Taurus PT1911

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by AA11285, Feb 20, 2010.

1. AA11285

AA11285

I've been looking to purchase my first 1911, and the Taurus seems like a good deal. I hear mixed reviews, but I have a feeling that the negative stuff is coming mainly from people who don't own one. Everyone that owns one seems to like them, so...my question is the following:

I really like the look of the stainless PT1911 EXCEPT for the ugly, gaudy TAURUS and logo on the side of the slide! Yuck! :ack:

Is there any way to polish, sand, buff etc. the side of the slide to get rid of that ugly writing on the slide?? Ideally, I would like the slide to be completely blank so it looks like a cool custom 1911, even though I know its far from :embarassed:

Any suggestions? Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks

2. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

You could have just the slide coated by an aftermarket company. It's not very expensive (40-60 plus shipping). I've been toting with the idea of having it done on my G19.

3. AA11285

AA11285

If you ever see Nutnfancy's videos on Youtube, he has a duracoated PT1911 on some of his vids. If you look closely, you can still see the lettering and logo on the slide, its just a little more difficult to see. I would ideally like the slide to be totally blank, which I believe would require some sanding or polishing, and I would like the same stainless finish on it.

4. raven11

raven11

5. swat220

swat220

Can't say anything about the writing since it doesn't really bother me. But I own the Stainless PT1911 and love it. I've read a lot of negative reviews also but so far so good, it puts the bullet where I am it, no jams or anything. Great gun, enjoy.

Also you can get some nice looking grips here: http://raascogrips.com/ta19gr.html

I have a set on mine and I like the looks of it much better than the standard black personally.

6. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Pretty much with the Taurus 1911, people either love it or hate it. It seems like a good deal, but I have heard way too many bad stories about them.

You would be better off with a Rock Island or a Springer GI.

7. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Rock Island Armory Tactical will serve you much better.

8. AA11285

AA11285

Care to elaborate? I read that the Taurus has forged slide and frame vs. RIA's cast slide and frame. Any reason why you believe the RIA would be better? Thanks

9. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Every Taurus 1911 I've shot was a complete rattle trap, except one, onwed by a guy at a range I frequented. He put a lot of work into it. Every RIA I've shot or worked on feels like a $1000 Springfield.

Just my observations as a police armorer.

10. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

in my opinion,

the taurus is a higher quality gun than the rock island,

but for the price of the rock island, and the difference between the two, you could get a smith to clean up the rock island,

and yes on the taurus you can remove the bill board, draw file it off, then sand and polish it out,

or bead blast whichever you would prefer,

11. bac1023

bac1023

...because the parts fitting is junk.

I own 1911s from every company currently building them and the Taurus is absolute dead last in my opinion. In fact, its a good deal below the second to last.

My advise is to get something better for your first 1911.

12. bac1023

bac1023

To spend money on that POS removing the roll marks and recoating is a HUGE mistake. For the money you're going to spend, you could have a Kimber Custom II, Smith & Wesson SW1911, Springfield Loaded, and some others. They're far and away better quality 1911s than the PT.

13. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

at the price point they are at now .. its a no brainer to go elsewher for all the problems that most have ,

mine is not factory any more .. ive built it just a tad,

but when they were introduced at something like 499 or 549 or whatever, they were a good deal ..

14. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Go to the 1911 forum and do a search for "Taurus PT 1911" let me know what you find out.
    If it works for you,...great. I for one would not recommend it, and yes, I HAD one.

15. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

Did someone say RIA Tactical? I LOVE mine! Its been superb and was my first 1911.......:supergrin:

[​IMG]

FWIW, I paid below $500 for mine brand new in box. RIA also has a lifetime warranty, and from what I've heard on the 1911 forums, the turn around time is usually less than 2 weeks if an issue does occur. I had a Taurus PT1911 in mind for my first 1911, then decided against it; the RIA was cheaper, seemed to have better warranty support, and was even recommended by bac here on GT.

16. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

The PT1911 was my first 1911, and probably the quickest I ever got rid of a gun. My dealer took it back and gave me the full purchase price as credit to a new gun. This was when they first came out and I paid $429 I think. The finish was crappy, the fit was OK, it was accurate, the trigger was OK and the dumbass lawyerlock on the hammer siezed up on the 3rd range trip.

I have owned a half dozen Tauri and own none now. Some of them are pretty decent (PT92, some of the revolvers) but there is definitely better out there for the money. The PT92 is the only one I regret getting rid of.

I own three other 1911's now, lots of other better choices out there.

17. RightGlock1

RightGlock1

I have a SS PT1911. It has been flawless. It hits where you want it. Have had 0 problems. I bought it for 425. It was a great investment. I have'nt handled but 2 others, other than mine, and the fit to finish was good. I've had mine for 2 + years now and it accompanies me to the range every time I go. (every other week). It gets 100 +/- rounds through it each time. I have not had 1 problem. No FTF or FTE.
    Yes, I would buy another. I currently own 2 Taurus revolvers and 2 Taurus Autos.
    I have Rugers and Smiths. Are the Taurus as high quality, no. Do they function, yes. What do you expect for the price? Go for it, take the plunge. Look around find one that fits tight. I know for a fact that not every Colt, Springfield and yes, even Kimber are all tight. There will be variances on the 1911 platforms. Why do you think that so many gunsmiths work on 1911's. It's not only for customization.

18. rfd339

rfd339 Silver Member

If your on a budget , look for Norinco 1911. You will have a good platform to build on.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  19. skeeter1959

skeeter1959

How about a $500 Para GI Expert? I shoot mine regulary with NO issues. Para now makes the GI Expert in stainless.

20. dakrat

dakrat

good thing it wasnt your carry gun and needed it at that time.. taurus should just give up the 1911 business.