Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a teacher and took a 1 week course this summer at UVA. I was sent a 1099-Misc form for the stipend which kicked me into the self employed category on Turbo Tax. I have claimed the income but wondered if I used our vehicle to do the 250 mile round trip, is it worth the hassle/deduction or would you not mess with it since the vehicle was only used once for this trip.

Never had to do a 1099 before so I am not sure if the deduction is valid since the vehicle was used once for what they are calling "business." Not even sure 246 miles would make a difference on my refund.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I am a teacher and took a 1 week course this summer at UVA. I was sent a 1099-Misc form for the stipend which kicked me into the self employed category on Turbo Tax. I have claimed the income but wondered if I used our vehicle to do the 250 mile round trip, is it worth the hassle/deduction or would you not mess with it since the vehicle was only used once for this trip.

Never had to do a 1099 before so I am not sure if the deduction is valid since the vehicle was used once for what they are calling "business." Not even sure 246 miles would make a difference on my refund.
I believe you can do this 1099 Misc another way without a Sched C. C will generate Self employment taxes I believe. Since you do not think the 250 miles will make a difference, I'd keep it simple.

I think the 1099 will go on the front on your 1040 as other income.

But I ain't no tax x-purt

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe you can do this 1099 Misc another way without a Sched C. C will generate Self employment taxes I believe. Since you do not think the 250 miles will make a difference, I'd keep it simple.

I think the 1099 will go on the front on your 1040 as other income.

But I ain't no tax x-purt
Yea, it is currently listed on the 1040 form as other income. Probably not worth trying to deduct 250 miles...in regards to the headache of filling out another form.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
If you itemize it's worth about $125. IIRC, you deduct $.50 per mile, less 2% of the total. That's the 2% floor they talk about.

If you don't itemize, you can't deduct it anyway.

If you do itemize, it's not a matter of "filling out another form." It's just a matter of multiplying 250 miles times 50 cents per mile and entering it on your schedule A.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you itemize it's worth about $125. IIRC, you deduct $.50 per mile, less 2% of the total. That's the 2% floor they talk about.

If you don't itemize, you can't deduct it anyway.

If you do itemize, it's not a matter of "filling out another form." It's just a matter of multiplying 250 miles times 50 cents per mile and entering it on your schedule A.
I have no odometer readings or anything like that...just proof that I attended the conference. Is that enough?

·
Registered
714 Posts
If your going down the Schedule C route, and you stayed a week, did you have hotel and meal expenses? Normally you should have a book/calendar indicating the mileage or an indication that you made the trip?

There might be other tax deductions: If you are a teacher, and you paid for classroom supplies and other materials out of your own pocket, you can claim those expenses on Form 1040 line 23.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your going down the Schedule C route, and you stayed a week, did you have hotel and meal expenses? Normally you should have a book/calendar indicating the mileage or an indication that you made the trip?

There might be other tax deductions: If you are a teacher, and you paid for classroom supplies and other materials out of your own pocket, you can claim those expenses on Form 1040 line 23.
UVA put us up for the week and paid for all meals.

The teacher deduction was already added...thanks for checking though!

·
NRA Life Member
29,206 Posts
I have no odometer readings or anything like that...just proof that I attended the conference. Is that enough?
In my experience, that's generally enough for the IRS. Schedule C is the correct way to file it.

WP

·
IYAAYWOT
3,516 Posts
Many of my tax clients have had similar situations occur. Since you are a teacher, getting a 1099-Misc for a short-term teaching gig would be a Sch. C rather than miscellaneous income (line 21).

Your post suggests that the assignment was out of town. You can take the Travel deduction at .50 cents a mile rather than the Transportation mileage deduction (two different expense deductions on Sch. C).

If you have net earnings from self employment (Sch. C), then you will need to compute the self employment tax (Sch. SE) for Social Security and Medicare tax. The good new is that 1/2 of the SE tax is deductable as an adjustment to income on your 1040.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Yes, that's fine. All they care about is that you have some kind of record. Even a handwritten log is sufficient.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts