close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tell me about Colorado Springs!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by EM87, Jun 20, 2012.

1. EM87

EM87

Some of you have seen and posted in my recent thread about my upcoming relocation across the country. To summarize it, my girlfriend and I will be selling most of our things and moving to a place we've never been in order to have an adventure. For those who are interested, here is the link:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1427088

Here is the current situation (because it seems that nobody is reading the other thread anymore):

We've pretty much narrowed it down to two places: the Asheville/Hendersonville, NC area (I can easily avoid the liberal politics in the city of Asheville) and Colorado Springs, CO.

I am currently applying to aviation-related jobs in both areas. There is one thing I am wondering about Colorado Springs, and I'm hoping someone here can help me out: how is the city and surrounding area structured? Where I'm from, there is a small, central downtown, a few universities nearby, and plenty of housing within a 10 minute walk of either. What is Colorado Springs like? It looked more like a small urban sprawl on the google map, but it was hard to tell. I'm just wondering how easy it is to get around and if there is really any center to the city. Anything anyone can tell me about the city and the surrounding area would be very helpful.

2. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Before you commit..I would visit both places.

COS is right next to pikes peak and Cheyenne Mountain (NORAD). You must keep in mind in CO property values are greatly influenced by mountain views. Many people also like to have some space. So what is a high value property is lots of space with nice mountain views.

Why is the mountain view important? Because it limits how far from the mountains the houses are. If you get too far, you don't have a nice view. Therefore all the major cities are very long north-south but very short east-west. The west is bordered by the mountains and the east is bordered by where people have nice views of mountains.

One thing that you also probably don't realize is that CO has over 300 days of sunshine a year.

But all that said, you would be much happier in Asheville. Move to Asheville. You will like Asheville much better. Move to Asheville. We MAY take you if you have never lived in California before......

3. Ftttu

Ftttu

If you are into aviation then I'm sure you know the Airforce Academy is there. It and the surrounding area is a major tourist destination. There are too many good things to say about it so I won't since I'm on my iPhone at the moment. My dad lives nearby in Woodland Park and he ventures into "The Springs" for his major shopping needs. Again, there are too many good things to say about it here.

4. Booker

Booker

Colorado Springs has a downtown area. Colorado College is close to the downtown area. If you like hiking, biking, or being outdoors, you'll like it here. The weather is mild and we don't get much snow, but when we get a storm, we get a storm!

Overall the area is conservative, but we have a vocal liberal community. No one pays them much mind. Local elections are usually decided in the primaries.

Plenty of churches and we also have several Universities. UCCS, CC, and the "Working People" colleges.

There are 5 Military bases in El Paso County, 4 Air Force, 1 Army.

Concealed Weapons permits are easy to get, but the Laws of the State allow you to carry concealed in your vehicle, property, business without a permit.

Air is a bit thin, but you adjust to that! I like the place, I've made it my home for 27 years!

5. EM87

EM87

Thank you for the information. What neighborhoods would be good to rent in? Looking for something close to downtown but not too expensive and not in a bad (relatively speaking) area.

6. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I love Colorado Springs and if something ever happened to my job I would move there in a minute.

7. Booker

Booker

North of downtown has some very nice, top dollar, Victorians. They also have Frat houses from the college. A Realtor would be your best bet! I, personally, detest downtown, so much, that I moved my business from downtown several years ago.

I wouldn't live South of Garden of the Gods/Austin Pluffs Parkway.

Old Colorado City is close to downtown and has it's own little community spirit. It's on the West Side.

I would avoid areas around the Ft Carson Area, Being ex-Air Force, I'll start a flame war by saying I'd rather live in the city dump than around Army.:supergrin:

Manitou Springs is just west of the Springs and is a small tourist town. Loads of Artists and hippies, but a nice little town, esp in the Winter when the tourists have gone!

If you have $$$, then the Broadmoor and Kissing Camels areas will serve you well. East of Powers Blvd is generic, no personality at all. Just Big Box Stores and all of the typical sub division housing you see everywhere else.

If you're a rugged cowboy type, then you'll want to go West of the Springs or East out on the Plains.

If you move here, expect to do some driving! We have bus service but it sucks and I would ride it unless I was carrying an AR15 or AK47! Too many freaks and weirdoes.

North/South travel is fairly easy with the "I", Academy & Powers Blvds. East/West is a different storey, but we're working on it! Travel is easy if you remember that the Mountains are in the West!

We have an Airport, but many folks still travel to DIA in Denver.

Utilities are reasonable since we,the city, own the Utility Company. Gas is usually a little below National Average, but it can be miss leading since low grade is 85 octane and Premium is 91 octane!

We have Walmart! LOL

8. berto62

berto62

If you love Craft beers then Ashville is the place.They have been named Beer City USA four years in a row.

9. EM87

EM87

Booker- Great post! Just what I wanted to know. Thank you. I'll let you know if I end up out there!

Berto- I love craft beer!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  10. GAtkins

GAtkins CLM #58 CLM