Telescope thread

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Kevinr20, May 28, 2020.

1. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

After many years of occasionally thinking about buying a telescope, I finally decided to pull the trigger. I had small scopes as kid and was always fascinated by seeing the moons of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn -- but that was just through a cheap, small aperture scope.

So I bought this: (second picture isn't mine but i included it for a size reference)
    zhu-zhue023-1-2.jpg
    post-18917-14072971673875_thumb.jpg

Zhumell Z8 8 inch dobsonian. It's pretty big. Stands over 51 inches when it's fully upright. It's not computerized or motorized.. I didn't want to deal with that. Just good, old-fashioned, manual star gazing.

Anyways, I bought a mount that mounts your phone to the eyepiece to take pictures. I got some decent photos of the moon last night. Tomorrow night, I'm gonna stay up late to get some good views of Jupiter and Saturn (they're not visible until after midnight right now) and can't wait to see how they look through this giant scope. Is anyone else into astronomy?

20200528_092651.jpg 20200528_092627.jpg 20200528_092611.jpg 20200527_231952.jpg 20200527_204648.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  2. Detectorist

Detectorist

I thought I saw someone out there waving back at you.

The photos look nice and sharp.

spork and Kevinr20 like this.

3. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

Congrats! I've looked at that same scope many times as I've seen in highly recommended on Astronomy sites. I keep wondering if I'll really use it enough to make it worthwhile for me.

I hope you get lots of use and fun out of it.

Rotn1 and Kevinr20 like this.
  4. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Nice photos. I look forward to the next ones. How's the light pollution where you are? I'd never get dark skies at my house. I'd have to travel.

Kevinr20 likes this.
  5. peng

peng

Can you see Uranus with that thing?

Ross-in-Pa, ScottMn, Rotn1 and 3 others like this.
  6. syntaxerrorsix

...and just like that we are 10 years old again :supergrin:

7. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

It's pretty bad where I am. In the middle of the Phoenix metropolitan area. To get darker skies, I can drive about 45 minutes to an hour which I might do tomorrow night to see the planets.

Rotn1 and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  8. syntaxerrorsix

My Dad built his own little observatory with a retractable domed roof and all. His telescope is about that size but it's all automated. I don't remember what was holding him up at last visit but it wasn't 100%, something about running power from the house if I recall. Neat stuff.

Rotn1 and Kevinr20 like this.
  9. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

That's exactly why it took me so long to finally get one. But my son's getting old enough now we're he'll enjoy using it with me. I know there will be periods where I don't use it a whole lot but it'll be there when I get the itch.

DocCasualty and Rotn1 like this.
  10. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

11. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Ha-Ha...and when you stop laughing at it, yer way too mature.

12. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

Dang, I just looked that bad boy up and it's no frickin' joke!! Expensive unit, but it looks to be worth every penny!

Enjoy!

Ramjet38 and Kevinr20 like this.
  13. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

After a lot of research, I determined this scope was the best bang for my buck. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that would drive the price up into the thousands but it's got a great balance of useful features in a large scope for a decent price of $450. I also had to buy eyepieces. Those can get extremely expensive but i went with a budget set on Amazon that had good reviews. It's listed at $127 now but it was $115 a few weeks ago when I ordered it. Maybe one day I'll find a reason to spend hundreds of dollars on one or two eyepieces but for now, these eyepieces work just fine for me.

20200528_104246.jpg

14. jmohme

jmohme

Those are nice scopes and 8 inch is a good size. Large enough to have decent light grasp but still small enough to be easily transportable.

What eyepieces did you get?

Jupiter is my favorite planet to view through my scope. Saturn is cool, but I just love the dance of Jupiters moons.

8 inch is good enough for deep sky too. The Orion nebula is an easy target and shows up well in an 8 inch scope. It won't be bright enough to photograph though. Not without and equatorial mount and motorized tracking.

I have an event in Santa Fe in July and will be camping out for a month. I am bringing mine with me!

15. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

Thanks. I think i got the balance i was looking for regarding aperture vs size and weight of the telescope. 8 inch seems to be perfect for me. See my post above for eyepieces. They're budget pieces and surely any advanced astronomer would laugh at them but i like them so far.

What scope do you have?

16. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Very very nice! Enjoy and document all UFO's that you see.

FullClip and Kevinr20 like this.
  17. Sgt127

Sgt127

I’ve played with telescopes. I love looking into the skies.

This is fascinating.

https://vaonis.com/

But, I’m a little tossed. “You” are not actually looking at anything. But, the images it produces are beyond stunning.

Kevinr20 likes this.
  18. jmohme

jmohme

I looked up that set. I am not familiar with the brand, but it looks like nice assortment of eyepieces.
    My most often used eyepieces are 26 and 40mm. The higher power eyepieces can be a bit challenging to use due to the short eye relief. I find it easier to use the lower powered ones with a Barlow, but there is some sacrifice in image quality with that so it is still good to have the 6mm around.

I have a Meade LX200 also in 8 inch.
    I previously had a 10 inch LX200 but lost it in a house fire. I really liked the additional light grasp and resolution of the 10, but it was quite a lot for one person to set up and I downsized for that reason when I replaced it.

Kevinr20 likes this.
  19. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

Yeah i haven't even tried to use the 6mm yet. Those moon photos were with a variety of 40mm with 2x barlow, 20mm without the barlow and 20mm with barlow. I imagine I'll at least try out the 6mm on jupiter but i don't see myself using it a whole lot.

You have one nice scope. Pricey :highfive:

20. jmohme

jmohme

It is really nice to have high power eyepieces. Just be patient with it and it will probably amaze you what you can resolve with it.
    Keep in mind that any vibration is going to be exaggerated through the eyepiece at those magnifications. It can be really frustrating, but I have no doubt you will learn to work with it.