close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Taurus PT101 .40 cal

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by USMC61, Feb 1, 2010.

Tags:
  1. USMC61

USMC61

I know there are a lot of you here that don't care for Taurus but I would like the comments of anyone who owns or owned captioned pistol. There is an outfit around here (Academy) that has them for sale (limit 2) for $299.99 which sounds like a pretty good price to me. I am thinking of using it for house/truck gun. Might be better than the Sigma but I don't know. Would not use this for carry. Thanks

2. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

Thats a great price. Ive had good luck with the Beretta clones from Taurus. I have a 92 in 9mm, its been 100%, Ive had it for years. I may need to look into one of these at that price. Id prefer this over the Sigma, personally.

3. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

I bought a nickel PT101 back in the early 90's. I ended up selling it because, get this, I couldn't find ammo for it. Yeah, .40 s&w was VERY hard to find back then.

It was a very nice shooter for what I paid for it. I put less than 500 rounds through it.

4. Texas Boy

Texas Boy

Just picked mine up today!

5. NowAGlocker

NowAGlocker

Does the PT101 use Beretta magazines?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  6. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I tried one of the small Taurus pistols at the range. The trigger was awful but it functioned properly.

7. turbostar66

turbostar66

It takes some practice to get used to the SA/DA trigger. When it is SA, it has a looong take-up.

I have 2 Taurus pistols in 9mm (24/7 pro and 24/7 pro compact). Both have seen thousands of rounds with no issues.

8. viniglock

viniglock

I care and dig them despite everything around:wavey:

In a good way that is, my first gun was PT 92 and was very good and reliable. Lately, I have notice that some of Taurus (especially the big ones) firearms have come down in price. I have put one in layaway for the 800 series PT845 they had it for $375.00. Could not pass it the deal and besides I live near Miami, have plenty of spares guns and they do offer lifetime warranty, should things go wrong. :whistling:

9. Texas Boy

Texas Boy

The model that Academy sells is acyually a PT101 P (not even on the Taurus website). I have heard that it wont take regular PT101 mags and the only way to get the mags is through Taurus. I dont have any to compare. If you do buy one of the guns on sale at Academy, make sure it has 2 mags. The guy at the gun counter said they started coming in with only 1. So if they try to give you a gun with only 1 mag, ask them to check the other boxes.

10. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Honestly don't waste your time and money. For the money you can get a S&W Sigma, which is a much better gun.

I like Taurus revolvers, but their autos are crap.

11. ggarciatx

ggarciatx Cold War Sailor

I handled the one at the academy here and got to see the magazine. It is marked 15 rounds. How the heck they can fit 15 rounds of .40 caliber in that thin magazine is beyond me. It does have an extended floorplate, but doesnt look to add enough to hold 4 more rounds than the standard 11 round magazine from before. I think they are pushing the envelope with that. Side of the Mag even has a depression on the sides. It does feel good in the hand but has finger grooves. The finish of the frame is very smooth and looks like a duracoat finish rather than the old matte finish of before. I honestly would not buy it and would rather spend the 20.00 more for a Sigma in 9mm or .40. Especially now that the two free mags or 50.00 rebate is in effect. If you look at the SAXET gunshows (If you are in Texas) look for PDQ firearms (Brad Taylor). They had 3rd Generation G-22s and G-23s starting from 299.99 up to 349.00 and G-17s at 329.00. All are Police Trade ins, but will work.

12. Texas Boy

Texas Boy

Its actually 16 rounds. Its a pretty big mag.

13. bnkrtstk

bnkrtstk

My bought me a PT101AF for my 21st birthday. It was my first handgun and I wish I still had it. The only problem I ever had was the pin that holds the rear sight backed out. I called Taurus and they sent me replacements. I replaced the pin and it never happened again. The magazine capacity was 11rds if I remember correctly. If I could find another one I would get it.

14. MD357

MD357

So basically you're speaking from a completely superficial point of view and base assumptions on no exerience with the gun? Interesting.

15. ggarciatx

ggarciatx Cold War Sailor

I have owned a stainless PT-100 (fixed sight version) and have extensive experience with all types of handguns due to being a firearms instructor. I have had the opportunity to test fire guns I have purchased in the past 20 years and all the guns bought by fellow Officers. It was a comparison to the one I owned before about 14 years ago. It was a very diferent gun back then when Taurus used all metal in the Beretta style copies and not the plastic they use in them now.
    I put myself thru college working in a gun store as well, so I got first hand experience with all the models that came out and alot of older guns going back to cap and ball revolvers. I speak out of experience not assumptions.
    The vast choice of guns now is way more compared to 15 years ago and if spending 20-30 dollars more for a proven design that has ridden in 60 percent of holsters in the US LE community and military holster around the world (Glock) means alot more than taking a chance on a design going very diferent from their previous model, than the comparison will be made. Have you owned a Taurus .40 cal?

16. MD357

MD357

I can tell you several stories about instructors and gunshop employees of old and especially new, so no grandstanding needed. My statement stands, your observations were superficial yes? They still are. As for me, I'm generally a Taurus "basher" as they put it. However, I picked one of these up because I missed an old PT series I sold awhile back. For $300 it's hard to argue IMO. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that these should go in the other 40% of LEO holsters. :supergrin: :upeyes: I will say that this PT101 I just picked WILL actually shoot accurately and reliable with a WML, so far. Something my G22RTF wouldn't do? Funny, our local PD is also trading in their G22s for G17s for the same reason. It's also a signficantly better platform than a Sigma going by owning BOTH. :supergrin:

17. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Suspend everything you know about Taurus when considering a PT92/99/100/101. I don't own cheap or ineffective handguns, but strongly promote these (and only these) particular Tauri. I absolutely believe them to be better weapons than the Beretta they are usually compared to. And Sigma, while undeservedly maligned by most, isn't even remotely comparable. This is the best buy out there for what is certainly one of the most comfortable 40SW's you can buy, and accurate and reliable to boot.

18. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I'm not a Taurus fan,...but for the price the PT101 is a great value.

19. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

I dont get it. Why are some of these post comparing the PT101 to the "plastic" Taurus models? I've owned several of the Taurus Beretta clones, and all have been great. In my experience, they are made of good materials, and are a super-reliable design.
    I dont see comparing a PT101 to a Sigma. Apples to oranges.

If Taurus would have stayed with a limited model line up of S&W clones and their Beretta clones, their reputation in the gun industry would be much better, IMHO. Some of the Taurus made Smith clones rivaled the originals back in the Bangor-Punta days of S&W.