close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tell me about Suburbans

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RCP, Jan 3, 2010.

1. RCP

RCP

Threatening to buy a new family vehicle and after trying to load the kids, dogs, and luggage into our little SUV for the various trips we go on I'm thinking about buying a Suburban. I would be buying a Pre-owned (somewhere between an 03 to an 07 at the newest) I'm a little leary of the reliability of one though as I've always been a loyal Toyota customer and never had a problem of any sort. Any Suburban owners out there that can lay my worries to rest? Any options I should look for or stay away from? Any other vehicles of decent size I should consider? I thought about the Toyota Seqouia but by the time you put passengers in the 3rd row it has no cargo space behind the seat.

2. ThePhoneGuy

ThePhoneGuy

I have an 05 Tahoe. The same thing less 18". I bought it as a lease return at 19,000 miles. Now have 127,000 on it. Except for scheduled things (tires etc) only one problem. The electric shift motor for the transfer case started failing. The Tahoe would start with the transfer case in random positions and would not shift when I wanted. Other than that it is very comfortable and reliable. I own a 16' dual axel trailer and it pulls it well. I would buy another. It is also my work truck which explains the mileage.

3. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

I'm hoping to buy me a good pre-owned '08 Suburban LTZ this year! :supergrin:

4. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Wife drives an 05 Denali XL with right about 50,000 miles on it.

We just put a new tranny in. Out of warranty but with enough *****ing GM picked up half the cost because problems are known with that unit.

Have had a few problems with switches and whatnot. Had to replace the electric seat motor assy with the transmission.

Other than that it is a great vehicle. I hope to keep her in it until the kids are out of that eating, spilling, shoving lollipop sticks in holes, phase.

5. hambone33

hambone33

A friend of mine has a 06 sub . He hasn't had any trouble that I know of . When we load it up and go to a archery tourny in it we usually get about 20mpg on the road if we take his 30' camper it drops down to about 12 mpg which still isn't bad considering the size of the truck and trailer . In comparison the best my tundra has ever got on the road is 18mpg .

6. RCP

RCP

What exactly is the LTZ trim all about? Have the repairs been expensive?

7. RCP

RCP

:wow: Thats awesome my current Toyota Tacoma doesn't hardly get better than 18 and when I put the boat behind it it drops to about 10

8. hambone33

hambone33

It means the thing is loaded . My stepmom has a ltz tahoe that has every available option except 4wd .

9. 87'vette

87'vette

We have a 1999 Chevy Suburban 1500. 140K miles and so far not a problem. We bought it used and have taken several long distance trips with it. If storage is an issue, don't get a Tahoe. As stated once you install the third row, storage space is nonexistent. We opted for an older model because of the rear barn doors. Hate those damn rear lifting doors. And the price was nice!
    Don't discount the older Vortec 350's. Good reliable engines.

10. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

I've got an '04 Z71 Suburban and love it.

Just turned 80,000 miles on it. I've done major road trips with six people and luggage, and also with five people, a small dog, and a huge amount of luggage with the third row removed.

Gas mileage, babying it, is about 13 to 15 in the city, and 17 to 19 on the highway. Put your foot into it, and you're looking at 11 to 14.

Very few problems, to date. I had a leaky seal around the transfer case, replaced under warranty. The speedometer was recalled and replaced for free, just about the time the needle was beginning to jump around (about 50,000 miles). Got a new battery about a year ago. My power windows are getting kind of slow; I'm about to see if there's anything that can be done about that.

The DVD player still works fine. I like the XM radio. My leather seats have lasted very well, despite having kids and dogs crawling all over them.

Other repairs were all self-inflicted flesh wounds; it's a big car and my wife took out a couple of mirrors and bumpers.

I don't do anything special, maintenance-wise. My first set of tires lasted just past 60,000 miles. I have a K&N air filter that I clean and oil every 50,000. I change the oil with Mobil 1 0W/30 synthetic every 10,000 miles. (I had the oil sampled and tested the first couple of times I did this; the oil was in fine shape with no chemicals, metals, or particulates out of limits.)

It's a great truck. I was the only person in my neighborhood to drive out through an 11" snowfall; everyone else was stuck for two days. I like riding up high, compared to other cars. I feel like I'd come out the winner in an accident with just about any other vehicle, except perhaps a Hummer, Ford Excursion, or a commercial truck. I haven't towed anything with it, so I can't comment on that aspect, but 5000 lbs seems like it would cover most boats or trailers.

P.S. I have and love the "barn doors." I don't think they make them, anymore.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  11. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

I've seen several that were used as emergency vehicles that had the devil run out of them, while being loaded down pretty good. Seem like tough vehicles.

12. TennGlocker

TennGlocker

I had a 97 Tahoe. Transmission went out around 100K. Water pump and AC went out around the same time. We have 8 Silverado 1500s at work ranging from '06-'08 and 3 of them had the transmission go out before 100K. Don't know if the Surburbans get the same tranny as the 1500s but, in my experience, GM trannys are not very good. YMMV.

13. rock_jock

rock_jock

My sister's family has a '02 Suburban w/ 220K miles on it. Repairs have been very little so far. It is a great vehicle.

14. slathrum

slathrum

I just bought a '99 suburban for a steal. Had some starting issues which I figured to be a bad fuel pump - a very common problem for 95-99 suburbans. Turns out that was the problem as the previous owner had replaced the original with a cheaper Airtex pump, instead of the OEM AC Delco or Delphi. Average life span of the OEM pumps seems to be about 50-100k miles. It's a little over $300 if you DIY and not too difficult.

15. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

I have a 1998 with 197,000 miles on it. It's a beater and it takes a **** load of abuse. The only thing we had to replace is the fuel pump. The 95-99's had an issue with them. I would not hesitate to purchase another one if I need to.

16. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

Have a 2500 series Suburban (2001).

No problems except a leaky windshield washer fluid tank.

Has 100K+ miles on it.

17. bambikilr

bambikilr

07 is the new body & engine(kinda) more horses better mpg, sold chevy's til this last May...Great Vehicle, best ride of all, not just saying that, i have a ford, Chevy Suburban get one, sounds perfect for what you want...as far as the older style, still a better ride imo...good luck

18. drider

drider

Get the 3/4 ton!

19. okie

okie GT Mayor

They are made by General Motors:supergrin:

20. Downzero

Downzero

They are big, heavy, and get horrible fuel mileage.

3/4 ton comes with a tougher tranny.

1/2 ton trannies have been an issue since they came out in 1982, but are somewhat better today than then.