Tell me about GOLF ASAP

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SiberianErik, Apr 9, 2012.

1. SiberianErik

SiberianErik

Ok, I need a crash course in GOLF !!! uhh terms :whistling:

I have an unexpected chance to interview for an executive level position w/ a large REIT. The CEO and CFO I am meeting w/ are huge golf guys, like crazy for golf like we are for guns I guess.

Anyway, I will not be working in the same state w/them so its not like I am going to pinched into a tight spot having to prove my BS from what I say in the interview.

I know Golf will come up during the meeting and from what others have told me, it is actually a huge factor if they like/hire you, I know crazy right.

So here is the deal, I know nothing about golf other than Tiger Woods likes lots of babes, and he lives just down the road :cool: that's it, nothing else. I tried watching the Masters for 3 days but jeez I was falling asleep every 5 mins.

Bogey, birdy, eagle wtf ??? I know par is like avg and that is 72 right ?

What are good clubs ? like the HK of clubs ?? any forums I can goto to study up on this stuff. Just enough to BS for 3 mins if I am backed into a corner. I already know the names of local courses. Thanks

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Par is equal to whatever the Hole is rated at.
    Bogey is +1 over par
    Birdie is -1 under par
    Eagle is -2 under par
    Double bogey is +2 over par

I haven't played since my dad made me in high school so I can't tell you anything about clubs.

A hook goes left and slice goes right. Fairway is the nice pretty grass in the middle that you want to keep the ball in.

The Rough is the crud on the outside you don't want to hit into. Sand trap is just that, a trap of sand to catch the ball. The green is the flat grass surface that keeps the hole.

Gas golf carts can flat out fly and jump hills when set up right. Electric carts are usually loaned to non-members. LOL

3. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

If the interview is in the next couple days, I imagine all the talk would be about the Masters. Find a recording and watch the last hour or two. Make small talk about anything that happened during that time.

The way Bubba Watson hit the green from the pine needles would be a great start.

You can also talk about how Mickelson got a quad bogey. Ugly.

4. Ragnar

Ragnar

I think you'd be a lot better off being honest than trying to snow guys who know better.

5. USMCSergeant

USMCSergeant

Golf isnt something you go out the first time and expect to do anything other than flail around like an idiot. It's hard, frustrating, confusing, demanding.. Also very expensive equipment wise. Since you won't have to prove you can play...

Mizuno is maybe the HK of clubs,or Taylor made, ping.m everyone has favorites. Birdie is good. Say youre playing a par4, you get the ball in the hole in 3. Birdie, minus one. A bogey would be making a 5, one over. Par would keep you even. Tell them you fight a nasty slice, but you can hit it 300 yards, like every other golfer does.. Lol

6. Lithium

Lithium

I don't recommend trying to BS golf to golf nuts, they will see right through you.

You can say you've been thinking about playing golf because your father-in-law or friend recently invited you to play. Or maybe you just met a beautiful gal and she loves golf, etc. :whistling: Admit your knowledge is limited but that you are interested in the sport because of other factors, that will put you on their good side during the interview without appearing to be an ***kisser.

Quickie lesson in terminlogy:

Each hole has a standard number of strokes, or par. A short hole (generally distance of less than 150 yards) has a par of 3 strokes. A longer hole 500+ yards will have a par of 5.

When a player takes the same number of strokes as the standard to "hole out" (finish paying), that person is said to have "made par."

If the player finishes that hole under par by 1 shot, it is a "birdie."

If the player finishes that hole under par by 2 shorts, it is an "eagle."

If the player finishes that hole over par by 1 shot it is a "bogie."

If the player finishes that hole over par by 2 shots it is a "double bogie."

If the player finishes that hole over par by 3 shots it is a "triple bogie."

If you do worse than 3 shots over you just suck.

There are a lot of manufacturer of golf clubs and balls and gear, you will not be able to know them all. People have different allegiance to these manufacturers, again you will not be able to discuss them without extensive immersion.

7. itstime

itstime

Good advice if they are hiring your for your knowledge of golf bull.

Or be honest and try to get the job for your talent alone.

8. gigab1te

gigab1te

Rent Goldfinger...

9. Hyksos

Hyksos

Talk about how you live close to PGA national. Hell, drive down to PGA national and look around. It's an awesome facility. Also, you can point out that many golfers live in Jupiter. Jason Day lives in the Loxahatchee club in Jupiter. Ricky Fowler moved to Jupiter, my friend has met him a few times. Tiger Woods lives on Jupiter Island (as you already mentioned).

Don't try and be fake about golf. You can be fake about wanting to be interested in golf. Florida is the golf capital of the world. Say that you're finally starting to wonder what it's all about and you're interested in learning. It may be boring to watch sometimes, but it's awesome to play. I played yesterday.

And, for your own personal benefit, you do actually live in the golf capital of the world. Might as well embrace it! People pay thousands of dollars to come here and play golf during the winter. You have courses all over the place in your own backyard.

EDIT:

Keegan Bradley is from Tequesta. He's also a Pro.

As for clubs, they go from shortest to longest.

The loft (angle) on the clubs goes like this. The sand wedge (shortest club) has the most loft - that means it will knock the ball highest in the air, but it goes short, around 100 yards). The next is Pitching wedge, it's a little less angled. Then 9 iron has a little less loft, etc.. all the way to the 5 or 4 iron. The Fairway woods have big heads on them, and they are barely angled at all. They will go very far. The driver has the least loft and will go the furthest. It is also the longest club you have.

Hybrids are new, they are like a combination of a fairway wood and an iron. Also, the term "wood" is used for clubs that are metal. They're starting to call them "fairway metals" but people will say "fairway wood" too. They aren't actually wood, they're metal.

A 5 wood will shoot a little less distance than a 3 wood. Why? The 3 wood has a little less loft than the 5 wood, and the club itself is longer. Hope this helps understand golf a little more.

10. steve581581

steve581581

If you can drink beer you can play golf. That's how it was explained to me anyways.

11. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Don't wear your cleats in the club house.

12. 9jeeps

9jeeps rip "Bud"

Much ado about nothing!:kidding:

13. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Bring cigars an booze and don't be afraid to look foolish and you will have a great time.
    I miss golf a bit,I sucked at it but it's fun-my friend who I golfed with died of cancer and I have not swung a club since.

I once got par on a big sized 18 hole course-what a glorious day.
    Normally I'm 2-3 over par on every hole.

14. i8547

i8547 Without Equal

Turn your lack of knowledge around to an advantage. Just like you came here seeking advice and knowledge about the game, use that in the interview. When they ask you the first golf related question, crack the ice by using something along the lines of...

"Oh man! I've been trying to immerse myself in the game as much as possible lately after seeing how someone like Bubba Watson can win The Masters with no formal lessons at all... so now I'm really interested in getting into the game but just need someone to point me in the right direction. How did you guys get into golf?"

Then let them do all the talking and take the "father teaching a son" role. Then all you have to do is soak it all up and feed into it.

I manipulate people for a living, trust me on this one.

15. benji

benji

16. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

I'm not a fan of BS'ing - you're always going to get called on it at some point.

If you must, I'd probably go with something like 'I really enjoy golf, but I'm just getting started. I try to make it to the driving range when I can, and now I'm at the point where people don't have to clear out from the tees on either side of me. (self-deprecating chuckle).'

I'd highly recommend taking a couple hours at the local driving range getting a basic lesson before you try even this much BS, though, or you'll look like an idiot liar when they ask you even basic questions about the range.

17. BamaAL24

BamaAL24

In my limited experience(I'm young in the business world, only a couple years out of school) BS'ing them is a bad idea. They'll see through it just like you would see through someone BS'ing you about guns.

Gain as much knowledge as possible, but admit your ignorance too. For me, playing golf has been a lot like shooting guns. Those more experienced have always been willing to take a new guy out to show them the ropes and teach them. It may even stroke their egos( no pun intended). I'm assuming you will fit the job on your own merit but they may enjoy bringing their new exec to the links to teach about more than just golf.

Also, pick up golf. It's expensive and time consuming, but a great place to have a meeting outside of a conference room. Let us know how it goes.

18. RichJ

RichJ

Think about how laughable (then latter downright insulting) it is when non-gun people try to BS about how much they know about guns.

Usually they expose themselves right away by saying something uterly stupid from the bits they have picked up along the way; Like talking about how they carry a 8mm single-stack Glock 15.

Don't do that.

19. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Golf is a stupid game!

BUT

You have to play for 40 years to have the right to say that.

20. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

It's a long walk interspaced with moments of bewilderment whilst trying to find a little white ball.

If you can't converse on the sport from experience and convey the proper nuances you're going to be very successful at looking like the fraud you're trying to portray.

If the subject comes up explain that while you're envious of anyone who is skilled at such a challenging endeavor your particular interest lies elsewhere... in this case a certain area of the shooting disciplines, i.e. pistol gaming, three-gun, bullseye, skeet/trap, black powder, etc.

If applicable you might relate that you got interested in shooting during your military service, family member or close friend is in law enforcement or the old standby, you have loving memories of your father/grandfather taking you out shooting as a young boy.

They may actually be more impressed and interested in your shooting acumen than they would be in your golfing skills.

One other point to consider, would you want to hire someone who started the employment process by lying to you?

Good luck.

Jack