GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Titegroup was the first pistol powder, besides H-110, that I was able to get wen I started reloading after Sandyhook and the last shortage. I load 38 Special cases and coated button nose wadcutters just below max with TG. It works well for that. It is very fine, meters well and is super dense. You could fit a quadruple charge in a 38 case.
I don't make light .357 loads and use Unique for .44 Special or light 44 mag loads. I would use it for 44's, if I could not get a powder closer to a medium burn rate. Of the powders I have now, I believe 231 would be better suited to 44 bullets than TG.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,153 Posts
In the last 20 or so years when I went with TG for 9mm for GSSF. In that time frame I have tried. WSF, WST, Unique, ACC 5 and 2, Rex 2, VV N320 and N330, Sport Pistol, 231, Clays, Bullseye, Power Pistol, CFE, and probably a few more. Every time I go back to TG. The only downside is if you are shooting on a hot summer day and put down a lot of rounds, the gun does get hot. Other than that. TG gives me the best accuracy and light recoil for 147 and now 124 grain bullets also 100 grain. X-Treme plated bullets.

If you are worried about a double charge using TG, I would suggest reviewing your reloading practice.

·
Ninja
2,728 Posts
TG is one of my favorite powders.

It does have limitations. Recognize them and you will be fine.

Reactions: yep380

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
TiteGroup? Other than running on a 550 manual indexing press, how do you double it on a SD, 650/750 or 1050 auto indexer?

So I've used TiteGroup since 2001 on a Dillon Square Deal for 9mm and .45acp, but never on my 1986 550. Yes, a 9mm case can hold over 10 grains of TG, so the 550 always runs on a low density high volume slow burning powder. Latest loadings were for .357SIG running a 125 gr MG JHP over 8.6 grains of BE86.

TG is to fast for 357REM MAG.

To get a pic of TG doubled on a SD, I had to remove the case and start over as the index pawl has engaged the shell plate long before the cases hits the powder thru die. It's 6.8 grs of TG (normal 3.4 grs TG under a 124 Bayou at 1.100"

Here is 4.7 grs of BE86 on the 550. A double will spill over the case.

·
Registered
705 Posts
In the last 20 or so years when I went with TG for 9mm for GSSF. In that time frame I have tried. WSF, WST, Unique, ACC 5 and 2, Rex 2, VV N320 and N330, Sport Pistol, 231, Clays, Bullseye, Power Pistol, CFE, and probably a few more. Every time I go back to TG. The only downside is if you are shooting on a hot summer day and put down a lot of rounds, the gun does get hot. Other than that. TG gives me the best accuracy and light recoil for 147 and now 124 grain bullets also 100 grain. X-Treme plated bullets.

If you are worried about a double charge using TG, I would suggest reviewing your reloading practice.
I’m interested in what you like about Titegroup over Sport Pistol. I’ve used over 120# of TG, but started using SP this year in my 9mm 124g loads. The SP seems to be equal in almost every regard but burns cooler in all the rounds and a bit less smoke in the coated bullets. The recoil peaks is slightly less with the SP, closer to N320. The cost is slightly higher, about 10% and about 3% more powder needed per charge.

I still like Titegroup, but Sport Pistol is now my preferred powder in this application, with TiteGroup and N320 now as my backups.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
I've seen 231 referenced elsewhere. Some suggest it's more like Unique. Is that your experience? Is it a similar volume (in the case)? Similar burn rate? Etc?
231 is much closer to Unique in burn rate. It is not a fluffy powder like Unique, so is much more like TG in that regard. It is also a fine powder and meters more like TG than Unique.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
231 is ......... also a fine powder and meters more like TG than Unique.
Which, is to say, it meters well in the Dillon Square Deal powder throw?

·
Registered
35,122 Posts
I've seen 231 referenced elsewhere. Some suggest it's more like Unique. Is that your experience? Is it a similar volume (in the case)? Similar burn rate? Etc?
No w231/hp38 are faster than unique by quite a bit. Unique is a bulky flake powder where hp38/231 are sphericals.

·
Registered
35,122 Posts
I’m interested in what you like about Titegroup over Sport Pistol. I’ve used over 120# of TG, but started using SP this year in my 9mm 124g loads. The SP seems to be equal in almost every regard but burns cooler in all the rounds and a bit less smoke in the coated bullets. The recoil peaks is slightly less with the SP, closer to N320. The cost is slightly higher, about 10% and about 3% more powder needed per charge.

I still like Titegroup, but Sport Pistol is now my preferred powder in this application, with TiteGroup and N320 now as my backups.
I prefer ASP to TG if you want tiny charges. Its accurate & without the high heat or scorching or melting of bullet lubes (smoke) or bullet coatings. I still like wst over either but if vv320 wasnt so expensive I could switch to that & be happy.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Which, is to say, it meters well in the Dillon Square Deal powder throw?
I don't have a Dillion. TG, 231, and Unique are flake shaped powders. TG is the smallest size of the three, Unique the largest, and 231 in between the two, but closer to TG in size. They all meter well through my Lee Auto-drum powder measure.

·
Registered
35,122 Posts
I don't have a Dillion. TG, 231, and Unique are flake shaped powders. TG is the smallest size of the three, Unique the largest, and 231 in between the two, but closer to TG in size. They all meter well through my Lee Auto-drum powder measure.
Technically TG & 231 are spherical, flattened ball powders, not flake.

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
I like it for .45 Colt because its not position sensitive. And a little goes a long ways.
But you have to be careful. It would be easy to double charge with that long fat case.

·
Registered
35,122 Posts
I like it for .45 Colt because its not position sensitive. And a little goes a long ways.
But you have to be careful. It would be easy to double charge with that long fat case.
Triple charges would disappear. I think too much is made over powder position. Fast powders are easy to ignite. I used 5gr or Reddot in 45colt for CAS loads. About twice the volume of an equiv TG load but still possible to dbl if not paying attention.

Reactions: norton

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,153 Posts
On the SD, 650, 750 and the 1050 with the Fail Safe system if you use as intended. It is impossible to get a double charge. Unless you take the charged case out and put it back under the powder measure. A squib yes, but not a double. It’s why I recommend that if you pull a charged case out of the press without a bullet sitting on the charged case, you dump the powder. Besides always looking inside of the case if possible for powder and also either using the Dillon or DA powder check

·
Registered
686 Posts
Titegroup is all the have ever used for 9mm. I load 124 and 145 coated over trite group and am happy. I'm not saying it's the best but it works.

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
Trile charge would disappear. I think too much is made over powder position. Fast powders are easy to ignite. I used 5gr or Reddot in 45colt for CAS loads. About twice the volume of an equiv TG load but still possible to dbl if not paying attention.
I use TG in my .45 Colt loads when I run out of Trail boss.

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
TiteGroup? Other than running on a 550 manual indexing press, how do you double it on a SD, 650/750 or 1050 auto indexer?
I run a 550 with a Casefeeder. If I doubled a powder load the feeder will slide 2 cases into the resizing/deprime station, locking up the press.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I use it often. I bought quite a bit of it cheaply. It's still relatively inexpensively, and it works. My press is a Hornady lock-n-load progressive, and it meters very consistently once setup. It is fast burning and a little does go a long way; there isn't a lot of room for error with TG.

I've loaded and shot:

380 copper plated
9mm copper plated 115gr, 124gr, and powder coated 124gr
38sp 125gr copper plated, 148gr copper coated WC and powder coated WC

I haven't loaded 45 ACP with it, but would if I didn't have other powders I generally use for 45.

I find it works well on the range. It does have a certain smell to it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Meters great - flows through a Dillon 550 measure like water, & very consistent. For 45 auto, 4.5 grains under a cast 200SWC.
Double charge potential? Obviously possible, but like anything else - pay attention.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts