close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Teddy Roosevelt

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by BruderGlock, Feb 15, 2005.

1. BruderGlock

BruderGlock

I'm seeking opinions on books about Teddy Roosevelt. It appears that a number of books have been written about him and by him. What is a good "starter" book for this subject? I've read good reviews on "Theodore Rex" by Edmund Morris. What do you think?

2. RBR

RBR

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by EDMUND MORRIS covers his life before becoming president. An excellent biography and won the Pulitzer prize. TR led quite an interesting life. Theodore Rex covers his presidency and a good book also. I would try to read them in order.

3. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

I have this one in my library. Read it about 5 years ago, a long read but it is very comprehensive. You can read about it on Barnes and Nobles webpage.

Theodore Roosevelt: by Nathan Miller;P

4. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Theodore Rex and the one before it were excellent.

5. Historian

Historian NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

This book amazed me...after reading it I almost quit my job to go back to school for a PHD in history. TR was one of the most amazing and far sighted (pun intended) men in our nation's history.

Side note. I'm really glad I found this forum. It sounds like there are some people really interested in history books.

6. BruderGlock

BruderGlock

RBR – I took your advise on the Edmund Morris books. I’m well into THE RISE OF THEODORE ROOSEVELT, and am really enjoying it. TR is now enforcing the Sunday Excise Law – busting the saloons in NYC that engage in “…the sale of intoxicating liquors…on the Sabbath.” The guy definitely kept busy, what with the ranch, the civil service commission, the police commission, and all. THEODORE REX is on deck, and according to the author notes, a third book is in the works to complete the trilogy. Thanks to all for your responses to my inquiry.

7. RBR

RBR

Glad your enjoying the book.

I've always thought this quote of his was good.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." TR

8. NitLion

NitLion

That sounds a lot like this quote:

The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes, because they attempt nothing. Down in the arena are the doers. They make mistakes because they attempt many things. The person who makes no mistakes lacks boldness and the spirit of adventure. He is the one who never, never tries anything new. He is the brake on the wheel of progress. The very fact that he tries nothing, takes no chances, does nothing except criticize those who try is, perhaps, the biggest possible error in a life-time."
    - Anonymous

As you can see.... this one is attributed to anonymous. Another famous TR quote:

It is only through labor and prayerful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things in life… Speak softly but carry a big stick.."

9. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

If you read Morris's books on TR, make sure you read TR's autobiography. Also there is another book that is compilation of TR's letters to his children. It is a very good insight into this amazing man.

10. armybass

armybass VCDL

Morris' book on TR is a fine read but I was not as fond of his Reagan bio "Dutch" where he injected himself as a character into the book and speculated on Pres Reagan's thoughts. The Teddy books are very well done though.