close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tell me about AR10s

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by dscottw88, Nov 3, 2012.

1. dscottw88

dscottw88

I'm very much interested in getting an AR10. Although I consider myself rather experienced with AR15s, having owned several over the years, I'm extremely clueless when it comes to the AR10 platform. I've seen that there are some from CMMG, DPMS, Rock River, Armalite etc... And as usual, I want to get one without breaking the bank. So who offers the best bang for the buck? I like the idea of piecing it together (as I have done with my ar15s) so that I can customize the rifle to my liking, but I'm clueless as to who's uppers are interchangeable with others... Or are they all proprietary? On another note, Let's say I wanted to free float a barrel using a MI rail, would an AR15 rail be compatible or no? And not to add frustration, but I also own a FAL, therefore I have access to FAL magazines, and I was informed that certain 308 ARs accept FAL magazines. Are these reliable? Or would I be better off buying a lower that accepts the 308 Pmags?

2. Hedo1

Hedo1

I can't answer most of your questions but I have a DPMS LR-308. It has a 24" stainless steel barrel and accepts $22 Pmag's (20rd). It is a great platform. I put an adjustable stock on it and a badger latch. Scope is a Leupold VX3 6.5-20X. The rifle shoots MOA with handloads and will do close to that with Match factory ammo. About a $1200 rig before mods.

3. davsco

davsco

i have the same gun, with nightforce 5.5-22x56 scope. after i added a geisselle trigger, it shoots sub-moa all the way out to 600 yds, using Federal 168g gold medal match. i don't handload, at least yet.

4. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

My DPMS 308 B is a Sub MOA tackdriver as well. Especially with 168 Sierra Matchkings!

5. surf

surf

Only Armalite makes AR10's.

6. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I need a reeducation on the AR-10 and clones again. They have changed since I last look into them.

Mag compatibility is on the top of my list.
    The ability to buy multiple uppers is also high on the list.

7. JBnTX

JBnTX 2 Timothy 2:15

Correct!

I had one and it was a super accurate rifle.
    It was just too damned heavy, so I sold it for another Colt AR-15.

8. SLAMBERT

SLAMBERT

Armalite - Great - but $$$$$$$$$ (but they invented AR10) Cetme Battle Rifle - Cheap but most need work, rechambering, head spacing, barrel replacement ect. But if you can find a good one, they shoot really well too.

Attached Files:

• tn.jpg
      tn.jpg
      File size:
      24.5 KB
      Views:
  9. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

The current Armalite company has nothing to do with the original Armalite company that introduced the AR15 and AR10.

If you want a AR platform in .308, you should save up for a LaRue PredatAR .308.

CMMG and DPMS are not known for making great rifles. Rock River on the other hand make some nice rifles, if you don't have the cash for the LaRue, RRA is the way to go.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  10. SLAMBERT

SLAMBERT

No such thing as Mil-Spec AR10's. But Armalite has a couple NEW models that will use the CHEAPER Mags. As for upper's Armalite has every flavor u can imagine but are very pricey!! I bought the rifle, then a extra barrel (rifle gas tube) and cut it down to 16.1" and had a target crown put on it, if I want long range i change out the barrel?

Attached Files:

• AR10.jpg
      AR10.jpg
      File size:
      36.8 KB
      Views:
  11. johnson8861

johnson8861 Daddo Chomper

There are a few thing to watch for while buiding a 308 ar.
    First thing you should know whether it has an Armalite, or Dpms style barrel extension. The bolt you will need to use will need to correspond to this. I won't go in to great detail here, but there are several companies now that build great match grade rifles. JP, Larue, LMT, and KAC.

12. SLAMBERT

SLAMBERT

In 1995, former Army Ordnance officer Mark Westrom, owner of Eagle Arms, purchased the ArmaLite brand and the company became ArmaLite Inc. Shortly thereafter, ArmaLite Inc. introduced a completely new rifle, collectively known as the AR-10B rifle series. Notably, the AR-10B was not designed using the original AR-10 drawings from either ArmaLite or Artillerie Inrichtingen, but instead was based on the Colt AR-15A2, with parts scaled up or redesigned as needed to fire the 7.62x51mm NATO (.308 Winchester) cartridge. The AR-10B prototype was composed of individual sub-components tested on a special lower receiver made of two slabs of aluminum fitted to a Knights Armament Company SR-25 upper receiver assembly, and prototyped using computer analysis. The full prototype AR-10B was the first rifle off the production line.[49] Since 1995, the new ArmaLite company has also incorporated various other design and engineering improvements to the AR-10, including a newly designed steel magazine derived from the model used on the U.S. M14 rifle. The current ArmaLite AR-10 is offered in several versions including a A2 and A4 rifle or carbine with collapsible stock, a target model (AR-10T), a 'retro' AR-10B with Sudanese AR-10-style handguard and cocking lever (limited production) and one version chambered in 300 Remington SAUM. Current users include the Ontario Provincial Police Tactics and Rescue Unit.
    While ArmaLite Inc. holds a US trademark on the name "AR-10",[50] other rifle manufactures currently produce 7.62x51mm auto-loading rifles that are based generally on the AR-10 design: the DPMS LR-308, KAC SR-25, Rock River Arms LAR-8, American Spirit Arms ASA .308, Fulton Armory Titan, LWRC's R.E.P.R., LaRue Tactical's OBR, RND Manufacturing's "The Edge", the German Oberland Arms OA-10 and the Lewis Machine and Tool MWS. Sorry should have said perfected it?

13. TexasGlockster

TexasGlockster

As a teacher, this post stinks of Wikipedia. :p

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. RWBlue

Why and what mags does it use?

15. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

They are a work of art, and they take Pmags. I'd suggest the OBR or PredatOBR over the PredatAR, but they are in a whole 'nother price/quality range than the guns in the OP. They are the Ferrari of .308 gas guns. I am waiting on LaRue to build my 16" OBR7.62.

Of the guns in the OP, I really like the RRA except that it uses FAL mags. They are great shooters, and since the OP has FAL mags, probably a good option. The DPMS .308s that I have shot where decent shooters but They are kinda like Savage bolt guns IMO. accurate but lacking in the fit/finish department, they will take the Pmags/SR-25 mags. The old Armalites were great guns but I have no idea about the new "Armalite". CMMG is generally junk.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  16. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

I've had an Armalite AR-10T for about 12 years, and it's a relaible tack driver. Heavy as heck, and doesn't balance like an M1A, but has been 100% for me. I picked up several mags for it a long time ago, so ain't worried about getting more, just gotta' double check that I don't have an M1A mag mixed up with the AR-10 units. If I had to choose between the AR-10 and M1A....guess I'd pick the M1A as I like wood.....no pun intended. :supergrin:

17. Tombstone

Tombstone

I ordered a Rock River Arms AR in .308 last week, the Tactical Operator. Store owner said to expect a 4 month wait. I currently have an AR15 but this will be my first in .308. I also have a CETME and a FAL. Having the FAL is one of the reasons I went with the RRA as it is advertised as using both inch and metric FAL mags. I have a "few" of those so I'm hoping for the best!

I'm now trying to decide what to do about optics. Ideas?

18. Travclem

Budget?

I am putting a Nightforce NSX 3.5-15X50 F1 on my LaRue. A lower budget scope that some argue is just as good an options the Bushnell HDMR with the Horus reticle . Don't jump on me for saying Bushnell, Research this scope, it is supposed to be a winner. Then there is always the good old Leupold MK4.

19. RWBlue

What kind of shooting?

Although you may not be competing...Bench? 3gun? hunting longer ranges? Hunting in the bushes?

Are you a fan of pushing the scope out for a scout scope idea or up close with traditional placement?

BTW, Spend the money for the LaRue scope mounts. I have several of them. I am very impressed with they ability to be taken off and remounted for the same POI.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  20. Travclem

The RRA isn't monolithic, I personally wouldn't do a scout scope.