close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tell me about the 35 rem, i have a chance to buy a marlin in this caliber at a good p

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by BLACK Z, Nov 30, 2002.

1. BLACK Z

BLACK Z

I have a chance to buy one of these guns that is in pretty good shape for a good price, what can you tell me about this caliber? My grand father gave me one in a pump that he took a lot of deer with but I have never shot it and don't plan to shoot it that much, I figured I could use this gun without a scope for real bad weather days.
    What is a good round for this gun brand wise and grain wise? what grain sizes do they make? How far can this gun reach out? thanks alot

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Call it a heavier-bullet, slightly-wider-bullet, .30-30. Max effective range is about the same, power is close (slightly more FT/LBS at the muzzle, slightly less at 100 yards), recoil is a tiny bit higher due to the heavier bullet (in similar style guns). Remington used to make two bullet weights, 150 and 200 grains; the latter is all Federal lists in their current catalog, and is probably the better load anyway. Not sure what Remington's current offerings might be.

The .35's fans will tell you (with a straight face) that it's MUCH more effective than a mere .30-30; I've killed deer with both, and I wouldn't necessarily make that claim. But I wouldn't feel poorly armed, either! If I was wanting to chase a black bear around, I'd pick the .35 for the heavier bullet; for deer, place your shot right and I don't think the deer can tell the difference.

The Marlins are fine guns; bull strong, reliable, and easy to scope (unlike the older Winchesters). Check the stock and forend wood for cracks; that's about the only common thing I've seen wrong with these guns.

Good luck!

3. m65swede

m65swede

it is actually much more effective than its "paper ballistics" would suggest. Thousands of .35 Rem's can be found in the deer woods of the northeastern US each year. I would prefer the .35 over the .30-30 in almost every situation. The main difference I can see is that .35 Rem ammo is not as widely available as its smaller brother. (FWIW, our local Farm & Fleet stores here in Illinois stock .35 Rem even though this is a shotgun/slug only state!)

I've a friend in NY state who absolutely worships this old caliber. His deer rifle is an old Remington model 8 semi-auto (the original assault rifle ;f ) with which he has managed to kill 4-8 deer per season on his 160 acre farm for 40+ years. Most shots are close, though I did witness one kill at a range of 175 yards. She jumped straight up and did a flip; a classic heart shot.

My friend uses the 200 grain load exclusively. As an aside, I'll add that I own no lever guns at all but that a good choice would be a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem.

Swede

4. WFR

WFR

Buy it!
    You won't regret it. I still regret parting with mine years ago!
    Great woods gun and launches a 200gr with enough authority for most woods applications.

5. Matthew Temkin

Matthew Temkin

Great caliber. Great gun. Works up to 200 yards, which will handle most of 'em.
    Drops deer like a hammer.
    If I did not already have 2 30-30's I'd pick one up myself.
    If I found one at a good price, I'd probably buy it.

6. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

I've had a Marlin 336 in .35 since my wife gave it to me as a 1st wedding anniversary gift... back in 1973. It's the older model without that dumb crossbolt safety. It's been my "meat" gun for many years. Old reliable is it's name. I've shot too many deer with it to count, and most dropped where they stood.

As far as ammo, you'll find only two commercially available loadings... a 150gr pointed and a 200 gr. roundnose. Federal, Remington, and Winchester all make both loadings (I prefered the Federal before I started handloading my own). *DO NOT USE THE 150gr POINTED BULLETS IN A MARLIN, OR ANY OTHER LEVER GUN!!!!! When the cartridges are in the magazine, the tip of the pointed bullets rests directly on the primer of the cartridge in front of it. If recoil, in combination with the magazine spring's tension, pushes those cartridges "a little too much" into each other, you'll have a disastrous KB. The 200gr roundnose bullets are a better game-getter anyway.

As for sights, this gun is designed for use as a shorter range "brush gun", and though tapped for a scope, a peep sight is a better choice. I'd strongly suggest a Williams 5D adjustable peep. The gun is already tapped for it, on the rear left side of the receiver. Add a Williams "fire sight" blade in the front, and you have a very accurate and virtually indestructable sighting system, that's very fast to pick up a target with, and works well in low light early and late. Brownells has both... if you'd like, I'll give you the part numbers. Both were less than $50 combined when I bought mine.

The only thing I do not like about my 336 is the lever is too small for my hands. It's cold here during deer season... very cold... and with gloves on, I can only fit two fingers in that lever, my "pinkie" finger must stay outside the lever. I know of no aftermarket or factory "oversized" lever replacement for a Marlin.

Edit= * Using a pointed bullet in a Browning BLR, a Winchester 88, or a Savage 99 is OK... they have box type magazines, and the points do not contact another cartridges primer. Pointed bullets should not be used in any rifle that has a tubular magazine... like a Marlin 336, 1895, or a Winchester 94.

7. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

Its a great gun--buy it!!!

8. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

The .35 Rem is a good chambering for all around hunting in the continental USA. I recommend buying it.

9. Matthew Temkin

Matthew Temkin

I just read that Marlin is chambering the 30-30 in it's "Guide Gun" series. It's a Model 336C with a 16 and a half inch barrel.
    I'll bet my bottom dollar that in a year or so they'll have one chambered in the .35 rem.
    That one I will buy!!!

10. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

They already do. I saw several at gun shows last summer. The barrel was 18" (not 16.5"), and it was ported just like the other guide guns in .45-70/.450 Marlin, and had a straight (non pistol gripped) stock. Don't know why it's not in their catalog, unless these were a special order by a distributor or something. I'm absolutely 100% certain it was a .35 Rem. I almost bought one. I "fondled" one for at least 15 minutes. Price was $375... three differant vendors each had one at the same price. But since I already had a Marlin 336C in .35 Rem., I passed it up. BTW, the 336C in .35 Rem that my wife bought me back in 1973, cost her $92 (NIB) at a local sporting goods store. (I still have the receipt).

11. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I can tell you this.... I have owned a marlin 35 remington, and it was great..got an itch and traded it for someting??

I have a friend that has a marlin in 35 rem. he and i were hunting the canyons, 'last day' of the deer season, (this was several years back), he had 'never killed a deer before', and i was guiding him, which i have done for a great number of years now. The sun had set, there was a 'glimmer' of light, he had a really bad, old, weaver 4x scope on it, you could barely see through with 'good eyes,' i got him on a big canyon buck, he was at 175 yards... this guy says.."i can't see him!" (about three or four times). i said man he is right there in plain sight at about 175, in front of you.. he repeats, 'i can't see him'!...turns out, the poor guy forgot his glasses, and could not see through the scope at all! He handed me the gun, (that i had never fired), and said.."you shoot him, and i'll take the meat, you can have the rack."

This sucker had a tree on his head! (the deer..ha), so, i said ok!
    I put the horizontal cross hair just below the deers back, squeezed the trigger, the bullet dropped him in his tracks. 175yds.

There are all kinds of guns and calibers out there.... this is another 'good one.' Will it shoot as flat as a 270, 30-06, etc..? No.
    But it did drop that deer at stated distance with no problem...

i am a big fan of lever action guns, this is a good one.. use it, use good since, do your part, hunt well, place your shot well, you got meat. I would not be afraid of that caliber, with a scope at 200yds.
    and i have done this alot... it will do it!

my son just killed a buck the day after thanksgiving on a trip he took to tennessee, on my uncles place, with his winchester 'Trails End' lever action, in 45LC, and my relods, of 260gr speerJHP, and dropped him in his tracks... don't under estimate the potential of these lever's.

They been around a long time, and they still work...if you do!

Good luck, and good hunting!

CanyonMan