Glock Talk banner

Taurus PT22 feeding problem

21K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Matt Hardiek 
#1 ·
As the title says my PT22 is not feeding well.:crying: I really like this little gun but I'm not nuts about the feeding problem. I bought this little pistol new and shot a couple mags through it no problem. Then it sat for awhile. A few weeks ago I got it back out, lubed it up and went out back to shoot it. It shot one mag clean and then would not feed well.:steamed: I have always used CCI Stingers or Mini Mags. I'm no gunsmith so I ask you, is there something I can do or should I just send it in to Taurus? They have pretty good service, I think. Thanks in advance for your input.:help:

#13 ·
My PT22 (15+ year sold) has NEVER been able to use HP ammo.

Try shooting solid point only. . .

(Assuming that works)
After 500 rounds of solid points, try the HP ammo again.
Use solid nose at first, clean your gun,oil it well,disassemble the mags,run a copper brush thru them,stretch them about a inch.I even shaved the front of the mags to taper to the feed ramp.No problems since, even with HP's.l

#4 ·
Problems with most 22lr auto pistols can be traced to the ammo..
CCI Minimag seems to be what most folks use to rule out problems with thier pistols..
My Favorite range ammo is Federal 550 Value Packs that I score at Wal-Mart..
It's Copper washed works well in my Rugers & Jennings J-22 "POP GUN" but it's Hollow Point & can cause problems in some pistols..
Good Luck!!

#5 · (Edited)
I went out back yesterday evening and took CCI minimag rd nose, Federal classic rd nose, and Remington golden bullets hp. I ran a bore snake through it as soon as got out back. First I shot the Federals and they fed real well. 3 mags with no incidence. Ran the bore snake through her a couple times and loaded the CCI. On the 6th shot it failed to eject and jammed open. With a little flick of the finger it popped out and fed the other bullet. Finished the mag and ran another. Another FTE about half way through that mag. Same solution. The last mag shot okay. Ran the snake through it again and loaded the Remingtons HPs. Thought they might give me trouble but they cycled great. After that I shot several more mags of each. The Federal ran good except for a couple fail to fires. The CCI constantly was giving me trouble with failure to eject. Almost every mag. The Remington cycled flawlessy. As of now I like the Remington out of that selection.
I have a Federal 550 pack HP, A newer 100 pk of CCI rd nose and a CCI 100 pack of HP, plus more Federal classic and Remington golden bullets to experiment with. Hell this gun only had 30 shots through it till last evening.
It just needs broken in. Here's a stock pic of it. Notice the safety is off.

#7 ·
I'll try the .270 brush. I take it the little tighter fit scrubs just a little better. I am really looking forward to some more experimenting this weekend.
I had a J-22 I bought in '83. Sweet little gun. It always did well. I sold it on a whim one gun show and have missed it every since.

#8 ·
when you get your gun to shoot one 50 round box of ammo without any stoppage or cleanings let me know.

ive never seen the beretta or taurus mini .22lr's do this....no extractor, and the shaped of the rimmed and rim fired cartridge doesnt help matters.

i saw a nickle plated Taurus with Pink grips, know my wife and daughter would like it, but the stiff DAO trigger and the poor track record of these guns in .22lr has kept me away from it.

#10 ·
I would have been happy if mine would have fired. Just lite strikes over and over Sent to factory was gone 6 weeks Got back paper work said polished feed ramp? What.
Still lite strikes I traded for a Beretta 21 Like it so well bought a 2nd one. No more T gunes in my house This 2nd lemon from them.

#11 ·
Most 22 LR semiautomatics pistols especially pocket pistols , have been known to be a bit picky , when it comes to ammo ... Useally you find a few brands and bullet types that will function in a firearm realiablely ...
Myself I recently purchased a couple of revolvers in 22LR. They are not picky they wil consume everything... And now that 22 ammo is hard to find , it's good to know they are not finicky ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.