Teaching a couple new shooters

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nam02G, Jun 6, 2020.

1. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

In about an hour I'll be meeting up with some friends to teach them to shoot. The older of the two is about 55 and has never shot a gun before. He was one of the people that decided to buy a gun due to COVID-19. The other is his 19 year old step-son. I don't know if the 19 y/o has ever shot before. Since my friends guns are .22s we'll be sticking with that caliber. When my friend found out about my firearms experience he asked me to teach him to shoot. Which I support. First thing I'll do is drill the four primary rules into them.

2. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Expect the Unexpected.

I am hoping you have some Range Officer experience...

Be Safe, Be Vigilant!
    :waving:

Caver 60 and Inyo Tim like this.

3. oldmick

oldmick

That’s what I’d do.

then determine eye dominance

then a little nomenclature

Then grip, posture, sight alignment, sight picture.

Then load / unload

then fire one round

Caver 60, Inyo Tim and nam02G like this.
  4. oldmick

oldmick

(Sorry double tap) :)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  5. nam02G

Shot IPSC for about 16 years. Started RO'ing about my fifth match. Took several courses on it over the years. I've taught new shooters before. I know the 19 y/o is teachable. I've worked with him before on archery. The 55 y/o is intelligent and inquisitive so he should be okay too.

Pierre!, Caver 60 and Inyo Tim like this.
  6. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

First thing I'll do is drill the four primary rules into them.

^^ This was the first thing I thought reading your first and second sentences. tom. :thumbsup:

Inyo Tim likes this.
  7. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    You should have directed them to a firearms instructor for a class....

8. nam02G

Why? I can teach them quite well. Plus it gives me the opportunity to shoot.

RPK Clone, Caver 60 and Inyo Tim like this.
  9. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I found out how important it is to drill it in. When my son was about 9 he asked if a friend of his could go shooting with us. I got the OK from the kids parents and first thing quickly went through the safety rules. About half way through a .22 pistol mag he turned around and asked me how he was doing with the pistol aimed at my face and his finger on the trigger. i guess he got excited and forgot all the rules.

Caver 60 and deputy tom like this.
  10. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

Good on you.

deputy tom likes this.
  11. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    You may shoot quite well yourself, but teaching others to shoot well is another thing entirely....

You don't know what you don't know.....

12. n2877

n2877

And just like that you lost two friends. All you wanted to do was teach them how to shoot like all the professional trainers do. And now you know why they send there true friends to other trainers....... Just joking. In all seriousness good on your for helping a friend. And it’s a good excuse to go to the range. For those of us who need a good excuse for the other half as to why you are going to the range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caver 60 likes this.
  13. First shot

First shot

Good for you OP.. I’ve helped some beginners before, and it never took me long to decide whether to continue or to suggest they go to a structured class...Gotta start somewhere...Good Luck!!

Caver 60 likes this.
  14. ede

ede

Taught my wife. She had worked matches with me so had good idea about safety. She is cross eye dominate and that really made it difficult for me. She did well and learned to shoot.

15. 1187mg

1187mg

Good for you for taking them. Sounds like you know what you're doing and it's definitely a plus they asked you. I have seen new shooters this year that load their gun to set it down. I mean full magazine one in the chamber.

It's good that people are getting into the sport but scary how much some don't know!

16. Caver 60

Caver 60

Good on you for starting with a 22. I know there are people who started off shooting 44 mag and shoot well. But not most.

I really hate seeing some stupid fool on YT handing a beginner a smoking hot magnum and laughing when it floors them.

And as said by others, watch out for the unexpected.

A shooting friend of mine was the range master an AF range. He told me the story of one day many years before instructing a class of beginners. He had told the class if they had any kind of malfunction with their 38 revolver, to lay it on the table and keep it pointed downrange, then raise their hand.

This young 2nd Lt raised his hand, so he called cease fire, and went to see what the problem was. The Lt grabbed the revolver, turned and pointed the revolver right at his waist and said, "It won't shoot." as he pulled the trigger. Fortunately it was just out of ammunition.

My cousin and I were taking turns shooting a 22 one day out on his dads farm. He fired a few shots and then started waving it around carelessly. I said, "Jimmy that things still loaded."

He said, "No its empty." He went to Port Arms right between us and pulled the trigger. Bang!

Inyo Tim likes this.
  17. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

I was hoping you would say something like that...

Competition shooting and RO training are excellent! I'm USPSA shooter and RO for about 15+ years...

They are in good hands for sure!

I'll be they had a blast... literally! Keep up the good work nameO2G !!!
    :waving:

Inyo Tim likes this.
  18. napp32

napp32

Teaching someone to safely shoot a pistol is a piece of cake. I was once OIC of a hand grenade range at Fort Jackson for six months. Every thing is relative. :juggle:

Caver 60 and Inyo Tim like this.
  19. ked

ked

Let me guess:
    “You DO know what he don’t know?“

Inyo Tim likes this.
  20. nam02G

As stated I have taught before, several times. Things went quite well. Surprisingly I had more trouble with the 19 y/o than the 55 y/o when it came to trigger discipline. Kept putting his finger on the trigger at inappropriate times. I was admittedly getting a little frustrated with him. I had to speak to him several times about it. He kept loading the pistol and would be holding it with his finger on the trigger while it was pointed down at his feet. Finally I resorted to asking him if for some reason he didn't like his feet. He got this puzzled look on his face and said that he liked his feet just fine. So I told him, "Then quit pointing a loaded gun at them with your finger on the trigger!" I think he finally got the message on that one. They had a good time and learned a lot. And are both asking about when we can go again.

I always start new shooters with a .22. Especially women. No need to scare them or hurt them. It's just bad form.

DANG!! How did your friend handle that situation? I'm pretty sure I would have had a conniption on the guy while throwing his butt off the range.
    And I hope your cousin learned a big lesson there.

Caver 60 likes this.