GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to buy a shot timer.

Can anyone make a recommendation? Looking to keep it under $150 or thereabouts.

ETA: shot timer app recommendations welcome too.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have heard of shot timer apps for your cell phone, but I don’t know much about those either.

May I also borrow your post to ask about those as well please?

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
I have been using the Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II for several years.

It’s a decent entry level shot timer. You can catch it on sale for $100 every now and then but the normal price is usually ~$125.

I have used it a lot without issues, even at the indoor range. It has decent battery life and it’s user friendly and easy to figure out.

I haven’t used it much on a crowded range, so I can’t testify to how it will work when lots of other gunshots are going off nearby. I normally have the range to myself. Sometimes cheaper timers have difficulty with a crowded range.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard of shot timer apps for your cell phone, but I don’t know much about those either.

May I also borrow your post to ask about those as well please?
Lol, of course!

Fwiw, I did try one (forgot which one) and it didn’t work well.

·
NRA Life Member
28,701 Posts
+1 on the CED 7000.

upload_2020-11-27_13-52-9.jpeg

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I have yet to read a review on a phone app that worked well. Hopefully someone can change that.

Reactions: Dr_fast

·
Native Mainiac
20,660 Posts
I have a PACT...it works OK, but not intuitive. I don't use it that often, so it's a bit of a learning curve every time I do.

·
Registered
14,493 Posts
The AMG is probably the top dog these days. I got to "T&E" one for a while last year. If you are not running matches, the advanced features won't mean much to you, but they are nice in different circumstances.
The CED-7000 is a great choice. I've run hundreds of matches with them for many years. They are overpriced these days since they haven't improved and the price has increased. I'd like to see them under $100 these days unless they make a new version with upgrades.
Any of the older style boxy timers would probably work fine for general practice and should be priced better.

As for apps, Surefire made a great one, but stopped supporting it. All the others I've tried have been useless.

·
Scottish Member
11,463 Posts
The AMG is probably the top dog these days. I got to "T&E" one for a while last year. If you are not running matches, the advanced features won't mean much to you, but they are nice in different circumstances.
The CED-7000 is a great choice. I've run hundreds of matches with them for many years. They are overpriced these days since they haven't improved and the price has increased. I'd like to see them under $100 these days unless they make a new version with upgrades.
Any of the older style boxy timers would probably work fine for general practice and should be priced better.

As for apps, Surefire made a great one, but stopped supporting it. All the others I've tried have been useless.
The CED 7000 was the only one that would reliably pick up .22 rifle (steel challenge). I’m told that the AMG works as well.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I’ve used the for dry fire with delay / par. They work ok for this purpose. Actual shooting, not so much.
That pretty much sums up the reviews I've read.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm seeing the CED7000 for around $130 - does that seem right? Seems pretty fair.

·
Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
8,527 Posts
Suggest to view on hand competition and there use. Comments here have some validity but bias might be a better motive.

·
Registered
709 Posts
If you can stand the 90-120 day wait, I feel the AMG labs timer is the best in the market. I own 2 CED 7000s and now a AMG, and the AMG is better in every way. Larger display, louder, better sensitivity and outside (other lane) shot rejection. Can configure multiple profiles to quickly switch modes.
I’m very impressed with mine so far.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts