Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the "Now You're Talking! All You Need to Get Your First Amateur Radio License, Fifth Edition (Paperback)" book.

I see it has been preseded by "Arrl Ham Radio License Manual: All You Need to Become an Amateur Radio Operator (Arrl Ham Radio License Manual) (Paperback)"

How different are they?
Do I need the new book to take the test?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have the "Now You're Talking! All You Need to Get Your First Amateur Radio License, Fifth Edition (Paperback)" book.

I see it has been preseded by "Arrl Ham Radio License Manual: All You Need to Become an Amateur Radio Operator (Arrl Ham Radio License Manual) (Paperback)"

How different are they?
Do I need the new book to take the test?
My opinion... and I have "made" a few hams in my day... Is to read Now You're Talking. It's a great book to get background. You might use it as a reference when you're getting started. The ARRL Operating Manual is nice, but overkill at this point. Short answer to your question -- No, you don't need a new book if you go to step two (next paragraph).

Then go sign up at HamTestOnline. You get a 2-year subscription and the ability to work through all tests, including General and Extra. I am trying to "entice" my wife to use it right now, but one of my friends just passed their Technician after studying on that site an hour a day for a week.

There are other free test sites, but HTO has worked for a half dozen of my like-minded friends. I highly encourage you to give it a test drive.

PS, Glad to see you taking the step RWB.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the book. I only want to take the test once.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I bought the book. I only want to take the test once.
My suggestion is take lots of practice tests then.

If you plan on learning all the material first (theories, etc), set aside a few months to learn up on radio theory, the FCC rule book, etc. You can go much more quickly by reading the Now You're Talking! book and taking practice exams. I have known a dozen or more use this method to pass within a couple of weeks or less.

The test is $14 and some places let you take it twice if you fail the first.

Fortunately, no one keeps records, so you can go out and fail it all over town. :)

The free test sites are great, I just prefer a site with some intelligence and focuses on your weak areas, that's why I recommend HamTestOnline. No, I'm not a paid spokesperson :tongueout:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I just picked up on one thing.. You bought the ARRL book. Be aware there are two Volunteer Examiner Coordinators (VEC) - the ARRL and W5YI Group.

Their tests have to cover the FCC-required information, but the verbiage is slightly different. Many find the W5YI tests a little easier but there's a strong following of ARRL tests, too. You find both in most regions.

Around my area, W5YI tests are very common. Many people are accredited examiners in both W5YI and ARRL.

Make sure you know which one you'll go take, because studying the question pool for one and taking the test of another pool has been known to throw people off!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just picked up on one thing.. You bought the ARRL book. Be aware there are two Volunteer Examiner Coordinators (VEC) - the ARRL and W5YI Group.

Their tests have to cover the FCC-required information, but the verbiage is slightly different. Many find the W5YI tests a little easier but there's a strong following of ARRL tests, too. You find both in most regions.

Around my area, W5YI tests are very common. Many people are accredited examiners in both W5YI and ARRL.

Make sure you know which one you'll go take, because studying the question pool for one and taking the test of another pool has been known to throw people off!

The FCC promogates the test pool. The pool questions are the same no matter who gives the test. The only thing that can be changed is the order of the answers. So do not concentrage on "C" as the answer, but rather on the wording of the actual answer.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The FCC promogates the test pool. The pool questions are the same no matter who gives the test. The only thing that can be changed is the order of the answers. So do not concentrage on "C" as the answer, but rather on the wording of the actual answer.
I actually had a guy do this!!! He couldn't understand how he failed the test. He showed us in his book that his answers were right :animlol:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I actually had a guy do this!!! He couldn't understand how he failed the test. He showed us in his book that his answers were right :animlol:
Wow! I have heard of people doing it on other tests, but not the ham test!

I'm giving 5 tests this Saturday... I'll remind my candidates of that :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are , I think 14 VEC's, I used to be a VE for WCARS, which is a good VEC and fast on getting results in and your callsign given. They all use the same question pool but may use their program for printing out tests, which may be different than another VEC. Each VE team does keep their own records. But thats not to say you can't go from one site to the other and test. If you do fail by some chance most teams will let you take another exam, but will probably charge another fee. But you should have no trouble passing the Tech exam with some studying. Also when you pass your Tech, next exam is free, so you just as well give the General a shot.

ARRL VE

·
Registered
12,816 Posts
Most people I know who are wanting to get or upgrade their license spend a lot of time taking the practice tests here.

http://www.qrz.com/xtest2.html

That site is free and you can take the tests as many times as you want...

Good Luck,

dd

Interesting.

I took the first five of those exams and averaged 88% for the Technician class. I studied for a license in high school 30 years ago, but the Marines put an end to that.

Perhaps I might go and test to see if I can get a license.

·
Registered
12,816 Posts
Well, I found a local VEC and am scheduled to take the Technician test, but one thing on the Form 605 bothers me. Why does the FCC need my SSN for a Debt Collection Act of 1996? The form is submitted to ARRL and they do not have authority to demand this information.

Feedback?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well, I found a local VEC and am scheduled to take the Technician test, but one thing on the Form 605 bothers me. Why does the FCC need my SSN for a Debt Collection Act of 1996? The form is submitted to ARRL and they do not have authority to demand this information.

Feedback?
The information including ssn is transmitted to the FCC. The 605 is a FCC form.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

Feedback?
This is an FCC requirement, not a requirement of the VEC. As stated by another poster, Form 605 is an official government form. If you don't want to put a SSN, you will need a Taxpayer ID Number (TIN).

Also, you mentioned you found a VEC. I think you meant to say you found a "VE team." VE's are the ones who administer the tests...

(Extra-class test question)

·
Registered
12,816 Posts
This is an FCC requirement, not a requirement of the VEC. As stated by another poster, Form 605 is an official government form. If you don't want to put a SSN, you will need a Taxpayer ID Number (TIN).

Also, you mentioned you found a VEC. I think you meant to say you found a "VE team." VE's are the ones who administer the tests...

(Extra-class test question)

Thanks for the corrected information.. The 605 form that I referenced specifically said that it was an ARRL form and not an FCC form [NCVEC 605].

Neither ARRL or FCC need my SSN, so it looks like I won't be joining you. Thanks anyhow.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Neither ARRL or FCC need my SSN, so it looks like I won't be joining you. Thanks anyhow.
You're right, they don't need it... But you and I both know, Uncle Sam already has it, probably all the credit bureaus, and others. I can completely understand with your position of not wanting to give it out.

I forgot there is a way around it using a FCC Record Number. To obtain a Federal Registration Number, go to WWW.FCC.GOV and click on CORES in the left column. Follow the direction to obtain your FRN. Be sure you have it in your possession before attending a test session.

Oh, by the way, what is your social security number? :whistling:

·
Registered
12,816 Posts
You're right, they don't need it... But you and I both know, Uncle Sam already has it, probably all the credit bureaus, and others. I can completely understand with your position of not wanting to give it out.

I forgot there is a way around it using a FCC Record Number. To obtain a Federal Registration Number, go to WWW.FCC.GOV and click on CORES in the left column. Follow the direction to obtain your FRN. Be sure you have it in your possession before attending a test session.

Oh, by the way, what is your social security number? :whistling:

In late 1987 and before all the laws got passed, I was the victim of ID Theft. I couldn't get my FICO scores or credit reports. Law enforcement wouldn't take a report [I was a cop at the time], and no one wanted to help. As a result of having to do months of work, I am paranoid about giving out a SSN number to anyone other than the SSA and the IRS.

Thanks for finding a way for me to get a FCC record number! I appreciate it greatly.

My SSN? 457-55-5462 and my name is Todd Davis.

·
1,490 Posts
I'll second the recommendation of qrz.com's testing online. The practice tests are a good indicator of your readiness.

Also I just sent inmy paperwork to the ARRLVEC for certification as a General VE. Now if only I could get someone in either local club, to contact me regarding observing their next test sessions, I would be happy! :upeyes:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I got my ticket by using the qrz tests. I just went through them over and over until I learned all the answers. It worked great (I usually have a good memory) and I got my tech license but...

I really didn't learn the stuff. As soon as I started talking to other hams, I knew I was deficient in basic ham radio knowledge. So when I went for my general, I ordered the book, studied it and actually learned it. I know it would take a little longer to actually learn the tech questions rather than just memorize answers, but in my opinion, that's the better way to go.

YMMV. And good luck whichever route you take.

73's,
Rick

1 - 20 of 24 Posts