close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Taurus Espesco 38spl.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Adjuster, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Adjuster

Adjuster

2. Adjuster

Adjuster

[​IMG]

This gun was found by a friend at the house of a deceased relative. The relative was a police officer. The gun was found lying in the dirt of a dirt floor basement. My research reveals the gun has little to no value. The gun means nothing sentimental to my friend. The finish is in terrible condition. There are no pits but there is heavy finish wear, light scratches and surface rust. My friend wants me to attempt to refinish the pistol. He wants to display it as a souvenir type shadow box thing. It was also found with a set of fake pearl grips. My plan is to steel wool it with oil and then try one of the Birchwood Casey cold blue kits. Will I have any luck? Any other suggestions to refinish? The gun was locked up with internal rust and dirt when found. He took it to a gunsmith and paid $150.00 to have it cleaned and lubed. The gun functions perfect and appears to have very little rounds through it. Locks up tight and rifling is perfect. My refinish attempt has to be very inexpensive. Cold Blue kits are $40.00.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010

3. arclight610

arclight610

You should shoot it before you refinish it. Give us a range report.

4. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

He is already $150.00 deep?

Ouch!

Good luck on your refinish!! Hope it turns out.

5. Adjuster

Adjuster

Yeh my friend knows nothing about guns. He just thought it was cool another relative gave it to him and now he wants to display it.

6. Berto

Berto woo woo

I've done a cold blue on a percussion kit gun project, it may suffice for a project like that.
    Emory cloth, steel wool and light oil until the bare steel is polished.
    It's going to take a bunch of elbow grease.

7. method

method

$150 to clean and lube? Wow. If you decide to refinish yourself, just remember it's all in the prep work.

I don't think I'd bother.

8. The_Drizzle

The_Drizzle I make it rain!

I don't think I would bother refinishing it either. I would however clean it up and shoot it. I think it would look much better as a display piece if it was not refinished. Tell your friend to just wipe it down with some oil now and then and make sure it does not rust. To me, guns look much more interesting when they have a well worn finish.

9. oldnoob

oldnoob

The short answer will be not worth it.

But it's always fun to have project. Personally I think your friend got rob buy his smith. 1) the smith definitely over charge. 2) He should knew that gun is not worth $150.

Steel wood will get rid of most that left over blued and most that rust. But don't put too much hope on Birchwood Blue kit. It's a tool to do touch up but to reblued the whole gun, might ask too much. Anyway, personally I would steel wood the whole gun. For there were still lots rust spots on that gun. But I won't worry about reblued part and leave it as a shooter gun.

Either way, let us know what you decide to do and report back.

10. Adjuster

Adjuster

Can someone link me to some revolver disassembly instructions? Apparently this revolver is an exact replica of the S&W revolver it was modeled after. Even being machined on S&W equipment supervised by S&W engineers at the time. I believe it to be the S&W Model 10. I have never taken apart a revolver before and I don't want to chance things flying through the air never to be seen again. Thanks

11. Adjuster

Adjuster

Well here are the refinish results. To be honest I am thinking about restripping it and going over it again. As with all jobs like this your final results soley rely on your prep work. Not the new finish itself, that is the easy part. I used steel wool on all the rust areas and thought I had them off good enough. When you put the new finish on any missed spots are obvious. Don't get me wrong it looks 97% better. The blue kit even comes with the proper sand paper to do the fine finishing but I didn't use it because I thought it was good enough and of course I wanted to hurry to get it done to see the results. My advice for anyone wanting to try this on your own. Take your time and then take more time and finally don't rush and take your time.

Stripped of original blue after removing what I thought was all the bad finish.
    [​IMG]

Final results.
    [​IMG]

Final results.
    [​IMG]

Also it hasn't completely finished curing yet. The blue is supposed to set for 24hrs with an oil on it to set up and even out.

12. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

:thumbsup: Great work

Does he still wanna display it?

13. Adjuster

Adjuster

I'm sure he does. He hasn't seen it yet. My friend is not a gun guy. He is going to look at it and think it is a brand new gun. He will be amazed.

14. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

Honestly, that gun doesn't look too bad at all with the new finish. It could always be better, but for what it is, I'd be happy with that.

15. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

I think you did a stellar job considering how it looked before! Very cool... never used the cold blue and it looks like it turned out good.

16. Adjuster

Adjuster

The cold blue kit was $14.00 at Bass Pro Shop. This is my 3rd refinish and all have went very well. The kit does work good for its intended purpose. All in the prep work and just follow the directions.

17. Berto

Berto woo woo

Looks downright pimp, good job.:cool:

18. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

It ought to have a job. That'd be a lifesaver at the right moment.