Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently decided I needed a pocket 9. I'm not a fan of. 380, so a lot of options for pocket carry were eliminated right off the bat. I decided to check into sccy cpx-2. I know the price has come down to about 170 on them. Get to the shop, they are selling the cpx-2 for about 270. I decide to check it out anyhow. I didn't care for the trigger and just did not feel right in my hand.

Then the PT709 catches my eye. It felt decent in my hand. The size was right for pocket carry. So I decided to pick it up. Get it home and holy ****, so much oil!!! Get it apart and clean it thoroughly. Reapply oil. Took it to the range on Tuesday. 50 rounds of Herter's 115gr ammo without a single malfunction. Has a rear adjustable sight. It was shooting high. A couple of minutes of tweaking the sights and no issues.

I will admit, there are some things about it I don't care for. The controls were a little tough to manipulate initially. I attribute this to everything still being tight, small and snag free design. The safety has either loosened up or I am just getting better with manipulating the safety. Also the grips are a little slicker than I would like. I will likely purchase some traction grips for it. It was certainly not a soft shooter, but it wasn't unpleasant either. Longevity of the PT709 remains to be seen, but in the short term, I'd recommend it. Especially at under $200. There were some compromises I had to make. But all of those compromises are ones I felt comfortable making.

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
9,245 Posts
Check out post #222 in this thread:

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/taurus-pt111-g2.1625935/page-12

That thread is into it's 12 page and is mainly on the PT111 G2 but towards the end drifts to the PT709. You'll be pleased with the evaluation in #222.

My wife has the 709 and she really likes it. Shot everything that it's been feed.

·
Registered
32,377 Posts
I had one years ago. It could have been the ideal pocket/small 9mm but I had two showstopper issues. One, it couldn't feed Gold Dots, the nose of the next bullet would force a slide lock open on every round. Two, the magazine catch was crap, one of the mags wouldn't even lock in. I kind of got it to work by bending the opening on the mag. The mag looked normal but it just was a hair out of tolerance I guess. It was a great little shooter though. Maybe Taurus has fixed those issues.

Oh yeah I forgot, the sights were also way off vertically, like 4 inches at 7 yards, maybe it was more.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's

That thread is into it's 12 page and is mainly on the PT111 G2 but towards the end drifts to the PT709. You'll be pleased with the evaluation in #222.

My wife has the 709 and she really likes it. Shot everything that it's been feed.
My confidence in the PT111 g2 that allowed me to consider the PT709. Taurus is one of those brands I always just kind of avoided due to having a poor reputation. But it really seems that they are stepping up their QC the last couple years.

·
Registered
440 Posts

I bought the 709 due to the excellent review on Guns And Ammo a few years ago (July 27, 2015) against 9 other pocket 9s. It came out on top of the others which included Glock 43, Beretta nano, Sig 290rs, Keltec Pf9, Ruger LC9, Kahr CM9, S&W 9 shield, Springfield XDs 3.3, Walther PPS. The 709 Slim was the best for the money, reliabiilty and accuracy.

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
9,245 Posts
It's

My confidence in the PT111 g2 that allowed me to consider the PT709. Taurus is one of those brands I always just kind of avoided due to having a poor reputation. But it really seems that they are stepping up their QC the last couple years.
In that thread I linked above, Ofc.JL that did the review in post #222 also did a detailed review earlier in that thread on the PT111 G2. He stripped different G2's down to inspect the internals (he's an armorer IIRC) and stated he could see a dramatic improvement in QC in the newer models.

Taurus seems to have stepped up their game while keeping a low price point. As discussed in the other thread, that's a smart strategy i.e. flood the market and get word-of-mouth going in your favor. The G2 at one time was the #1 selling firearm, maybe still is though I haven't kept up with it.

Not perfect and some folks still have issues, but then all manufactures do from time to time.

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
9,245 Posts
I bought the 709 due to the excellent review on Guns And Ammo a few years ago (July 27, 2015) against 9 other pocket 9s. It came out on top of the others which included Glock 43, Beretta nano, Sig 290rs, Keltec Pf9, Ruger LC9, Kahr CM9, S&W 9 shield, Springfield XDs 3.3, Walther PPS. The 709 Slim was the best for the money, reliabiilty and accuracy.
I believe this is the review your referencing:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/handguns/compacts/single-stack-9mm-shootout/

Just saw that myself when another member posted it in the other thread.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My daughter has a 709 and loves it. She tried a number of pistols and the 709 is what she liked best. She shoots it well and has never had an issue. Personally, I don't care for it at all. The trigger pull is too long and I tend to push it way to the left. While it functions well, the edges are somewhat rough and unpolished. If you like it, I think it will serve you well.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I believe the Walther PPS came out on top but they did like the Taurus.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read the article a few days ago. Prior to picking it up. Believe it was determined to be the best value of all the firearms tested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts