close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Teacher Tackles Gunman

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by flatag, Feb 24, 2010.

1. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

Teacher Tackles Gunman Suspected in Colo. Shooting

Wednesday, February 24, 2010
    [​IMG]

ADVERTISEMENT

LITTLETON, Colo. —
    Math teacher David Benke says he had no time to fear for his life when he tackled a man he said was preparing to reload a rifle to shoot students at a Colorado middle school who were heading home for the day.

And Benke doesn't consider himself a hero for stopping the 32-year-old accused of wounding two students Tuesday at the Littleton school that's just miles from Columbine High School, the site of one of the nation's deadliest school shootings.
    "You know, it bugs me that he got another round off," Benke said of the two shots that authorities say Bruco Strongeagle Eastwood fired.
    On Tuesday, Jefferson County Sheriff Ted Mink praised Benke, calling him a hero. Benke, the father of 7-year-old twins and a 13-year-old girl, fought back tears after Mink thanked him.
    "I know he feels bad about not being able to intervene sooner, but believe me when I say, I think he stopped what could have been a more tragic event than it was this afternoon," Mink said.
    The victims, Deer Creek Middle School students Reagan Webber and Matt Thieu, were both treated at Littleton Adventist Hospital. Spokeswoman Christine Alexander said Webber was treated and released to her home, and Thieu was transferred to another hospital.
    Authorities say both victims had surgery Tuesday.
    Benke and other teachers were monitoring the parking lot in the afternoon when Benke heard what he thought was a firecracker and began walking toward the noise.
    "At first when I was walking over there, it was kind of what a teacher does," Benke said, still shaken hours after Tuesday's shooting. "`Hey kid, what are you doing,' you know that kind of thing."
    "Unfortunately he got another round off before I could grab him. He had a bolt action rifle .... He figured out that he wasn't going to be able to get another round chambered before I got to him so he dropped the gun and then we were kind of struggling around trying to get him subdued."
    Benke said he doesn't remember the students running from the scene or the time it took sheriff's deputies to arrive at the school. He didn't have time to think about anything happening around him.
    The 6-5, former college basketball player oversees the school's track team. He said another teacher was quickly on the scene and both of them pinned the gunman to the ground.
    "I basically have my arms and legs wrapped around him, (the other teacher) has his forearm around his front and we were basically trying to get the guy to quit struggling.
    School officials could not immediately confirm the names of other teachers who helped subdue the shooter.
    "I talked to him while we were on the ground. I was underneath him and his face was pretty close to mine," Benke said. "I asked him, `Why did you do this? Were you a student here?'
    "He either didn't respond or his responses didn't make a whole lot of sense," Benke said.
    Denver station KUSA-TV reported that Eastwood attended Deer Creek Middle School in the early 1990s.
    Eastwood has an arrest record in Colorado dating back to 1996 for menacing, assault, domestic violence and driving under the influence of alcohol, according to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.
    In 2005, he participated in a NASA-funded medical study in which he spent 10 days in a hospital bed so scientist could study muscle wasting, an affliction experienced by astronauts during long flights, according to a story in the Rocky Mountain News.
    He told the newspaper that he had a lifelong dream of being an astronaut and described his occupation to the newspaper as horse trainer working at his father's Eagle's Nest Ranch in Hudson.
    Investigators said Eastwood visited the school previously and was inside shortly before the shooting. He is expected to make his first court appearance Wednesday and may face at least two counts of attempted murder.
    A man who answered the phone Tuesday night at a number listed for Eastwood identified himself only as "Mr. Eastwood" and said he was Bruco Eastwood's father. He was at a loss for words.
    "There's nothing you can say about it. What can you say?" the man told The Associated Press. "Pretty dumb thing to do. I feel bad for the people involved." He wouldn't comment further.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587300,00.html?test=latestnews

2. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

3. bear62

bear62 Armed Bear

Great move on David Benke's part.......

4. Specks

Specks

My sister lives close by, her oldest will be going to that school next year. David Benke is a hero.

5. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I heard the teacher on the radio this am.

It was a good thing that he knew enough about guns to know how a bolt action rifle works.

It gave him a safer opportunity.

6. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  7. Jack_Pine

Jack_Pine CLM

This guys actions should be plastered all over the media. He's a hero.

8. JBJ16

JBJ16

You are right. Unlike some heavily armed, armored and uniformed people, he did not hesitate to save the students' lives before his, as in "for teachers safety" . Hmmm . . . . sounds familiar but not quite.

9. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Yeah, got to watch those damned preteens and their tyrannical destruction of our liberties.

10. Mnukedude

Mnukedude Lurking

Indeed. When I heard about this incident in the news this morning, I heard the media repeating the tired old "high powered rifle" refrain again, and after rolling my eyes I figured they were most likely talkiing about some description of centerfire semiauto weapon of military inspired design. Sorry, but an AR15 does not qualify as "high powered" unless your definition of "high powered" includes ANYTHING that isn't either black powder or rimfire. Being a bolt gun, odds are much more likely we're talking about something like a .308, 30.06, .270, or whatever, in which case the term "high power" makes a bit more sense, though in my opinion "high power" should really include 30.06 at MINIMUM. At any rate, the term is used for the singular purpose of demonizing the weapon rather than the shooter.

I think they probably will. Unlike many nonLEO guys who disrupt active shooters, in this case he was unarmed. The media deliberately ignores it when an armed civilian stops an active shooter, because to acknowledge him is to admit that guns are not evil in and of themselves, but an extension of the wielder's will.

11. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

That'll TEACH that Eastwood guy!! :whistling:

Seriously, great job by the teacher and his co-workers!!!!

12. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Good on him, and on his coworkers who dogpiled in on top to subdue the guy.

That said, I'd feel a whole lot better about this sort of thing if they were armed. If they're being paid to monitor parking lots -- partially to be on the lookout for this sort of thing -- I'll never understand why they can't have so much as a knife on 'em.

13. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Great point! Come to think of it I've NEVER seen a story covered, more than a few second mention tops, where a CCWer did anything positive to help out. :dunno:

Sadly, even yet another school shooting won't trigger any changes in CCW laws...:upeyes:

What will it take to get lawmakers to realize that even resource officers, as great as they are, can't be everywhere at once??

-Emt1581

14. silentpoet

silentpoet

He should have just called the cops and observed, he could have gotten hurt and just made the situation worse.

15. Spence

Spence

That guy should burn in eternity. During interviews last night with parents. A few mentioned driving through the columbine scene to get home during that incident. This is close to home for them.

16. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Feel better now? For over 10 years we've had intense annual training mandated by the state that very clearly puts officer safety and survival secondary to everyone else's in active shooter scenarios.

For some people it's always about bashing the police no matter what. We can't win with people like you. Why don't you just celebrate this guy's heroism instead of misusing his good deed as the base for your uninformed acrimonious grandstanding?

No kidding. I know I'm certainly impressed with him targeting and shooting middle schoolers! :steamed:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  17. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

he didn't do it because it was smart. he didn't do it because he had time to think it over and figure out there wasn't a better answer. I bet, if you ask him straight up was it a brave act, he'd say no. Bet almost any amount of money he wouldn't claim to have acted courageously. Cause, he didn't, by his lights. He just was who he was. Acted like himself.

That's character, not courage precisely. It's deeper and wider than courage. It's really humanity, but I'll claim and settle for 'American Citizen'. He, by my lights, acted as a good citizen, and should be honored for precisely that. Hero? Maybe not. Example for anybody to follow? DAMN STRAIGHT!!

18. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    What do you and a news stand have in common?

"Issues".

19. JBJ16

JBJ16

Great analogy . . . not.

I was neither uninformed nor acrimonious, and I have no need to grandstand. Your post in highlight just confirms what I previously posted. Truth be said and demonstrated, that "intense and mandated" training just doesn't cut it when saving lives is needed.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ This is what was called for in the situation and the guy stood up when the call came.

20. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Just to recap, you are horribly uninformed, filled with acrimony, and grandstanding. As if that weren't bad enough, you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. The training I mentioned trains us to do precisely what you claim that LE does not do.

So knock that chip of your shoulder and educate yourself before you spout off.