Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a simple, inexpensive remedy to protect deer head mounts from insect infestation that won’t damage the mount?

Wondering if a light, annual mist of ortho home defense would work, or anything else along these lines.

I have 2 that are about to go to a cabin environment that’s not heated and cooled all the time.

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
I used to do a bit of taxidermy years ago, and there was no agreement on the best way to do this back then. Lots of variables.

Our consensus was, most products are probably about the same, just use one, sort of like the gun lube debate. Borax dusting was probably the most often used approach.

·
NRA Life Member
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Borax looks like a simple and cheap solution- sevin would be also if it works.

thanks
Sevin powder.
A couple taxidermist friends recommended Boraxo dusted into the fur. Our museum curator (of our study skins) in college agreed.
I used to do a bit of taxidermy years ago, and there was no agreement on the best way to do this back then. Lots of variables.

Our consensus was, most products are probably about the same, just use one, sort of like the gun lube debate. Borax dusting was probably the most often used approach.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Leave them on the animal that owns them.

Reactions: DAKA

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Your opinion, your business, but are you against hunting? Or just displaying trophies? Or am I misunderstanding something?
I grew up as a southern kid in a hunting family...hunted until I was in my mid-twenties. Shortly after returning from my first tour in RVN, I was sitting in the woods waiting for a deer to ambush when the thought suddenly came to me...."Why the hell am I doing this?" I walked back to the car; and went home. I realized that I didn't need to kill a deer for food; and there was certainly no thrill to be had in shooting something that couldn't shoot back. I have never been hunting since then.

I don't have anything against someone hunting if they really have a need to hunt for food. I don't even have a problem with trophy collecting if the animal was shot to fulfill the need for food. It's just not my thing, anymore. I have a Publix nearby; and I enjoy watching the deer feed in my back yard more than I would enjoy shooting and dressing them.

Reactions: DAKA and G19Tony

·
Why so serious?
65,931 Posts
I grew up as a southern kid in a hunting family...hunted until I was in my mid-twenties. Shortly after returning from my first tour in RVN, I was sitting in the woods waiting for a deer to ambush when the thought suddenly came to me...."Why the hell am I doing this?" I walked back to the car; and went home. I realized that I didn't need to kill a deer for food; and there was certainly no thrill to be had in shooting something that couldn't shoot back. I have never been hunting since then.

I don't have anything against someone hunting if they really have a need to hunt for food. I don't even have a problem with trophy collecting if the animal was shot to fulfill the need for food. It's just not my thing, anymore. I have a Publix nearby; and I enjoy watching the deer feed in my back yard more than I would enjoy shooting and dressing them.
I can respect that.

I've been hunting and fishing my entire life. I love being outdoors and eat the animals I harvest.

A successful trip afield isn't measured by game bag or stringer, it's in the experience (solo or partner/group).
I've deer hunted enough that long ago a successful season was more about taking care of the senior and new hunters. I really enjoy helping new hunters (be they 13 or 65) learn about the sport and outdoors.

I've given up my best stands to them most seasons for most of the past 20 years. Most of the camps senior hunters grand kids have seen and taken their first deer off one of my stands.

I like venison, moose, and elk better than beef, and enjoy knowing where my meat comes from and how it was handled.

I don't hunt/fish for things I don't like.

Anyway, that's how I do it, and don't expect everyone else has to.

Hope you had/have good weather this weekend.

Sincerely

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

Reactions: Joshhtn

·
NRA Life Member
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I understand where you are coming from.

I don’t hunt anything that’s not used, and as it’s been, that eliminates some hunting for me. If I don’t eat it or can’t give it away, I don’t hunt it.

I had almost quit deer hunting till I learned our local food bank can’t keep venison, they give it away as fast as they can get it. Learning this, for the past 4 years I’ve killed 2 does each year, had them processed, and donated them to the food bank. This is a similar price tag of having a deer head mounted and having no more room for mounts, is much more fulfilling for me at this stage of life and gives me a reason to hunt.

And our local farmers are glad for the deer to be thinned a little, they are rough on crops, especially soybeans. And the insurance agents processing the deer-car crash claims don’t seem to mind either.

Reactions: Joshhtn
1 - 19 of 19 Posts