TC 300gr shock wave bullets

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by paccw, Oct 16, 2005.

1. paccw

paccw ARE YOU READY !

Does anyone shoot these for muzzleloader season?
    How do they do? Are they better then other 250gr standard bullets?

2. noway

noway

Hi, I saw you other thread and started to assume that this goes hand in hand. I tryed the shockwave and was not 100% impress from their performance. Now you talk to other hunters and they swear up and down with the TC bullets .

Was this the bullet that you used on that deer that got away?

Man you are looking, I hunted my last day of MZl season and only wish I just saw a deer ;)

3. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

I have had great success with the T/C 300 grain Shockwave. It is the same bullet as the Hornady SST with a differnt' color tipp. I have also done very well with the SST in my muzzleloader as has my friend.

I'm getting 7/8" groups at 100 yards with 85 grains of 777 FFG. The deer I have shot with it died fast.

Question, were you using the yellow tip or the blue tip? The blue tip is bonded and should be used for tougher skinned animals.

4. noway

noway

{It is the same bullet as the Hornady SST with a differnt' color tipp}

are you 100% sure about ?

I remember ready somewhere where their was difference outside of the tip color and the jacketing and I think the tips are longer.

One thing for sure you need a clean bbl. I mean squeaky clean to load them shockwave up. I think the sabot is oversize or bigger than the ones package with the 300gr SST froim from hornady. Even the SSTs are hard to load when compared to others. I had to buy a screw on T-handle just to ram them down the bbls of 2 of my 50cals. I also have to wet patch my bbl and I also started using a 20ga ( iirc) copper brush down my bore between firing.

One think I heard from folks that have killed numerous game animals with the SST ( which I would assume is applicable for the TC/shockwave ) is the bullet jacket is much thicker so you need magnum level of charge and higher velocities to get good kills and expansion.Basically what I was told plain and simple, if you have a non-magnum mzl'er you will waste you time & money using them due to you can get better performance with a different bullet.

5. TScottW99

100%? No. Just what I have heard and read. I have both at home, the sabots seem to be a tad smaller on the SST's.

I shoot mine with 85 grains of 777 FFG which is equal to about 100 grains of Pyrodex. It has performed well for me, though I have not recovered any bullets. Complete pass through on all shots with a larger then .45 caliber exit wound.

6. noway

noway

I found this on chuckhawk site that might lead to more reasons on this issue and paccw deer.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/bullets_deer_10ML.htm

If the SST and T/C-Shockwave are the in deed the same bullet, then it looks like the 300gr SST is NOT a good choice. I have hear mix feedback with these bullets from the field.

I 'm still not convince enough either way to depart from my trusty 44caliber 240/300-XTP in my 50cal MZL'er. I have tried both XTPs/SSTs/Shockwaves/PowerBelt and always came back to the trusty XTP which I think is the best JHP for hunting deer with a muzzleloader.

7. TScottW99

Give me warning before posting a Randy Wakeman article ;g ;e ;)

I kinda look at him as the Dean Speer of the muzzleloading world ;f

The XTP is an excellent bullet for deer. When I got a new ML the other year I tried them along with the Shockwave and SST's and power belts. The Shockwaves shot so well and performed so good for me they won hands down.

If I ever get the ML barrel for my Encore I'll have to shoot them all again to see which works best ;f

8. paccw

paccw ARE YOU READY !

No I was shooting TC 250 gr PXT(I think) they are just a standard hollow point.
    I think I'd rather use the Hornady 250 gr with a red tip (I think)I'm more of a fan of Hornady.