close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tell me about Boulder Colorado

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tehan2, Apr 8, 2010.

1. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Ignoring Connecticut's Unconstitutional laws
    My wife has been offered a transfer and we're thinking of moving to the Boulder area. Tell me about the area. . . everything you think someone would want to know.

and if I was house shopping, where would I want to live within 1/2 hour of the city

Thanks

2. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

I honestly don't know much about it but I did have a friend that lived there. He showed me pictures and stuff and it looked amazing.
    He said there is lots of snow though if I remember correctly.
    From what I hear Colorado is a great place to live.

Sorry that I couldn't be much help though.

3. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Very expensive.

Very liberal.

Very, very bicycle friendly.

Lafayette, Longmont, Lousville, Broomfield or any of the NW metro burbs of Denver will be less expensive and less liberal.

4. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Nice old mining town full of cute girls that turned into lib-tard hell.

5. 380Seecamp

380Seecamp

6. Halojumper

Halojumper

If you're not a tree hugging, granola chomper, Golden or Broomfield might be more your style. Both are well within your 1/2 hour criteria. In fact, most of the metro Denver area would be on a good traffic day.

7. SailingBull

SailingBull

I went there with a my buddy and a couple of his friends over Txgiving weekend 13 years ago. Buddy's friend had to buy a new tee-shirt after his tie-dye attracted 3 different students asking to buy acid or exctasy...

From what I remember lots of hot, rich, spoiled, stupid whores. The area was absolutely beautiful. Their students (CU) were crazy... but not "throwing glass beer bottles at USAFA cadets at a football game crazy" like the CSU students...

8. MedicOni

MedicOni

I just moved to LAkewood (near Golden) and it's a nice place so far. I don't htink I'd wanna live in Boulder

9. chris in va

chris in va

I lived in Longmont as a kid, loved visiting Boulder every chance we got.

I wouldn't live in Boulder proper though. Huge college town and you'll get the neo-hippie ideas that go along with it. Great bicycle paths though, my favorite being the Boulder Creek trail. IIRC Boulder has over 300 days of sunshine. Simply gorgeous.

Get something in 4wd, preferably with a turbo for the altitude.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  10. bennwj

bennwj Command Sergeant Major (retired) Silver Member

Lafayette is a great place well within your 30 min criteria.

Boulder is a pretty cool place to visit. Everybody needs to see the Pearl Street Mall on a sunny saturday...when the hippies and street performers come out of the woodwork.

Lots of stuff to do there, but it is extremely liberal.....

11. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

If you're not single, don't be in boulder unchaperoned.

12. bennwj

Here are some hippies on Pearl Street next to the Court House.

[​IMG]

13. bennwj

If you go you HAVE to go to Luciles Creole Cafe for breakfast. Looks like a house, but has amazing Louisiana/southern food. Huge portions.

Try to ignore the gay pride flying from the gay and lesbian rights headquarters next door though.

14. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Ignoring Connecticut's Unconstitutional laws
    Thanks for the info guys. . .keep it coming

15. vart

vart

Was this him?

[​IMG]

16. djf

djf

I have lived in Longmont for my entire life.

Boulder is a great place to visit, get some good food, and participate in outdoor activities. Don't live there (unless you are a super rich hippy type). For starters, houses there are at least 2x more expensive than anywhere else in the area due to the no growth laws that prevent building in Boulder.

I would look at Lafayette, Louisville, or Broomfield. I would avoid Longmont unless you are fluent in spanish.

The only thing to know is that while Boulder is off the map Berkely, CA style liberal, anywhere in the Denver metro area is not far behind. That is one of the reasons why my wife and I are out of here as soon as I can afford it.

17. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Work in Boulder (my wife did) but live in Lafayette, Louisville, or Broomfield.

18. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Visited for a day in the summer a year or two ago. Nice, relaxing, has a river that runs through it, slow paced in the summer. Didn't look in to the politics etc. but seemed like a scenic place to live. I remember they have some pretty restrictive city codes to restrict building heights etc.

I wouldn't live in town as like others have said it's expensive, but a nice place. Just remember the politics, but who knows how many of those kids vote anyway.

19. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

My wife agrees with much that has been posted. She also grew up there... BUT did not "drink the kool-aid" :) Many stupid laws/rules.
    IF you decide to move there as said "get a bike" and act like you own the road... Like if the pickup hits you HE will get damage as you blast thru stop sign...

I can "hook you up" with a rental house for under a grand a month there... (with option to buy) It has new furnace but (IMO) substandard wiring. (house is 110v) As I do not live there I don't dare "update" it. (simple really) Nice LARGE and LONG back yard. Medical center block away, couple hospitals less then mile away, stores two blocks, schools close as well.
    FIL does not really want to sell but IMO he does NOT need bother of brainless renters.
    Forgot wife showed me the "Mork/Mindy house" and they have "traffic circles" that few understand. Regards snow. It often melts in days. You do NOT NEED 4wd/studs/etc unless you go into mountains (when they advise you not to) Then you NEED chains. Any fuel injected car/truck will work fine. (my MN stuff does) I have driven two pickups (89F-150 4.9 EFI, and 2003 F-150 crew 5.4 fuel injected, 2003 Buick,etc and they didn't get weak up there. Carberated stuff does need adjustments if you plan to move up there. (or its guttless)

20. bwphoto

bwphoto Lifetime Member

Cool town. You might really like Golden if the cost and liberal attitudes steer you away from Boulder. If you were to be commuting Golden-> Boulder, there's a relatively quiet stretch of highway (93) that avoids metro Denver. The front range is a really gorgeous place to live and if I didn't hate temps below 70 I'd probably be there instead of Arizona. Another good thing about Golden is that you're right at I-70 and "the mountains" so you can go get lost in the hills within 5 minutes of driving West.

Also, any interest in living in downtown Denver? It's a pretty nice, walkable city if you're into that kind of lifestyle.