Taurus G2 Blues ...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by PattonWasRight, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Neldon

Neldon Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!

@PattonWasRight, you should be getting a commission for your extensive research.
    :cheers:

PattonWasRight and garya1961 like this.
  2. 45caldan

45caldan

The newer locking blocks beretta uses can be used in older models and I believe also in the PT92 as it is a Beretta design.

3. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Lot of stuff took place since last update ...

I searched online and found a Taurus press release that ended with the email contact of a person at the marketing/pr company that Taurus uses

I contacted that person and asked if would be open to pass some experience/feedback along to his/her contacts at Taurus. My input would be professional and constructive, and that I would not be asking anyone to do anything on my behalf, I was simply wanting folks to hear of my experience over 12 months of high interaction with multiple consumer-facing departments.

This person was super helpful and passed my input along. Turns out the person works directly with the Taurus USA CEO, and the marketing/pr agency person confirmed the CEO had indeed read it and was inquiring internally about the issues I observed.

Crazy, fortuitous alignment of the stars.

Note also, I provided high praise for the call center and customer advocate folks, providing names, so I feel like I did do a good deed here for the Taurus folks that earned it IMO.

From there things happened blind to me, but then Taurus called me and from the updates I could see things from my letter actually stuck. My gun was looked at by a "senior tech" and low and behold, it was stated that the ejector and been "adjusted and fitted." The gun came back in a timely manner and was not dumped into a bucket of oil, and the documentation provided actual narrative as to what took place. Prior, my gun had come back with the most minimal of comments and was drenched in oiled inside and out far more than any reasonable person would think is okay.

Looking at the gun, the ejector is no longer able to make contact with the striker tab, and the striker tab, which had a groove worn into it, appears to have been ground and polished as I can't really make out the groove anymore, maybe just barely.

So, I recv'd the gun yesterday and held my breath going to the range. I ran 3 full mags and then 3 more mags with +1 and low and behold, nothing bad happened!

What a relief.

I intend to take the thing along with me to the range and will increase round count up 200, for good measure. Just in case.

Glad I'm at this point. Along the way, to Taurus credit, they did provide an extra mag to me when I pointed out the range fees and ammo expense I've incurred testing faulty repairs. They also reimbursed my FFL for the replacement G3C in a timely manner.

It took a lot of extra effort obviously, far beyond what the usual consumer would take on, but at least they hung in there, didn't shut down on me, and tried.

So, I guess the only updates to come now are for when I hit round count milestones or if (please no!) there's some issue that pops up

I hope this has been helpful to folks, and also hope that Taurus maybe has a better understanding of gaps and how to close them to improve their standing in the marketplace.

pgg00, boilergonzo and garya1961 like this.
  4. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Update ...

Have 200 rounds thru the G3C now

Shooting it today, I tried to put out of my mind all the back story and just see what I thought as if first time shooting it. So ...

The trigger breaks back far in its travel, longer than I'm used to and for me, I'm only SD accurate with it. I'm talking about 5 to 6 inch groups at 7 yards, with the horizontal distribution being the culprit rather than side to side. Subsequent shots off of reset are nicely short & crisp, and I'd guess I'd do better with it accuracy wise if the trigger was just further forward for that

The gun handles and shoots rapid with good control for me. Size wise it's a nice fit, splits the difference between a G26 and G19. With 13 round capacity, nice. Everything looks and feels thought out and nicely detailed.

The big news? 0 malfunctions, and that's in 200 rounds. Breaking it down, nothing seems to be complaining wear/contact wise.

Would I carry it? Maybe, maybe not, time will tell.

5. Para-bellum

Para-bellum

Glad you are finally getting out of the woods with that thing

6. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

The story just keeps unfolding, but the ending is looking like it may be a good one. I had almost given up!

PattonWasRight likes this.
  7. Bradd D

Bradd D

If it were me, I would have sold the G3 and washed my hands of Taurus by now. You're tolerance is impressive.

8. bac1023

bac1023

Good to hear. Hopefully this one is better. As always with Taurus, some are and some aren’t.

9. pgg00

pgg00

Glad to see it seems like it has been resolved

10. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

As a range session, it did not suck, and I felt exactly the same thing!

You made me look at the page count for this thread, now 13. That's a lot. For one gun. Again, if I can forget about the past, I do like the gun.

LoL! Well, I felt like I was providing the gun community a public service. Something that needed to take place, so no, I wasn't going to give up.

I think that's a good summary.

Thanks. With another 100 rounds I'll deem it good to go.

Well shoot this for another 100 rounds. I think I've read that's the magic number to test reliability. If anyone knows otherwise, holler.

Thanks for following along this drama. If anything, if you have a friend that gets a Taurus and has problems, at least there's this road map on how to navigate their organization.

pgg00 likes this.
  11. J_Rico

J_Rico

If the big bosses listened to your story and make real, lasting changes to Taurus CS, you may have done a service for all Taurus owners.

So happy your G3 has been corrected. Enjoy.

boilergonzo and PattonWasRight like this.
  12. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Well, I have to say, this G3C thing has won me over

Got the hang of it today, just let your finger fall on the trigger where it naturally hits.

Lots of nice little features on this, and just hits a sweet spot for me in being about the size of a 26 but with a full, well shaped grip. Better than the 19 even.

Shooting for accuracy, I was about 70%/30% in 10 and X rings at 10 yards.

After that, went for SD / fast rapids. Below is 5 yards shooting 2 quick rounds on one target then fast transition for 2 rounds onto second target, just moving back & forth as fast as I could without shooting the floor or ceiling ;-)

A lot more controllable/less muzzle flip than the 365/Cat I've rented

I'm up to 255 rounds on this, since the ejector was "fitted" by Taurus, and it rocks. Absolutely no malfunction of any type. Feels great, accurate, although you need to adapt to the trigger a bit, and yes, I would carry this.

Whoda thunk it?!

I have to say, if you can get one of these for 3 bills, yes, it's worth it. Just be prepared to be a very squeaky wheel if you get a lemon

IMG_20201020_180443651.jpg

13. bac1023

bac1023

Nice

Glad you like it

14. J_Rico

J_Rico

I might consider it. You buy one. Beta test it. Apply your influence over Taurus and extreme patience to make sure it works. Then I'll buy it from you. Deal?

boilergonzo and PattonWasRight like this.
  15. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Ha! Can't argue with your logic, good thinking!

boilergonzo and J_Rico like this.
  16. J_Rico

J_Rico

Glad you are happy with. You deserve it after all that stress.

17. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Thanks brother. It really was a long time getting to this point. I just didn't expect to think this highly of the G3

18. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

I'm happy there was a silver lining in the cloud brother :)

As long as your G3c and my G3 demonstrates long term reliability and durability then we've got a thumbs-up pistol. Only time will tell. It makes sense that it would have less flip than the 365/HC. In regards to the trigger, the G3 seems to break pretty much like a Glock and not as far back as the G2 series. Was that your experience with the G3c? I also liked that the trigger safety lever was wider than Glock or the previous G2 series. Seemed to be more comfortable on the finger for extended shooting.

19. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Yep, time will tell, which I guess is true of any gun. I'm keeping a sharp eye on wear and so far like what I see. A polishing and not galling. I definitely feel the trigger pull is longer than Glock, at least for the C. The trigger shape/flatness is definitely better than Glocks stock trigger. Thanks Deputy for your encouragement and support through all this, you're a pal!

pgg00 and Deputydave like this.
  20. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Hit the statistically magic threshold of 300 rounds today

0 malfunctions of any kind, so now with the 300 round "bookmark" achieved, I'm calling testing complete

I may go crazy and get a carry holster for it?