Tax Time Starter Kit

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by DeadMansLife, Mar 2, 2007.

1. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

My tax return should be here any day now. I am planning on this Rebel XTi package from CCI.

Does this look like a good starter kit?

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I always fear "kits", particularly when the vendor is less then forthcoming about the lenses they include. Please note in this case the first lens, the 28-105 could be either this one:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=206&sort=7&cat=27&page=1

which has good reviews, or this one:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=9&sort=7&cat=27&page=1

which has very poor reviews.

The second lens is also not identified properly, but in this case both have mediocre reviews:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=18&sort=7&cat=27&page=2
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=16&sort=7&cat=27&page=2

I don't know about the value of the remaining accessories, as they are not described in any detail.

Do not take it as an outright discouragement, just a warning to be careful and inquire more about what you're buying.

3. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

4. Fred

Fred Guest

stay far away from CCI.

5. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
  6. Litespeed_67

Litespeed_67 LnL operator

For that camera, I'd use Adorama, BHPhotoVideo or even Dell. Don't get the oddball kits with off brand parts because you are just throwing money away.

7. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

I know that you've heard this, but buy the body that will do what you need with the least cost, and spend your money on the glass. Kit lenses are good for what they are intended to do, but good fast lenses are what will allow you to make the shots others miss.

Dont rule out prime lenses either. Much lower cost than pro zooms, usually less distortion and very fast. For digital you could get a 20mm, 35mm, 50mm and 80mm as money allows. I have a nikkor 50mm f/1.8 that is phenominal.

Sharp photos in less than perfect light depend on large aperture(low F#) there is much difference in fast and consumer glass.

8. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

The Canon 50mm 1.8 is my favorite lens. It is also about $75-80 new. :)

9. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

My 50mm was my favorite (and is the best bang for the buck in photography period) until I bought my newest.
    I just bit the bullet and bought this...
    http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=1961

My checkbook is still in shock, but my soul is on cloud nine. You just can't appreciate a POG(peice-o-glass) like this until it's in your hands. It's fast like my 50(actually, it's slightly sharper) , only it zooms(and scares small children).

It does 95% of what I do. I just can't praise it enough. It is the perfect portrait and wedding lens IMHO. It's big and it says "pro", just like my 80-200(thanks for the help in my deciding on the 80-200 nipperwolf, I have had it a few months now). It's not a brick to carry like some would suggest either.

This lens and my 80-200 f/2.8 are all I need for my business.

My 18-70 kit lens is gonna be given to my daughter with a D70 or D50 on her b-day.

My 50mm is in my kit, it's family and all.....

10. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

That sure is a nice lens.
    That is its only shortcoming to me, just like the Canon's 24-70. It attracts attention and screams "pro". Hard to use it for candids on the street.

11. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

I dont shoot random folks on the street without their permission anyway, but I don't understand how someone would notice this lens over a smaller one on the street. If someone does'nt want a picture taken, they wont care what lens is on the camera.

12. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

We notice all kinds of things that are out of ordinary, but pay no attention to the everyday stuff. A big honking lens is out of ordinary, so it is easy to notice subconsciously. As you said, for your purposes it may make no difference whatsoever.

13. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

You wouldn't need another daughter would you? :wavey:

My favorite lens for my AE-1 is my FD 50 1.8, too. I have noticed a trend, for me anyway. :supergrin:

14. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

Well, she has shown a lot of interest in my hobby, and wants to use my camera a lot over her canon A520. She is a good kid, and I would rather her be taking pics than surfing the net or playing video games...or talking to boys on the phone...:sad:

15. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Soon those same boys will be coming by to pick her up.

16. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

That day will come, but I am going to put it off as long as possible.
    Maybe when she's got her master's and her own home, I will consider letting her date.:)

17. DeadMansLife

So, with all the great things I keep hearing about the 50mm 1.8, would this make a good starter and walk-around lens on an XTi?

18. DeadMansLife

Another question while I'm at it. What can the XTi do that the XT cannot?

I am wondering if I can justify the extra expense of a 10 meg over an 8 meg.

I am not there yet but someday would consider going semi-pro in the future. I remember reading on this forum that bodies come and go. would I be better off with an XT and spend the difference on 2 pieces of glass to start?

19. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

YES! the 50 is excellent in this capacity. I rarely need wider(people) and it's long enough for casual use. You will be a better photographer and your body of work will be much better with a fast prime.

A great self help exercise is to limit yourself to 1 prime lens for a whole week of shooting. Shoot a 1000 images in which you really try to do your best work. I promise you will come away a better shooter and your images will be superb by the end of your experiment.

Bodies do come and go, but glass lasts. Canon is a little different from NIKON because sometimes older lenses will not work on newer cameras. But I always say, buy a body that will do what you need and no more, then spend your time and money on the lenses. Lenses are what seperates good from great.

20. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Yes, pick up a less expensive body and invest the difference in the glass. The 50mm 1.8 is plastic except for the actual glass. Some people shop around for the older metal mounts but I didn't see the need. When your body is worn out, if you have taken care of it, the glass will be usable at the very least.

A note on glass: you mention going semi-pro later. If you want to go that route, and you want a full frame body, don't buy any EF-S glass. It can only be used on the crop bodies, not the upper level pro bodies. This will only eliminate something like six or eight lenses from Canon's lineup so most likely you will never miss any of them.

I have the XT. I have probably shot 17-18K images on it in about 20 months. I have not had a single legitimate complaint on the camera. I would not consider buying an XTi if I were shopping today because the extra expense is not justified by the gains to me. (My biggest complaint is that I keep knocking the damn eyepiece thingee off but people complain about that with all Canon bodies).

The biggest differences between the two bodies is the 2MP and sensor cleaning function. I think it is supposed to clean the sensor itself. If you sensor is nasty, you are probably going to have to wet clean it and that function won't be of any benefit then.