close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Taurus M94 - Tell me about this gun

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by KenBGlock19, Mar 28, 2010.

1. KenBGlock19

KenBGlock19 SEMPER PARATUS

Thinking about buying one for my NRA Pistol Courses that I teach.

Saw one today at the gun shop and it seemed like a decent gun. WAY cheaper than the SW617 (that they can't even get in stock right now). How's the reliability, etc?

Also, is it possible to get a gunsmith to address that ridiculously heavy trigger? This will be a gun used to mainly teach my beginner students, etc. Also will be used for my fun, too :cool:

Anyone that owns one, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

2. RightGlock1

RightGlock1

I have one. It functions well. Yes, the trigger can be smoothed up. Mine has a 4" bbl. I like the fact that it is 9 rounds.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010

3. KenBGlock19

How many rounds is it good for at the range before it starts gettin' gunked up?

4. RightGlock1

RightGlock1

I've shot as many as 250 to 300 with it in a range session. It does get dirty. I do clean it after every session. The only hang up I have with it is that it gets hard to empty the cylinder after 150 to 200 rounds. It takes a little extra effort to eject the empties. After a thorough cleaning it's good to go.

5. pctechglock

pctechglock

I owned one -- for about 3 days.

The action on it would bind up randomly. (Couldn't cock the hammer back or pull the trigger). Since it was a new gun, my FFL offered to either send it to Taurus or give me a full credit on my next purchase. Not wanting to wait, or see what a Taurus "repair" is like, I accepted the credit and bought a different gun.

If you do some research I think you'll find that this is a fairly common problem with this model. It's a shame too, as I really wanted to like this little gun. The S&W equivalent is quite expensive these days!

6. KenBGlock19

The price of the 617 is exactly why I want the Taurus LOL. The 617 is ridiculous.

7. pctechglock

pctechglock

I hear you, Ken. I'm still without a .22lr revolver. I've been tempted to try another Taurus M94 but just haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet.

I'd love to see Ruger start making the SP101 in .22lr again, preferably with fully adjustable sights this time. I think they would sell a bunch of them. There are not many options for a double action .22lr revolver these days.

8. KenBGlock19

If they made an SP101 in .22LR, I'd buy TWO!

9. Berto

Berto woo woo

They did make the sp101 in .22lr. Hard to find them, though.
    You might keep an eye out for a used model 63 or 34 S@W.
    I've seen hit and miss on the taurus 94's I tried; loose lockup, heavy trigger.

10. KenBGlock19

Thanks for the advice, fellas. :wavey:

11. moncoacp

moncoacp

I bought one. First time out problem with cylinder locking up and light strikes. Gun shop where I bought it sent it back to Taurus who said it would be 8-9 weeks turnaround (1 week each way in transit). To my pleasant surprise it was back in less than one month. Took it to the range and shot 200 rounds through it. One misfire and it was the cartridge, not the gun. Shooting lead so it did get dirty but cleaned up easily. Did not experience the reported difficulty ejecting after 100-150 rounds.

I am glad I kept it. Gun shop now trying to smooth out the action. He says polishing and removing burrs should help a lot. I understand that after a while the action will smooth itself out. Get some snap caps and pull the trigger about 500 times.

I got this advice from another owner:
    "I removed the main spring & polished the main spring strut with "Mother's" mag wheel polish on a Dremel's buffing wheel.

I then replaced the main spring with a 9 lb. Wolff mainspring made for the Taurus M-85.

Now it's DA trigger is 100% reliable, smooth and fairly light for a .22 LR revolver."
    This model sells very well for Taurus and personally, I think they may crank them out as fast as they can and ship them for sale. I think the initial QC might be lacking, but since they do offer a lifetime warranty, I think they may just take the bad ones back and make them right. They certainly did for me. Given the price and the warranty, I would not hesitate to recommend it or to get another one. I found it very accurate (4" barrel). Can't wait to get it back.

12. Cambo

Cambo

Without a doubt, the worst handgun I have ever owned - would bind up and jam regularly.

13. Tom P

Tom P Senior Member

I've got one...first time out, it would do light strikes on about half the cylinder. Sent it back, works just fine now. As others have said, the double action trigger is really heavy. Single action trigger is quite nice. For the price, it isn't bad. I mostly just use mine with birdshot for rodents or birds in the house/garage. The shot doesn't cycle my autos, but works fine in the revolver.