close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tell me about radio controlled cars

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jame, Mar 31, 2012.

1. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

My grandson and I are talking about getting a couple of RC cars to run around the farmstead. The would be used primarily on a lightly graveled driveway.

I don't want to sink the wallet on simple toys, but I'd like us to have some reliable fun. Can anyone point me in a particular direction?

2. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

My son and I are avid RC'rs... We built a small practice track and get after it often.

However, my advice is probably not what you want to hear...because it's expensive.

Instead I will let you know that hobby grade RC is a great hobby, and there are several ready to run vehicles made by Traxxas that are a common starting point for lots of enthusiasts. We started with a couple of Slash short course trucks that I bought when we had a snowstorm and were bored... A few years later we do not currently have any Traxxas products but that is because we went from bashing (playing) to racing competitively in several classes. We prefer brushless electric because the power and versatility of the Lithium polymer batteries is fantastic, and we race indoors so the nitro fumes would be too much. We also like the fact that we can practice and race on our backyard track anytime without annoying the neighbors... But some folks love the nitro.

Whatever you do, make sure you can get parts locally. Make sure the brand is supported. We break a lot of parts racing, and bashing is even tougher on the equipment. Waiting on a shipped $6 part that is keeping you from running is not good.

Have fun, attend a race if there is one in your area, and ask questions. RC'rs are friendly and always looking for new people to enter the hobby.

3. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

I've been out of the game for a long long time now, but what Dan said is true.

Go with what you can get locally. Traxxas is a good start.

Back in the early 90s I raced pan cars. Associated RC10L to be exact(still have it). Lots of fun, but parts broke. Trucks are better in that respect if you don't beat on them though.

4. JLB768

JLB768 Old & Grumpy Lifetime Member

Another + for Traxxas. I've got a Bandit VXL that has taken an absolute beating, and is still running strong, I've only had to replace tires. The Bandit VXL has some pretty impressive speed too, I'm getting close to 70 MPH out of mine.

5. elsolo

elsolo

+2
    Used to race RC-10 buggies back in the early 90's

My old buddy that raced with me back then just got a Traxxas last year, they are friggin light years ahead of the crap I used to blow big bucks on. They are so much faster, the run time is incredible, and it doesn't break a bunch of parts everytime he runs in the "basher class" at the local RC speedway.

You will drop over a grand for two trucks and the accessories, but anything less will be a broken toy in no time.

6. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

I got started in RC back when the RC10 still had a gold aluminum chassis. Cycling my batteries and turning down my commutators was fun stuff. Nowadays the advancements they have made in motors, batteries and speed controls just blow my mind. Don't even get me started on the radios.

The last car I built was an HPI parking lot racer that had more titanium and carbon fiber than an F22. It cost around $1500 and was so fast that hitting an empty styrofoam cooler shattered the carbon chassis like it was a gram cracker.

Don't let it get a hold on you. I learned too late that money's better spent on guns and ammo.

7. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I raced RC10s in the late '80s. They're a lot of fun if you are at all good with your hands. When my brother and I were doing it there were no Ready To Run cars that stood a chance on the track against an Associated RC10 or a Losi JRX-2 (and I had both). Oh, and as someone above said, You can sink 2 grand into cars, batteries, parts, chargers, and tools before you know it.

8. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

I've been doing this recently with my 9 y/o son.

Couple thoughts - you can have a blast with cheap toy-grade RC cars at a very reasonable price. But you're going to be doing it for a pretty short time. At least half the fun is bashing, flipping, and generally abusing the cars, and the toy stuff will die quickly. You can probably safely buy whatever Costco is selling (not so much Wal-mart), and have a good time without breaking the bank.

Traxxas is the 'standard' hobby-grade starting point, and their stuff is quite good. After a bit of mucking around, my son and I now have a Traxxas Slash 4x4 and a Stampede 4x4. We tried a couple of the 2-wheel drive versions (cheaper), but they just got stuck too much, where the 4x4's will handle a shocking variety of terrain. These feel expensive for 'toys', and you'll need to use them quite a bit to fully-amortize them, but it's probably cheaper than buying a succession of toy-grade stuff that you end up killing.

You can often find used Traxxas vehicles for VERY reasonable prices on Craigslist or similar, which is a great way to get started. I'd highly recommend looking ONLY at electric vehicles - the nitro-fueled ones are cheap used, but a LOT more hassle and more dangerous with hot engines, liquid fuel, etc. You'll be 1000% happier with the ones that use rechargeable batteries.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  9. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

When they are coming toward you, right is left and left is right.

10. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

I don't believe in radio control.

:whistling:

11. carloglock19

carloglock19

My son and I have been into R/C cars/trucks since he was about 5 years old. We have owned a few Traxxas, Team Losi, Team Associated and Tamiya trucks and on road vehicles over the years. The best basher and bang for your buck is Traxxas, I still have an '03 E-Maxx that we have beat up for ever now and still runs like a champ. The R/C hobby can turn into a money pit if you let it. Out of all the vehicles we have owned we still have the E-Maxx, TC-4 and Stampede. The Stampede is a good starter and if you really want to go all out the E-Revo is an amazing R/C. Look on ebay we have bought a few used vehicles and you can always buy bits and pieces and end up with something you and your kid can build together making it some good bonding time. We haven't played with our toys for a few years now since most of my money is going into another expensive hobby: Guns and ammo! :)
    Oh by the way for light gravel fun make sure you stay away from aluminum chassis etc. They get dinged up to fast and those parts are expensive. Traxxas makes some good plastic stuff and if you break something it will be easy on the wallet to replace. Good luck and have fun.
    Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. carloglock19

carloglock19

I still have my gold tub chassis RC10 that I bought as a kid back in '86 with my hard earned money from working all summer. The soldering job I did on the electronics was priceless, I remember my old man looking over my shoulder as I put the kit together.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

13. Seminoles

Seminoles Millennium Member

Its a very addictive hobby. I spent $7000.00 in 10 months once.
    I started with a Traxxas JATO and 10 months later I had 16 different vehicles. Upgrading the parts, better battery chargers, radios, servos ect gets expensive.
    Its a lot of fun. I had the most fun running Truggies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

14. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

Damn………I guess I wasn't looking for this kind of cash outlay. I might try to find a used Traxx on Craig's List or ebay.

Otherwise, this hobby is going to die on the vine. We already stick money into ATV's, and the last thing I need is another cash drain.

It looks fun, but the way it's sounding, I'm thinking maybe notsomuch….

15. carloglock19

carloglock19

Check out Tower Hobbies they always have $10, $20, $25 off coupons depending on how much you spend. Ebay has some good deals as well, pawn shops etc.

16. jellis11

jellis11 Yippee-ki-yay

My favorite has always been the Traxxas Revo. I have only run nitro and love it. My buddy has a Jato and Revo... both brushless. Those things are awesome too. But yeah, Traxxas is great place to start, parts are ready and cheap at most stores and online. And they can take a beating. I usually see some good deals around here on CL, you are right to look there.

17. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Don't get too discouraged. Most of the people talking about how expensive it is were racing. Like racing almost anything else if you want to stay on the bleeding edge it's going to cost money relative to the hobby or toy grade vehicles. I had dozens of tires, batteries, gears, speed controllers, and was a sucker for the latest titanium suspension upgrades. You can probably find a very nice Traxxas truck, or two, for a couple of hundred dollars and they will be fine for bashing around the back yard or park.

18. Seminoles

This is a great idea. Plus Tower Hobbies has a 3 month payment plan on a lot of their R/C cars/trucks.
    The most durable Traxxas product we had was a Traxxas Russler. Very durable and when tuned right is almost as fast as a Jato.
    Truggies are fun because they handle like a buggy but you take take jumps and go through rough terrain like a monster truck.

19. Seminoles

Here are a few pics of mine after I fixed them up a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. RC-RAMIE

RC-RAMIE

Used Traxx is a great start the RC hobby is not that expensive racing is and RC cars usually leads to RC racing main reason my wife will not let me buy one till some CC are paid off. Bashing in the yard is not bad after initial purchase spread the purchases out over time and you can convince yourself it's affordable. If he is interested It is a great hobby to give a try.

ETA

Modern electric RC are fast, good run and charge times and are easy to operate and own. I like to suggest learn the hobby with electric and then switch to nitro.

"Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it is realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy. - Ron Paul