety doesn’t make most shooters noticeably slower during engagement. Most people spend far more time handling their guns under administrative conditions, rather than needing to fast draw and engage multiple targets to save their lives like in a movie scene or action pistol competition. If a couple tenths of a second are going to be the difference between life and death, then in 99.9% of cases I’d say your situational awareness failed you, and not your shooting skills.

Sorry for the long diatribe. LOL! These are only my personal opinions, but I wanted to offer some context as to why I’d want a LEM trigger with manual safety. Frankly I wish Glock would’ve brought their G19x to the civilian market with the manual safety left in place , like their official submission gun had. That would’ve been my near perfect service type pistol.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  2. Shiznown

Shiznown

Can this also be done with the P2000? Also thanks for the info! Actually thinking about it, I guess not since the P2000 doesnt come with a safety in any variant.

3. A-Train

A-Train Member

I don’t know much about the P2000 but since there is not a manual safety version I would guess you’re correct. The USP series of pistols (particularly the compacts) are pretty similar to the P2000 however. I think the P30 series is a more comfortable and versatile gun than the P2000 though so unless you have some need for the P2000 I’d consider the P30 instead.

Shiznown likes this.
  4. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

The P30 is every bit as durable as the USP and IMHO the trigger is much better. I carry one (P30S .40) and abuse it and it has been flawless. I knocked the rear sight off to one side and dinged it up pretty bad so it is on injured reserve waiting on a a new rear sight. It is between a Glock 17 and Glock 19 size wise.

Deputydave likes this.
  5. chemboy

chemboy

Late to the party here, but I have a P30V3 9X19 that is a really,really nice gun. It is fast becoming my favorite and as soon as I get some proper night sights(Trijicon HD) installed it will replace my trusty G19 as my EDC. I am super impressed with this HK.

6. bac1023

bac1023

I don’t know about all that, honestly.

7. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

The RSA is designed to go thousands of rounds —- as in 40K plus —— before replacement. They are tanks. I carry one daily.

Deputydave and gatorboy like this.
  8. DrewBone

DrewBone

Also late to this thread; about two years ago I happened upon a P30 40 V3 at a pawn shop, I think for around $399, in great, hardly used shape, so I purchased it. IMHO it's every bit as good as, and with far superior ergonomics, than a comparatively sized Glack, being very pleasurable to shoot.

As an aside, RCM (Rim Country Manufacturing) out in Arizona manufactures caliber conversion barrels for a number of H&K firearms, the P30 series included, so I purchased a 40S&W to 357sig version for mine and lemme' tell you, RCM's workmanship is incredible, their pricing reasonable (I have 2 of their barrels; the other is a 357sig conversion barrel for one of my Steyr pistols, an M40), and they're trully drop in - operating 100% thusfar without issue. It's a wonderful option for those of us with H&K's and other handguns that had the misfortune of being chambered in the once heralded now in the toilet 40S&W.

9. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

I completely agree with you about RCM barrels. I own three for a P2000 (threaded 40) and P30L (357 Sig and threaded 40).

But 40 in the "crapper"? No.

Deputydave likes this.
  10. DrewBone

DrewBone

I guess your sarcasm detector's broke ;)?! What I meant by "...now in the toilet..." was that the .40S&W cartridge has purportedly fallen from grace, so sayith "the powers to be..."

Well, I personally don't agree, because I like the .40S&W cartridge, and I certainly don't mind the many inexpensive handguns that are popping up all over the place for some pretty reasonable prices, along with them being easily converted to 357sig! What's not to like?!

About RCM...a while back I inquired with Mike Szabo the owner if he'd be interested in producing a run of 357sig conversion barrels for the Steyr pistol models chambered in .40S&W, seeing as how Steyr USA had halted importation of their 357sig models circa 2015 citing "lackluster sales", and there weren't any 357sig OEM barrels available anywhere. Thankully he agreed, and I volunteered to send him my M40 to reverse engineer. He did his laser measuring, then ordered the raw stock and went to work...he had my M40 for maybe a 'couple of months(?), and when all function/test firing was complete we all got the green light to order, and he returned my Steyr back to me complete with it's new conversion barrel, free of charge!

The quality of RCM's workmanship is outstanding, and Mike's really good people. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them and buy again whenever the need arises :D

:cheers:

gatorboy likes this.
  11. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

I should know you better by now

12. DrewBone

DrewBone

I'm sorry gb, I've been trying hard to tone it down a bit due to a recent epiphany...

gatorboy likes this.
  13. noaim

noaim

I have a p30 9mm it’s a very nice gun it fits a hand like a glove highly recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chemboy likes this.
  14. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

The USP’s and P2000’s are built like tanks.

I also own a few P30’s. And while very nice, they just aren’t built like the USP’s and P2K’s.

15. A-Train

A-Train Member

Individual results may vary but I’d say that the 91,300 rounds that ToddG put through his P30 might be evidence that the P30 also has “tank like” reliability.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/category/range-reports/p30-thursday

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    DFM914, Deputydave and HEXE9 like this.
  16. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

I’m well aware of that.

But what the late ToddG did with his P30 doesn’t change my opinion of it.

A-Train likes this.
  17. domino1

domino1

The full size USP line can take the HK Match Trigger which is much better than the standard trigger or the one found in the P30.

18. OD#3

OD#3

I have to admit that I was unaware of much of the HK line after the USP. We were issued HK USP 45's for about a decade until our new training Sergeant convinced the new chief that the double-action/single-action design was difficult to train on. We've since adopted the G-21, and I quit paying attention to HK's offerings until last month when a buddy offered his HK P30SK with light LEM trigger for sale cheap. I bit, and I couldn't be more impressed. Getting a subcompact to shoot as comfortably as a full-sized version isn't easy, but HK pulled it off. Granted, my G30 shoots as well (or better) than my G-21(it is actually a bit more accurate than the full-sized G-21), but it certainly isn't as comfortable in the hand as its larger cousin. The SK version of the P-30 has really impressed me with its ergonomics; it really does shoot as comfortably as a full-sized pistol. And despite its long reset, I've become a big fan of the LEM trigger.

Deputydave likes this.
  19. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

Big fan of the P30 here, not a fan of the LEM configuration though. In my opinion the DA/SA version is highly preferable, and both my P30’s are in that configuration.

I have a regular size and and a L, and like them both very much. I think they are built like tanks, to standards the industry aspires to and don’t see that big gap with the USP line which I think it’s also great but so heavy for carry. One day I will get an Expert, one day.

I have Trijicon HD XR sights on my carry P30 and like them a lot.

In this particular case we have the 100,000 rounds test that the late Todd Green ran on the P30, I would say that it’s a pretty solid base to maintain that the quality of this pistol is outstanding.

DFM914, Deputydave and chemboy like this.
  20. chemboy

chemboy

Though I have only 1600 rds through my P30 thus far, I can't see it failing any time soon? Of course, I've been wrong before(Century Arms C39V2 AK-47-story for another day)...I think time will probably prove the P-series weapons to be very sturdy indeed?