Glock Talk banner

Teaching my wife how to drive a manual.

1186 Views 15 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  rotorhead1026
It’s a 2012 Corolla L with 70k miles. She’s good at getting it going in parking lot practice, but on the road she starts overthinking too much. It was her first road drive yesterday, so I think she did great. A little harsh on the clutch and bad timing shifting thru the gears. With more practice, I think she is going to make me drive the RAV4 to work and steal the Corolla.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,545 Posts
Tried it. Things went OK until it came time to downshift going up a hill. The result was screaming, yelling, and tears (all on her part, I TRIED to remain calm and teach) followed by her getting out of the truck and walking home. Never tried to convince her again.

· Registered
3,984 Posts
I made the mistake of trying to teach my wife when she was 7 months pregnant. Her poor little feeties could barely touch all the pedals from the seat being so far back. Needless to say, it did not go well.

I am paying for that to this day. All I can buy is boring automatics. At least my Soul has the + - shifter dealy, so when I feel frisky I can do some "manual" shifting. Still sucks, just not as bad.

Reactions: -JCN-

· Registered
45,276 Posts
Few of us were an overnight success.

Many women in my family like manuals. They will become proficient with practice.

Some of my girls even like 4 X 4 manuals. They have been teaching their daughters also.

· Registered
1,320 Posts
Tried it "once" too.... Never made it out of the big, empty parking lot we were in.

She was a good sport about it though. We both never laughed so hard. It was a VW Rabbit, and believe me, it was hopping like one!

IV

· Registered
45,276 Posts
My wife is 5'2" and the clutch spring in the Ram Charger was just too much for her, both length of throw and force required.

But, she has had VW's, Subaru Brat was her real love, and other manuals. Age finally pushed her to Automatics.

She'll be fine.

· Registered
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Few of us were an overnight success.

Many women in my family like manuals. They will become proficient with practice.

Some of my girls even like 4 X 4 manuals. They have been teaching their daughters also.
I’m hoping my 4 yo daughter likes the truck im saving for her. It maybe not a girl thing. If not I hoping a son will come along.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Pickup truck

· Registered
45,276 Posts

· GTDS Member #49
10,103 Posts
Had a gal all of 5' tall and 100 pounds drive my KW with an 18 speed several times when I was not able to be on the job.

Reactions: janice6

· Wut?
2,630 Posts
My 5'3", 110lb, 65 year old wife has been driving standards since she was a teenager, and she still loves them. We have 3 vehicles, 2017 Wrangler, 2017 Cherokee, and 2006 PT Cruiser and 2 of them are standards. The 25 year old guy who sold us the Jeeps last year couldn't even drive the Wrangler. Wuss.

· Values. Can't be bought.
16,200 Posts
Tried it. Things went OK until it came time to downshift going up a hill. The result was screaming, yelling, and tears (all on her part, I TRIED to remain calm and teach) followed by her getting out of the truck and walking home. Never tried to convince her again.
I'm surprised. I thought getting going from a stop was 90% of it. I learned a clutch on my brother's Honda 450 in 1970. Drove it up the driveway in 1st gear and rolled back. Time after time. Got in a car and did it right away.
It seems better to have a teacher you are not emotionally involved with. My high school friiend, a girl, asked me to teach her in 1972. Her dad was at his wit's end. He tossed me the keys. I taught her to get the VW Beetle rolling without using any gas. That gave her the sense of the touch on the clutch. It was easy after that. I was her dad's hero for a while.

· Registered
1,691 Posts
My wife, as a teenager, actually taught herself. The only car available was a manual (a Ford Cortina!), so she got in and drove off, alone. Of course, she had seen others do it.

All three kids can shift. My daughter usually drove my truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.