GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
The Amg labs timer is great for outdoor use and is sensitive enough to pick up hammer falls in dry fire but I’ve yet to find a setting that will pick up my shots indoors and ignore those in neighboring lanes. The ced7000 somehow will pick up only my shots and none from others even at the extreme of my shooting a .22 pistol and the guy in the next lane shooting a sbr. Other than for that application the amg is a better timer in every way.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
OK, I lied....

after further investigation, I’m thinking a mantis X 10 might be the ultimate. Looks like it does everything the AMG does and more. Like holster draw analysis, shows if your twitching when you squeeze the trigger, and lots of stuff like that. (my scientific analysis)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
OK, I lied....

after further investigation, I’m thinking a mantis X 10 might be the ultimate. Looks like it does everything the AMG does and more. Like holster draw analysis, shows if your twitching when you squeeze the trigger, and lots of stuff like that. (my scientific analysis)
I'd like to hear your take on it if you get one.

·
Registered
707 Posts
OK, I lied....

The Mantis-X 10 is awesome. But doesn’t really take the place of a shot timer.
I use mine quite a bit. For my own practice with dry fire, CO2 recoil fire, air soft, and live fire and in helping other troubleshoot issues they are having. It is a very valuable tool. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I have been using the Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II for several years.

It’s a decent entry level shot timer. You can catch it on sale for $100 every now and then but the normal price is usually ~$125.

I have used it a lot without issues, even at the indoor range. It has decent battery life and it’s user friendly and easy to figure out.

I haven’t used it much on a crowded range, so I can’t testify to how it will work when lots of other gunshots are going off nearby. I normally have the range to myself. Sometimes cheaper timers have difficulty with a crowded range.
Yes, I have one too. Works flawlessly with my G44 also. No timer is going to be able to ignore the shots fired by others on the firing line. I just look down real quick once my slide locks back and remember the time. Segment times are to be dis-counted in a multi-shooter environment.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I have the same one. It goes through batteries fast. I set mine for three second shots.

I have been using the Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II for several years.

It’s a decent entry level shot timer. You can catch it on sale for $100 every now and then but the normal price is usually ~$125.

I have used it a lot without issues, even at the indoor range. It has decent battery life and it’s user friendly and easy to figure out.

I haven’t used it much on a crowded range, so I can’t testify to how it will work when lots of other gunshots are going off nearby. I normally have the range to myself. Sometimes cheaper timers have difficulty with a crowded range.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The Mantis-X 10 is awesome. But doesn’t really take the place of a shot timer.
I use mine quite a bit. For my own practice with dry fire, CO2 recoil fire, air soft, and live fire and in helping other troubleshoot issues they are having. It is a very valuable tool. Highly recommended.
Could you please explain why it doesn’t take the place of a shot timer? Pardon me for my ignorance...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Could you please explain why it doesn’t take the place of a shot timer? Pardon me for my ignorance...
You would be limited to how you could use it. At a match you can not expect to place the sensor on the competitor’s gun to time them. Some may not even contain a rail. My current every day carry (Wilson EDC X9) does not.

While “holster draw analysis” is one of the functions. Most holsters will not be compatible to allow its use.

For your specific limited use, it may work for you as a timer. Absolutely, it is capable of making a tone and measuring you shots through the attached sensor. But if I personally had to choose between the Mantix and a Timer, I would buy the timer for my needs.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
I'm going to buy a shot timer.

Can anyone make a recommendation? Looking to keep it under $150 or thereabouts.

ETA: shot timer app recommendations welcome too.
The Amg labs timer is great for outdoor use and is sensitive enough to pick up hammer falls in dry fire but I’ve yet to find a setting that will pick up my shots indoors and ignore those in neighboring lanes. The ced7000 somehow will pick up only my shots and none from others even at the extreme of my shooting a .22 pistol and the guy in the next lane shooting a sbr. Other than for that application the amg is a better timer in every way.
OK, I lied....

I have a ShotMaxx (wrist mounted one) and an AMG Commander.

The ShotMaxx has an accelerometer setting so it only records audible shots that are associated with recoil. Very handy for filtering out other people on the range.

It’s the only type of timer that IMO can do it reliably. But you have to remember to change back to pure audio or move it to the appropriate wrist if you’re doing strong hand weak hand stuff.

I think for most people practicing solo it adds functionality that you can’t get with other timers. It’s also very efficient to check and reset. No grappling on the belt and no extra bulk when doing draw or CCW drills.

I like the AMG commander too, but honestly without using the PractiScore app to Bluetooth advanced string data it doesn’t add much to my practice over the ShotMaxx.

MantisX10, not being able to use my holsters would eliminate that from consideration. I also don’t know how it would work on very dynamic transitions.

It seems like I can get everything out of a Mantis quicker by observing my red dot motion on trigger press. But for people who don’t know where they are going wrong, it could be helpful. I have one of the original Mantis and it was helpful for my wife on a static target... mainly because I didn’t have to give her advice, lol.

I don’t use app shot timers. I usually just go with straight par timers when I dry fire. I can tell if I best the par time and that’s good enough for what I need.

Hope that was helpful!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a CE PPII and it has been fine for my needs. I think I paid $100 for it. I wish they would come out with a "less boxy" version.

·
Combat Diver
3,362 Posts
I have yet to read a review on a phone app that worked well. Hopefully someone can change that.
I use one and it can be finnicky. You have to set the sensitivity and then "save" the profile for that round, in those conditions. You also have to have a way of having it close to you when shooting. Its called Splits.

I also have a shot max wrist timer and a PACT which I prefer.

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
The most often used timer in competition is the Competition Electronics Pocket Pro or Pro 2. Large display, good ergo, sensitive mike, easiest to use. I have a Pro 2, in addition to a RUREADY and a CED 7000. The Pro 2 is the best.

That Mantis thing is a gimick, no good for competition. And for that kind of money, you would be far, far better off to take shooting lessons from a competition master and get your fundamentals down: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control, then movement and transitions. Shooting is 99% the shooter, and 1% gun and gear.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts