Tell me about 5.11 tactical

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by rolltide_pisco, Feb 26, 2013.

Tags:
  1. rolltide_pisco

rolltide_pisco

We are selling their flashlights at work. I checked out their website and they carry alot of stuff. Some of their shorts look cool. I just don't know enough about them.

Bad reviews on their flashlight holsters. I'm considering carrying a small one. Do y'all know anything about them?

2. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

I wear their boots. Like em

3. akgunnut

akgunnut

I am a sucker for 5.11 gear. I wear the Taclite Pro pants when I go out along with their Winter Taclite boots which keep my feet warm during the long winters. I also have the 5-in-1 jacket which does an excellent job at keeping me warm. I have the 5.11 LBE vest and chest rig as well. They had a deal going on where if you buy two pairs of the Taclite Pro pants you get a free ATAC A1 flashlight, which for a freebie is a nice little EDC flashlight and I use it as part of my EDC system. All the 5.11 stuff I have tried has held up nicely.

4. jeager

jeager

believe spinoff Royal Robbins outdoor wear modesto, ca.
    good quality ripstop pants. some fabric on early conceal carry shirts fray early.
    both found at local thrift shops as irregulars
    Supporters BSA

Caver 60 likes this.
  5. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

I wear their tactical vests almost every day...good quality.

I tried their belts once...really suck. Back to my Beltman.

6. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Guaranteed way to get ID'd as a cop - or a whacker. If you're wearing 5.11, you're one or the other.

I have a lot of 5.11 stuff. It only gets worn at work. That might be training, regular shift, or off duty. But, it is NEVER off duty. Never.

Did I mention I NEVER wear 5.11 off duty?

7. PaulMason

PaulMason

They have some good stuff but the prices seem high to me. Wait for sales if you want to buy.

I subscribe to LAPoliceGear.com and wait for sales.

NW IL River Rat and jimcorbin like this.
  8. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

It's 10% better than anything from 5.10 tactical. (Or is it .1% better? LOL)

Their stuff is decent. I don't wear a ton of it. I like their all-cotton cargo and covert-cargo pants. They fit well. I dislike their poly/cotton stuff b/c I hate poly/cotton stuff. It's like wearing Tyvek - there is NO give to the fabric.

They make a decent covert blue jean jacket. I don't wear one, but a buddy does - looks like a Levi's. He carrys a metric ton of crap in his.

If they could only get that stupid strap off the back of their regular line pants, they'd be in business. I get the nostalgic reason for it, but it's stupid and annoying.

And if you wear their regular line out-of-doors, you better wear the black baseball cap and dark sunglasses. Do a lot of blading. LOL

glock collector likes this.
  9. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Really depends on your location. I could wear that stuff all day here, the only people who would have any idea are hard core cops. Even "regular" cops (here) sometimes don't pick up on those cues...but then again, in one agency for example, I have seen only one cop out of 3-4 dozen that ever wore a vest while in full uniform, riding on /about public transport and in about the Port Authority transport nodes (train stations and airports).

I have 5.11 pants and belt that are reserved exclusively for when I am training, or teaching gun related stuff. Every single piece of training gear I've ever received (hats, pins, challenge coins, polo shirts, patches) is in a drawer somewhere that only see the light of day when I am giving em away.

10. kingdong

kingdong

Prices are high. Their clothing is okay, but I'm not a big fan of their gear. Personally, I think they slap their name on imported junk in an attempt to make money on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

11. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I like their trousers and shirts but their shorts seem a little short to me.
    The waist band they use is great in my opinion.

12. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

I tried the 5.11 pants but am not a big fan.

When training dogs, I need lotsa pocket room for rewards, and the 5.11 just dont cut it.

Even the front pockets lack toom, it is hard to carry my XDS pocket holster in them.

I prefer the propper pants over 5.11's any day.

13. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

14. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

You pocket carry an XDS? Wow. I find it too heavy to bother.

15. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Every day, Dennis. I love the little guy.

Having a .45 ACP in your pocket is comforting, much more so than my old KelTec .380

:supergrin:

16. Hawkwood

Hawkwood

I've worn their pants, shirts and vest for years, and have been very impressed with their durability. I've worn them on four continents and in some very interesting places - including the gold and spice markets of Dubai, the wadis of southern Jordan while on the back of a camel, and in the sand dunes of the Arabian Peninsula while testing military hardware for a client. The only drawback is that yes, it does peg you immediately as "one of those guys." But most people are not paying attention to your pants.

17. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

+100000

18. SiberianErik

SiberianErik

This, I have just about all their stuff (dealers wholesale price :cool:) and I wear the pants/shirts at work but other than that I only wear the nice plaid short sleeve shirts as cover shirts over a polo. They are excellent for hiding my 1911 Govt as they have a strong plaid print to break up any printing and even rip stops you can keep open for a faster draw.

ProTip> For you gun shop guys that carry 5.11 please do the 5.11 training on 3point5 !!! once get your sales certification you can order up to a $1K for personal use p/yr. The price is 75% off retail .

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  19. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

Not a cop or a whacker. I wear the pants every day. Very comfortable. The general public doesn't know or care. They look like any other brand of cargo pants. I can easily pocket carry my CM9. Did I mention very comfortable? :tongueout:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  20. RCP

RCP

Their pants look good but I've never been able to bring myself to pay the money they're asking for them. For cargo pants I usually wear the Wrangler brand ripstop ones you can get at Target for $18.99.:supergrin:

BTW- what is a "wacker"?:dunno: