Teen sentenced to 9 months in traffic crash that killed sheriff's captain

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by fla2760, Nov 10, 2010.

1. fla2760

fla2760

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. MASIG

MASIG

Ah, I understand that the kid was not on drugs/alcohol but that he took his mom's car without permission. I also understand that his parent's called the cops as soon as they saw car was gone. Seems like kid took car and accidentally crossed double yellow. Also it seems that it was the prosecution who offered the deal the kid accepted against the advice of his own counsel who thought he could get kid off without jail time. Was the kid driving recklessly or speeding? Why did he cross double yellow? Why did the prosecution offer deal it did? Hard to say kid got off lightly unless all the facts are known . . .

3. Fireplug

Fireplug

There are no questions in my opinion!! He stole the car and killed a cop. The deal was BS unless the prosecutor was a putz, screwed up the case and the kid would have got off.

I will give the kid credit for taking the deal and not trying to get off with no jail time.

4. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

They ought to see if there is a way to put that kid in the Army or better yet encourage him to join the French Foreign Legion after his time is up. He needs to grow up.

5. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

The kid made a mistake and over all it's a sad story.
    I don't think he knew the other vehicle was a cop and I am sure he did not want to kill anyone. I would like to know what the family of the kill captain thinks of this plea?
    The insurance of cause sucks.

6. Brucev

Brucev

Didn't read the story. No point. Extremely sorry the officer was killed. Had family member killed severely injured in similar type accident. Other driver was fireman. Treat this boy the exact same way he would be treated in the deceased was any citizen, officer or not. No reason he should be treated any less or more leniently. The grand theft business was bull. No different than if any child took a parents vehicle without first asking. Plea bargain was good for all. Very much sorry at death of officer. Not understand what insurance case about. All policies have limits. If family of deceased can win, excellent. Need to sue boy. He is responsible, not the parents.

7. fla2760

fla2760

Marc from what I know they were ok with it, this is from the story.

"The Bierwiler family, to their credit, has shown a tremendous amount of compassion … and that's why it was resolved in the fashion that it was," Magrino said.