Tell me about Barbour jackets

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Happy Hunting, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Happy Hunting

Happy Hunting

First off, this is the gift to me as of now for Christmas. http://www.barbour.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.view&ProductID=18646&FeatureId=541

It is the Barbour Gamefair jacket and it costs a pretty penny (about $400 with shipping).

Do any GT'ers enjoy the finer outdoor jackets like those made by Barbour and think they are worth the dough? I know my dad has had one for many years and loves it, and I really like the way they look and feel.

This also sets the budget for my gift, but jewelry is king (and wholesale in the family).

2. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

I have had two Barbour Border coats, so far. There isn't anything equal to them IMO.

You do need to re-proof them every few years. I have done it myself a couple of times, but it is really messy.

As long as you keep them waxed, they seem to last forever. My first one is almost 30 years old, and I only bought a second when they changed the way the linings attach. I bought a new old-style coat and a new lining, so I can interchange them. Both my old and new one are still worn regularly.

About the waxing, if you don't keep them well waxed, they develop wear points and holes in the fabric. My wife has one I gave her, but never wants it re-waxed. So hers has a few small holes worn at the stress points.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010

3. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

I will echo what BamaBud stated. I own some and wear them frequently. Mine fit well and do what they are tasked to do, not to mention, they look nice while doing it.
    On the other hand, they are old technology and pricey. As previously stated, they also require maintenance, and have a particular scent that my wife hates.
    YMMV

4. hoffy

hoffy

A lot of old time motorcyclists wear waxed jackets, Bellstaff I think is a popular one. Those waxed jackets do require up keep, but will last for years. I wouldn't hesitate if it meets your needs. I am relatively poor, but pony up for a high end motorcycle jackets, I ride for transport, and put a ton of miles on, and the better jackets just hold up better(in a crash too!), but I don't go waxed, road grime will quickly soil any jacket, and waxed ones shed this easier on furniture than textile ones. You get what you pay for most of the time......

5. johnd

johnd

They are the best all weather jacket you can get if you are outdoors/hunting/ motorcycling/ etc. I wore one all my life when motorcycling in Europe and other places. Have one here too but got it from Sportsmans Guide on a clearance sale they had for $45....love it. Its the same I remember all those years ago. Dont wear it much here in Florida unless it gets really cold here ( below 60F) so I keep it clean and in a plastic sleeve and it hasnt needed a rewaw yet.