Taurus PT92

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by gocubs6, Oct 10, 2010.

1. gocubs6

gocubs6

Anyone own one? What do you think? Contemplating one for a range gun.

2. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

yes
    good gun
    You thinking new or used? Blue or stainless? Rail or no? fixed or adjustable sights?

Cause w/ Taurus newer price point, I'd look hard at a lightly used PT92/99 or go with the Italian original (which can now be had cheaper than ever it seems)... even if I do prefer the frame mounted safety.

Do some research on the PT92. You'll probably like what you read. Except for the resale value (which is why a lightly used one might be the or at least, a way to go...)

3. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

It an old one. Steel without the decocker. They are good guns. Nothing like the guns they make now which can have "issues".

4. Aceman

Aceman

It's a Beretta 92. Made by Taurus. But cheaper. Go for it.

Teh one gun I rarely ever hear any crap about from Taurus.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  5. jl1288

jl1288

I used a PT92 to qualify for CCL. I shot a perfect score.

6. CBennett

CBennett

Great gun..I HONESTLY prefer it over the beretta because of where the controls are located VS on the Beretta.

7. crash09

crash09

I've owned a half-dozen of them over the years. Pretty good gun for the money. Never had any issues. Still have a railed version. I've always preferred the location of the safety on the Taurus over the Beretta. Stay away from Promags and you'll be fine.

8. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

This. Especially an older steel one. Grab it, you won't regret it.

9. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Owned two! Both got a trip back to Brazil. Need I say more?

10. oldnoob

oldnoob

Since when Taurus ever made a full steel 92? or you guys just meant the slide parts?

I haven't check out Taurus 92 for years. I really like its safety location. And I believe if given the choice, most American shooter prefer the frame mount safety over slide mount safety.

11. bac1023

bac1023

Its Taurus' best auto for sure.

12. bac1023

bac1023

Taurus never made a steel 92.

13. oldnoob

oldnoob

That's what I thought. I know Beretta have at least one or two model that's full steel and frame mount safety. Such as your Steel I. (I wish Beretta will make one in their entry line but I doubt it's going to happen.)

14. gocubs6

gocubs6

Everything I've read about these has been absolutely positive. I'm looking for a blue version, possibly used it I can find a decently priced one.

15. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin " Owned two! Both got a trip back to Brazil. Need I say more?"

Did you take this as absolutely positive? If so I guess I should have described the problems, so perhaps, you would consider possibly a Ruger, Glock, CZ, M&P, Highpoint, which I personally believe are better choices! I've owned three of their offerings. Two of the three wouldn't work out of the box! Father has a couple, and swore the Millenium was fabulous, until the 3rd range visit left him with a broken firing pin. Lastly a BIL bought a gorgeous 6' barrelled vent rib .357 mag. After about 3 cylinders of magnum ammo, the cylinder wouldn't turn. If you take the time to read my post, everything you've read, hasn't been absolutely positive, has it?

16. gocubs6

gocubs6

Thanks for stoppin' in. I guess I've now read one bad one.

Not asking about all the Taurus' you've owned. Frankly, I don't care. I'm asking about the 92. Also, if you've got nothing better to do than get this mad over a comment in a post, then I hope your guns are fully locked up. Just go ahead and move on to other posts.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  17. austin_tx

austin_tx

There have been several similar threads very recently. Use the search function and you'll turn up a good deal of reading on the PT-92.

Here's one such thread: https://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1268993

My view is that the Taurus is a very good gun (the only Taurus pistol I'll say that about), but it's too close in price to the Beretta these days and not close enough in fit and finish for me to see much appeal in it any longer. I've seen them offered for barely a $100 less than the 92FS, which is absurd.

Also, being the pioneer of MIM parts manufacturing for firearms, Taurus has apparently introduced some MIM parts into this gun, which I detest. But it's still a very good gun. If you found a new one under $375, you'd be looking at a good deal, in my opinion. Very hard to find them at those prices these days, though. Personally, I'd need to see one back at the $290-320 prices of yesteryear (for NIB) to feel any temptation to pick one up.

18. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Ok, Mr 35 posts, like you think I really care if you buy a Taurus, and, or, wether it works properly. You are mistaken. Mad? No! Just trying to help.:rofl:

19. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E

I have had about 15,000 rounds through mine. Still accurate. I can count the stovepipes I have had on one hand. No ftf ever. using reloads (mine) and various factory. The more you shoot it the better the trigger gets. Finish is a little rough now but it is one of the first run PT92's. It's been rode hard. I would still trust it with my life.

20. gocubs6

gocubs6