close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Teeth grinders.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by heyTJ, Feb 5, 2010.

1. heyTJ

heyTJ Giddy up!

Any night time teeth grinders in here?
    My dentist informed me not only do I need a night guard for my grinding, but I'll need 3 crowns too.
    The guard is not covered by my insurance and the dentist will charge me $875.00!!!!
    He said they need to fit it to my mouth or it won't work.
    Does anyone have any experience with these night guards?
    Thank you,

TJ

2. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

There was a couple of recent threads on this. Myself and Mrs V R both are teeth grinders, sadly.

Buy the teeth guard, trust me. It'll save you a lot of money down the road.

See if you can shop around though, for the teeth guard. There are many different styles. Call different dentists and see if they have anything cheaper.

And don't buy the cheap stuff in the stores, it will do more harm than good.

Links to recent threads:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1166289

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1108596

Dr Oz show: http://www.dentalimplantdentistrybl...vastating-consequences-of-teeth-grinding.html

good luck.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010

3. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus Silver Member

I used a regular mouth guard for years, got tired of the white spit tracks when I woke up. It did help with the abrasion and the headaches/jaw aches.

Sorry about the dental work, that sucks! I grind, hold my breath, and groan too. I'm loads of fun to sleep next to.

4. alabaster

alabaster Swollen Member

Dood, you can buy a cheap plastic one used for sparring. Much less expensive and works as well IMO. I actually gnawed my tongue to the point of bleeding. How effed up is that?!

5. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

Worst advice ever. These are not designed for grinders. It will make the problem much worse.

6. Kith

Kith

I grind my teeth a lot, not just at night.

Never used a mouth guard, but my mother does and they did have to mold it to her mouth. She said it was a little uncomfortable to get used to at first, but after a few weeks it was just normal.

She says that it has helped her a lot, her jaw isn't really sore when she wakes up in the morning, and the dental visits haven't been bad since she's been using it.

I've come to terms with the damage done while grinding. It just can't be helped.

If you can use the mouth guard, i'd recommend going for it. The dental bills will be less over time.

I'd also recommend getting the crowns, because the grinding seriously damages your teeth and next thing you know you'll bite a piece of cheese (no lie) and break a tooth.

7. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

Mine cost $150.00. It's acrylic and made to fit my mouth by the dentist. I chew right through the plastic athletic guards. It's well worth the expense. I had a lot of work done in my mouth due to the damage caused by night grinding.

8. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I had one of the acrylic ones that your dentist wants to sell you. I think my insurance covered 50% so I had to shell out like $400 for it. It broke within a year and they wouldn't replace it even though they said it should last me several years. I went to CVS or Walgreen's and bought The Doctor's Night Guard for ~$30 and have had it for about 2 years now without a single issue.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/cata...prod3908900&navCount=0&navAction=push-product

The price is even lower now at $20. Try this out before dropping $800.

Greg

9. vafish

vafish

I was told by my dentist I should get a night guard when I cracked a tooth about 6 years ago.

I didn't get one.

Now in the past year I've cracked another tooth so bad it had to be extracted and replaced with an implant and the original tooth that cracked and was crowned broke off below the gum line and had to be extracted and is being replaced with an implant.

The implants are costing me about $3,000 each.

If you know you grind your teeth, get the night guard. It will save you a lot of trouble later on.

But his price does seem awful high. My first night guard was mostly covered by insurance. I left it out on the counter and the damn dog ate it. I had to buy the 2nd oun out of pocket and it was around $450.

10. geronimo509

geronimo509

I need to find one for $150. I chew through athletic ones too and have had a lot of work done on broken teeth, cavities because of the small cracks, and even had the last teeth on the top removed.

Again, I hope I can find one for $150

11. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

It's difficult to compare dentists' fees for night guards for a couple of reasons. First, there are different types of night guards. And, within those different types of night guards, there are different types of patients whose needs can vary widely. Fitting a night guard for one patient may take 30 minutes. Another patient may take multiple visits to get it adjusted properly.

Furthermore, fees for the same service can vary widely depending on where you live. Fees in Newport Beach, California are going to be higher than the fees in Chickenpoot, Kentucky.

Night guards, as well as all other dental services, are not a commodity. It's a service.

Another analogy would be legal services. If one of us asked what everyone here paid for a lawyer to draw up a will, we'd get a wide variety of numbers and answers. My will may be more complicated than your will. Some would even say skip the lawyer and do it online or with software available at Office Depot. For someone with an extensive financial portfolio, the Office Depot software could be a BIG mistake. Likewise, someone whose estate consists of a beater car and a savings account with $50 probably doesn't need a hotshot attorney.

Finally, I'll say that health care, including dentistry, isn't something you necessarily want to shop for the cheapest price.

12. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Use Novocaine or something like that in your jaw before you go to sleep... no grinding! :supergrin:

13. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

Those will make the problem worse. It's because they're softer and more "chewy", making you sub-consciously want to chew even more, aggravating the grinding problem in the long run.

14. heyTJ

heyTJ Giddy up!

Great info!!
    Thanks peeps!

TJ

15. geronimo509

geronimo509

I wake up every morning with a tension headache from grinding and clenching my teeth. When I went on a golf vacation we drank a lot. I was so drunk for 5 days straight that I must have passed out with my mouth open and I did not wake up with a headache once.

Moral of the story, get drunk every night before bed and you probably won't grind/clench your teeth.

16. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Check this out: http://www.headacheprevention.com/